Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myelogram and Spinal Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi,

I have been living with lower back pain for about hmm 17 years.. I am 27. In the last 3 years it has become bad. In the last year it has become unbearable. I walk with a cane. I work in Manhattan and live in Jersey City. Commuting by subway is blessing and a curse.

I have finally decided after about 8 years of talking about it to get a a Spinal Fusion. It is going to be be at two levels most likely. It is L4 and L5.. i am not sure the bottom two disc will be removed and both fused. My doctor has sent me to get multiple tests and to see multiple docs.

I had a Myelogram on Friday 9/18. It was excruciating. My legs went numb from the pain i was in constant spasm.. i could barely walk. The doctor giving me the myelogram could not believe my reaction. has anyone had this kind of reaction? I am going to get a discogram next. How bad is it?

I had 3 Epidurals in 3 places. Each time it was hell and a lot of screaming b/c of the spasms. I do not know how the hell I am going to make it threw them sticking three needles into my discs. I am scared. I will suck it up and do it but I have read it is kind of a sketchy procedure. My doctor wrote a book and even said he doesn't recommend it often. Can anyone tell me how bad it will be?
advertisement

Comments

• hi...i've had myelogram 3 times. the first two didnt hurt and the 3rd was terriblle like yours.
    i have read many posts here on the discogram and i wont sugarcoat them. everyone says they really hurt. i guess thats what dr looks for. the pain tells doc where the pain is coming from.
    the fusion itself may not have as severe pain and hopefully it will improve your chronic pain. when youre having your next test just think that pain is temporary and better days lay ahead ;)
  • Thanks. That is what i keep thinking but i physically do not think i can have 3 discs poked without being given some kinds of meds. I also have graves which causes anxiety and a panic disorder. I am all kinds of broken.

The thing about the discogram is i know it is a maybe thing a maybe not. I do not think it is a coincidence that when my second disc turned black and herniated and decided to live on my nerve that the pain got worse.

My doc wrote"I got your Back" his name is Nataniel Tindel and he is a really good doc but i do not see why he is sending me for tests that in his book he is iffy about.

I am the perfect candidate for spinal fusion, as i have been told for many docs, but the stabbing me needles in my constantly spasming back is just effing terrible.

I know in the end if i am in even half the pain i am now i will have a different life. I got married in January and literally had to excuse myself to go cry from the pain at the end. During my ceremony I just kept thinking go quicker i am going to fall down... then again i was wearing 4" Manolos but it was my wedding. I took them off at the ceremony.
  • there are some posts about discogram on here, one was my own experience, they really do hurt and i was in pain for weeks after but im not you and you may not have such a hard time, best wishes
This discussion has been closed.