Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord Stimulators

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've heard good stories from a couple ppl on the boards about SCS and was just wondering about others out there that have had experiences with these. Good or bad.
Any information would be great.

Thanks, Christina

• If you type SCS into the search box on the top of the page, it will bring up hundreds of posts on here about Spinal Cord Stimulators.

• No worries. I figure that you'll find more information by reading all of the posts already written, then waiting for all of us to rewrite what has been discussed at great length.

However, please do ask any questions that you come up with or anything you need to have clarified a bit more.

• Are you looking to get a scs or do you already have one?
    Is it for back pain or leg pain?
    Sounds line you're having a rough time, so sorry and hope you find the help and advice you need.
    Goodluck to you!!!!
  • I had Surgery in October 2008 , It was a spinal Fusion done on L5 and s1 of my disc.I am still in a lot of pain. Somedays it's really hard just to get out of bed. I also have this stabbing throbbing pain that starts in my lower back and runs up my spine and into my head. (usally it will last about a minute and then subside) The CT scan is showing that it is not all the way fused and now the surgeon is telling me I may required Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion ...He explained that they would now take bone from my hip area and put some medication on the area they are fusing...I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem and opted for the second Surgery. The First Surgery was hell...I was is so much pain after ...and spent almost 4 months in bed. I had PT for almost 6 months after and really feel no relief. I am debating now if I should do another surgery ...I am also in the process of appealing my disability ...I just had two Neurologist fill out forms saying that I am disabled . I am hoping once those are submitted to the judge I will be approved . I also have a lawyer who is wonderful and has been working on my case !! Please if anyone has any advice about this surgery ...good or bad ..I will take it !! Thanks so much !!!
  • Same thing happened to me, Im not fully fused after my L5-S1 which i had in june '08. Still in major pain even with me going to pain management. Surgeon wants me to have another surgeon, an explorative surgery, so he can look around and see exactly what fused and what didnt. Just hearing him describe how they test the new bone growth made me sick to my stomach, stating they try and pick you up off the table with the rods and drop you to see if the bone moves or breaks. I thought I was gonna vomit.
    He says if the bone holds then they would just take out the hardware and see if it helps with the pain, if not I could try a scs. He said if the bone doesnt hold then they would go ahead and remove some of the scar tissue and scrap the bone until it starts to bleed and redo the fusion with bigger screws. The chances of the second fusion not fusing are double what they were the first time and he also added that subsequent surgeries keep adding to that percentage.
    These were the two things that could happen during surgery.

I could just skip the surgery for now and have an SCS put in place. So no hollie, I dont have one in place yet.

I would like to know exactly what the surgery for both would be like. I dont know what to do, Im driving my husband crazy and he doesnt know what I shuld do either.