Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I fell last week, now in more pain-need ideas

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
A week ago, on Sept 9th, I woke up about 4:00am, needing to use the bathroom. I have a 3 1/2lb chihuahua, so to keep her corraled while I'm at work, I have a pet gate. Well, when I got up, sleepy and dopy (2 out of the 7 dwarfs :D ) I forgot the gate was there. I fell very hard on my tile floor, on my right hip. :''( By the time I got off work the next night, I couldn't raise my right leg enough to step up on the curb. After looking here, mayo clinic website, and talking to health decision coach, I spent the next 4 hrs at the ER getting X-rays of my pelvis & hip. The ER dr said it wasn't broken, and told me if it still hurt in 3-4 days to see my PCP. Fast forward to tonight, it still hurts. I can't lay on that side, hurts climbing stairs, etc. When the X-ray tech did the X-rays, he put me in one position called froggy. Laying on back, knees up, and legs relaxed out to the side. Severe pain! If I do that while laying in bed, it still causes the same pain. And walking hurts me more than usual too.

Could a fall like this have caused my bulging L4-5 to herniate worse? Could I have torn ligaments or tendons? (Not good on anatomy, I'm assuming there are tendons in hip, LOL)

I don't trust this hospital, but only one in area. They told my husband his MRI's looked good, 3 weeks before he was dx'ed with cancer of the lung, lymph nodes, 2 brain tumors, and spinal tumors. :(

I can't afford to go to my PCP, I have so many medical bills already, and haven't gotten the hospital bill yet. Just hoping for some ideas about what I might have done to myself. Any ideas guys & gals?

• Hi Maggie,

Sorry I don't have much to offer you, but maybe you just need time to heal. Taking a nasty fall on a tile floor is painful. Have you been using heat or ice, taking any meds? Resting?
    That's all I can think to suggest.
  • Sorry that you are in such a pickle at the moment. It is always a possibility that further herniation of the disc can occur with the trauma of falling like that. If that's the case, then I would say trying rest, anti-inflammatory meds and ice may be your best bet. If it doesn't get any better though, find a way to see your doc.

I hope something works for you and soon.

• Oh dear......I know what a fall can do to a "spiney" like us.
    I have to agree with "C" on what to do.
    I injured a shoulder in a fall and am using ice on it. It seems to help. My Doctor ordered PT for me and they also use ice.
    Good luck ...
    Sending a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    or a trip as i just did sometimes causes jarring compression by a jolt. And that causes inflammation. Inflammation puts pressure on everything, especially your nerves.
    Too get the inflammation down I use ice, 20 min on and 30 min off. And a anti inflammatory. I do this as long as it takes until the pressure is off of the nerve or nerves.
    In my situation I couldn't get up from sitting kneeling or bending. Until the inflammation subsided.
    I hope this might help.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.