Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op and insicion has fluid draining...

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has this happen to anyone..I have fluid coming from my incision on the lower back..I'm 6 weeks out going back to the Dr's in the morning...

Maria ~

Fusion 8/5/09

• Did this just start to happen or has it been oozing all along since surgery?
  • Hi Gwennie17

This is the second time.The first time was when I came home on the 10th of August. By the 12th I started with a lump over the incision and everyday it has been there getting bigger it covered the palm of my hand. The following week is when it started draining went on Keflex and the next day the swelling started to go away and finally the drainage stopped.

I have been having very bad days these past couple of days. Monday the pressure in my back and legs were so bad almost unbearable.Monday night my left foot was twitching and my toes. I stood up and there again the lump is back then the following day more drainage....

I'm not sure what to think at this point! Is this part of recovery?Is this normal? ect.

• Oh, goodness NO. It is not normal to have anything draining this long after surgery. Did you have a drain while you were in the hospital? One thing you want to be sure of is that you are not leaking any spinal fluid. I really don't know much about this topic so can't offer much in the way of help. I assume you have been on the phone to your surgeon??
  • I have been in touch with the Dr's these past few weeks. I have a history of spinal fluid leaks. I'm not sure what to think this time around???? I go to the Dr's this morning..

Did you suffer from pressure in your low back and legs during recovery?

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
  • I'm not sure what you mean by pressure? Since I don't know, I guess my answer would be no.

I'm very glad you are getting some medical attention this morning. Please let us know what is done for you.