Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How will the stimulator help when you have scar tissue

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I was just wondering, I have be ok to have that stimulator put in my back a trial run you might say. Could this possible help me i have had 7 surgerys since 2004, I just can't see putting a stimulator in my back helping with the pain that is in my lower back and runs through and around my right leg. Another question i take 60 mpg of oxy every 12 hrs, i used to take 20 but your bobdy gets immune to it. Where does it end, I see Stracker said he takes 300 mpg everyday are you afraid that you will be takiing 350-400 one day? Worried suffer.

• i've had 6 surgeries and plenty of scar tissue...you have had 7...my doc thinks it will help. i'm going for it. why not try we cant just wait this thing out....hang in there pete
  • The neurostimulator is designed to function in a couple of different ways depending upon the problem it is being used for. Even though scar tissue has developed and may be the root cause of the problem, the stimulation field can "ignore" that and get a signal past it so you can gain some relief.

Stimulation fields can be "steered or driven" to specific areas to deal with the pain. The doc will evaluate the area of pain and the cause of the pain and based on that will select the type of lead or leads best suited for that pattern.

• BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I had a spinal fusion L5-S1 Aug 07. The pain returned 4-5 weeks post op. I had no pain directly after the surgery. My Dr. kept telling me he removed a ton of scar tissue from a previous surgery and it was the nerves healing that needed to settle down. Two years later, still dealing with pain. I had an SCS implanted to cover the pain in my buttocks and down my left leg. At the time of my trial the pain was so bad I was on medical leave and not working. I couldn’t sit or stand more than a few minutes. So I did the trial with enough pain relief to be considered a success. The permanent was implanted. I felt like I was doing pretty well. Dr started to cut back my meds. I went back to work part time. After a month I started back full time. Sitting at a desk 9 hrs a day is really painful. It got to the point I couldn’t get the SCS to cover my pain. I met with my rep and had the SCS reprogrammed a few times. It covers my areas, but not the intense pain. She upped the intensity, and was amazed at the amount of stimulation I could handle. No matter how the rep tried it will not cover my pain. I had another CT scan and was told everything was stable and that the only problem that they could find was excessive scar tissue. My PM Dr. is at a loss. How could it help then not? I explained that during the trial and in the beginning I was not sitting at a desk 9 hrs a day. So basically my SCS is not helping with the pain from the scar tissue. I’m back on strong meds and trying ESI’s again. Everyone is different so hopefully it will help you. You never know until you try.
  • Your description relates to my experience.

Prior to the SCS, I was fully reclined 23 hours a day. Any movement, be it sitting, walking, etc., triggered and flared my permanently damaged S1 nerve. I had little to no back pain because I had almost no activity.

Since the SCS, I am out and about, whenever and almost whatever I want to do. When at home, I still am reclined to help the new back pain I have, back pain from mechanical reasons. All my new activity, which I consider a blessing!!

I am not working and probably cannot with my severe balance issues due to continued numbness hips to toes laterally, but the deal is: The SCS gave me so much of my life back, that the meds are still needed for me new activity I'm able to do.

If I were staying reclined 23 hours a day, I'm positive I would have been able to get off some or all of my meds. But, I see all of this as a blessing, and do not fret that I am still on LA meds (BT meds have been dramatically decreased.)

Are most people living a similar life prior to the SCS, although in desperate levels of pain? IE, are they working and will continue working? Do they return the same/similar level of activity? Was I an unusual case? I don't know.

But to get so much increased ability for activity has been a huge blessing and given me my life back. The new/increased back pain can be controlled with muscle relaxers and taking it easy after a trip or doing too much, etc. But I'm not stuck in my chair anymore, so I am thrilled.

I've never been told how much scar tissue I have, although the SCS trial and permanent procedures were extremely difficult due to scar tissue, so I just assume.

As "C" said, the pulsing can be driven to different areas. The trial is for you to decide if any of that will work, which is why it is SO important to go back for tweaking during the trial and give it the best test possible.

Take care,

• i know people on here that are taking over 1000mg per day {the normal dose is 400mg max but up to 1200mg in extreme cases{BNF}
This discussion has been closed.