Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the group.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thank you for the welcome. I have been researching anterior cervical disectomy fushion. I am scheduled for surgery on Nov. 3rd, 2009. Tues., Sept. 22nd I am scheduled for a mylogram, to assist the surgeon in deciding if I need 2 or 3 fushions. I have read so many conflicting things related to this surgery, I am confused. Hard collar, soft, 6 week recovery to 3 months, own graft or cadaver. My neck issues are not from an injury just degenerative. I also have same diagnosis for lower back but have kept that surgery at bay with epidurals. Thank you for any information. Iris

• welcome to spine health. it sounds like you are being very determined to get all the info you need. well this is the best place to come for info. what i like is your dr is getting all the info necessary for making his decisions. my surgeon liked as many tests as possible to fully understand the mechanics of what was going on. the myelogram will hopefully give him necessary info. there are plenty of articles and videos here regarding fusion so take a peek, talk with others and even make a few friends....pete
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Its always good to hear from members that really want to know as much as they can about their medical situation and upcoming surgery. You will find tons of information here. The forums are alive with other members who may have experienced the same thing as you will be doing.

I have had multiple lumbar and cervical surgeries. For me, the cervical surgeries were easier and my recovery was better. But there are other members who have had the reverse.
    I had an ACDF on C5/C6 in 1996 and then C6/C7 in 2000. Both times I decided to go with my own bone graft (from my hip) Thats because my personal choice was to have something that was part of me. For that reason I also made sure I gave enough of my own blood prior to each surgery so when I needed blood, it would be mine.
    There is always a risk when you have your own bone graft, because essentially that is another surgery.
    On my second one, I developed Osteomyelitis which is an infection of bone or bone marrow. I was released from the hospital with a full pict line in my arm and had home IV treatments 3x day for 6 weeks. Put that aside, my actual recovery from the ACDF's was ok. In both situations I used Hard collars. I wore them 24 hours a day for 6 weeks. It seems like many doctors today go without the hard collar and some without any collar. I guess that is really up to the surgeon. I have not read any pros/cons to the collar situation.
    If it is a hard collar, get two. I had a Philidephia Collar image
    During my recovery some of the important things I counted on was a Wedge to sleep on. It sort of gave me that hospital bed incline. I also had a lot of cold soft food on hand (ice cream!!!!)
    One of our members put togehter a list of items that you should have coming home from any spinal surgery:
    Pre and Post Op Must Haves

The ACDF surgery itself has become pretty common.
    Here are some Spine-Health articles and videos dealing with cervical problems and surgery:

Neck Surgery
    ACDF Video
    Here is a video on a Cervical ESI (Spinal Injection)
    Cervical ESI

Again Welcome aboard. I am sure you have registered for the right site to help you before your surgery and then afterwards
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to a good place to do research and get answers to your many questions.. :D good luck and get all your questions answered before you proceed!!! =D> Jenny :)