Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Left thigh numb & tingling 4 days post op lumbar fusion

NEBakerNNEBaker Posts: 53
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. Just a question, hopefully not a big concern. I'm 4 days post op for anterior lumbar fusion of L4L5. I'm getting out of the hospital today. Woohoo! I'm ready to go home. Yesterday I noticed a numbness/tingling sensation on my upper left side. It's not interfering with standing or walking. It feels like the weight of a text book is resting on my leg. PA and Dr. both say it should go away. No idea of how long. Anyone out there have this experience? It's really annoying.

• Glad things went well. This is fairly common. As my doctor's PA explained to me, the patients are put in some fairly "awkward" positions on the operating room table. Even though they try to be careful and be sure the table is padded, etc. sometimes the patient ends up with some nerve that has been compressed during the surgery itself, and it takes awhile for it to come back.

Not to minimize your problem, but be happy it only feels numb instead of giving you horrendous pain. It should clear up fairly soon.

I hope you are planning on going home and taking it easy. There are only two things you need to be doing during these first early days of recovery -- rest and walk, rest and walk. That's it. Do not try to rush your recovery. Give your body time to heal. Everything else in your life can wait.

xx Gwennie
  • I would just add that you should pay attention to the area for a while. Is the area growing, the numbness spreading?

My numbness post-op spread from just a vague feeling to full on block of wood and from just small areas (my calf and pinky toe) to a larger area (over to big toe and whole outside half of right leg.

Most of the time it's just standard post-op after working on nerves - an the fact that you have tingling - it makes me think you'll be fine.

Don't stress over it, but do watch it.
  • I woke up from surgery on 8/13 with. No feeling or movement in legs. The first thing to come back was front of thighs. Gradually the right leg has come back to about 80%, while left leg is about 25%. Had to have a second surgery five days later to deal with a very large hematoma. While doc was in there he did a whole lot more in an attempt to fix the legs. It had no effect on the legs. And after second surgery major bladder and bowel issues started! Doc keeps saying give it time...
  • Glad to hear you are doing well but make sure when you go home you rest,rest,and rest!!! I had surgery last month anterior and posterior L4-L5 fusion. I did have numbness in my inner thigh also on the left..

The Dr said it was normal it lasted about 3 weeks and it did come back...I hope from hear things continue to go well for you..Keep in touch

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
  • a lot of swelling from you ALIF? I had a 360 fusion on Tuesday Sept 15th and my front side is so very swollen. My feet feel like the are about to pop and the skin on my legs are very tight.

Wishing a fast and speedy recovery!
  • S-

I don't have much swelling. The third day post op I looked in the mirror before taking a shower and was surprised at the way my mid section looked. I'm slim and I looked like a pair. It appeared to be fluid retention from the constant IV drip. 6 days post op, I think I look the same as I did prior to surgery, just a little puffy around the middle. I didn't have any issues with swelling in my feet or tightness of skin. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. If it isn't enough that you just had ALIF, now you have another issue in front of you.

Is your rear and the bottom of your feet sore from lying flat so much - or maybe since you had a 360 you are lying on your side. I still haven't tried that. My heels and rear are so sore, I'm going to have to try a new position soon, but it's kinda scary.

I hope that you are doing better. Let me know.

• Hi Kristin

Glad you're doing well and don't have too much swelling in your tummy. I'll be having an ALIF next month and hope I don't swell up too much, but I'm slim too.

Keep resting and walking and hope you can get a bit comfortable soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hope this finds you doing better each day. I am glad you found something for the bath tub. Just be careful and dont slip. I had my kids and grandkids here this weekend. So I didnt get much rest. But it is always great to see them. Makes the days fly by when they are here though. Hope you are able to get some good food now that you are home. Let me know how you are doing. Take care.. Love Robin
  • I recently had a Lumbar Fusion of L4, L5, and a laminectomy of L5,S1 on 09-15-09. Post-op I spent two days in hospital given Steroids to reduce swelling in back as well as Antibiotics--6 Doses prevent infection. Now it's 09-29-09 and I have major numbness in both feet and in left and right thighs contributing to me not being very steady walking because weakness in both areas.The PA told me that swelling was normal as well as tingling and sometimes it can take up to a month or two before it goes away,....Does anyone know if this is normal or will I be a statistic of lower extremity paralysis. Feet are so swollen that I can'r even see veins in feet and they feel like someone is holding my feet tightly and squeezing them as well as my area around the ankles is swollen.......Anyone know anything about this and what is normal and what is not normal?? Thanks