Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will I dance again?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Exercise and Rehab
For the past 9 months, I have been taking African Dance. Dancing helps my spirit and soul, it acts as a natural anti-depressant. Two weeks ago, I had to see my doctor because my hips felt on fire and my leg had shooting pain and toe numbness. The ortho doc determined that my s1 was bulging or herniated causing the nerve to send the most painful and annoying feelings down my thigh and behind my knee/calf. Today I had a guided epidural injection. I am still feeling calf pain and knee pain. I am feeling quite discouraged because this has been my second week without dance. I find myself crying a lot because of the pain and because I feel depressed. I don't have anyone to talk to because my husband seems short with me right now. I just want to dance again...has anyone returned to their old lives after back and leg pain?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Can we return to our former selfs? That is so much of a loaded question, there are so many variables involved.
    If I were to make a blanket statement, it would be once you have some disc problems, not minor but major you MAY not be able to return to everything you did before, but if you try hard and harder each day giving it 100%, then 150% you will be amazed at how much you can continue to do:

1) Always, always, always ask your doctor. I could say you cant do anything, or I could say you could dance to your hearts content. I could be wrong, I could be right, I just try to give my personal advice based on my own experiences

2) There are somethings we can never return to do.
    I first damaged my spine in 1966-1968 during my High School Varisty Football days. Could I return to playing touch football? Probably, could I return to the hard hitting helment to helmet conclusions?
    No, thats what caused the problems to begin with

We all have to exhibit a level of common sense in terms of what we can and what we cant do after having spinal problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by especially with the distance between you and your husband right now.you will find lots of understanding here!! :D Ron has lots of good advice. :D good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the encouragement. Today, I am feeling a little better. At least I am not rolling on the floor like I did most of last weekend. I still have calf pain and tingling in my toes. My back is hurting but I hope with time, I will be able to get some PT and do the exercises that will help improve my QOL.

• plenty of people recover from disc trouble. statisticly 95% recover within three years. on this site there are weight lifters, competitive bike riders and marathoners who have returned to activity. i personally was out of skiing for a year in 1970 and then returned for 30 yrs of skiing. the odds are in your favor. follow your drs orders....pete
  • Hey Anita,

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in - about your husband. I may be totally wrong, but he may be feeling a bit cranky about the situation because its his job to protect you and make everything OK...and this is something he has no control over. Maybe you could get him to help you with your rehab exercises, even if you don't really need his help. It'll give him a feeling of being not-so-useless.

or I could be totally wrong...:^)

• So glad you joined SH, the people here are so amazing they will give support, advice and generally welcome you with loving arms. I am still learning about my spinal issues and its a journey which at times can reduce us to tears, but can also make us smile when we attain a success. With your hubby it could be similar to my man, he wants to fix me and he can't. It made me feel so sad, then I told him how I felt and luckily for me we are now a team and he helps me with many tasks that are bringing us closer.PapaRon gives great advice so good luck and welcome - Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • When? what? how well?

The magic words are: rest, be patiant with yourself and when your pains are fading - start excercise. But, never if excercise cause you pain.

You can, surely, trust the advices given here before mine.

Hi Anita.
    I havent been here for a while and question about excercising - brought me back to this wonderful community.

People come and go. Except the "angles" (moderatores) which are always here with, guess what: lots of patience.

Y.S IL