Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

looking for some info from people with nerve damage!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been wondering if there is anyone else out there with nerve damage that affects there muscles. For instance i know about muscle weakness from nerve damage but could you also have tightness in your muscles that doesn't go away and constant pain in the muscles? Does anyone experience this? Just trying to find other reasons for why my muscles don't want to relax besides the whiplash.Just wondering if the accident stirred up the nerve damage and made it worse.Wondering if i should go back to my neurologist and have another exam done? Just wondering lots!!

• My nerve damage is in the lumbar spine and affects my right leg. It's sometimes hard to separate out what is muscular pain vs. nerve pain. But I would think if the motor nerve is damaged, it could result in changes in the muscle. Is this a type of cramp or an ache?
  • Tammy I can feel your pain - literally!!

I had shoulder,upper back, around the collar bone and up the right side of my face pain after my car accident. After rotator cuff surgery the pain was still there so they sent me for spine MRI. 3 MRIs later they sent me to a neuro surgeon. He said that since I didn't have "classic" herniated disk symptoms he couldn't help me.

So now I am at a neurologist who is treating me for what he discribes as nerve spasms. He claims that the accident can cause your nerves to go into a shock that makes them act crazy and irregularly. This also triggers muscle spasms to protect the neck.

Now I'm on Skelaxin for muscle spasms and neurontin to relax the nerves.

His belief is that once I get to the appropriate level with the neurontin I will be pain free. When that maintains for at least a month I can start reducing as long as the pain stays away.

Bad news is that if this is the right treatment it will be many months. Also I'm functioning OK on 500 mg of neurontin a day but most are up over 2000 mg a day. I don't know what will happen to me at that level.

It is very frustrating because there don't seem to be any tests that show what is happening. I know the insurance company is going to be a bitch with this one. ANd if I have to stop working it's really going to be trouble.

Good Luck with the neurologist. It seems to be the right place for this problem. Let me know what yours says.
  • I also wondered the same thing. My muscle's never seem to want to relax. I get knots in them also. My Neurologist said it will go away, it just takes time, and its caused from the weakness, but when I said, "WHY ARE THEY WEAK ALL THE TIME", he just looked at me!!! My PT said that it takes about 1 year for it to resolve itself! So, who knows!! I know my nerve is healing, as I see improvements every day. The Dr. did tell me to measure my improvements, in months, not days or by the week. Also, the PT said, over worked, weak muscles will react by getting tight, and as they get stronger, they will start to relax more. I HOPE SO!! When I ask my PT about permanent nerve damage, she said I didn't as she can see the improvements. She told me to ask someone who does not see me every day, to judge my improvement, and when I do that, everyone is shocked that I don't see the improvement! They see more range of motion, etc. so my muscles must be doing something. Its been 8 long months!!!! Sorry, I don't have all the answers, it is just so fustrating! sweetpotatoe57
  • I too have nerve damage that is permanent. I have the aching in my left arm and numbness in my fingers. My doctor told me to be patient, that it sometimes takes up to a year for nerves to heal. After that whatever you experience may not go away. I'm not a doctor but I say an accident could have caused your symptons. Feel better.
  • PT told me that nerves heal at the rate of 1 mm per day. So 40 days or so per inch. I have no idea how long these nerves are. I am guessing that it isn't a straight line.

I have also heard that nerve and muscle spasm are a protective reaction to pain caused by other injuries. As I increase these meds I am beginning to fell random pains that are typical for herniated disc (my real problem) that aren't there normally. I hate to think that once I get the nerves and muscle relaxed that the disc will start hurting..

....nope it never seems to end....
  • thanks for the info,i appreciate it.My pain in my muscles is just a constant pain,not sharp ,not achy just strong and constant.I know that i'm having nerve pain also and i get it all over my body i notice if i try and do things to fast and over use my body the nerve pain gets bad.I do have some neurotin left from when i was on it before i had my surgery but i don't want to take it again without a doctors supervision and i know i won't need the doseage that they had me on before my surgery.So if the pain gets really bad i take one and see if it helps if not then i take a second one.Hopefully when i see my doctor next week about the mri i can get her to make an apt. for me with my neurologist again cause i'm sure she'd be much better at handling my problems now then my own family doc. She doesn't seem to know what to do about my situation.