Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica dosage

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 9 months post op Decompression of L4L5S1.
4 months post op from a PLIF L4L5S1.

After almost a 2 month battle with my insurance company, I was finally given permission to use Lyrica for neuropathy. My PCP gave me 150mg twice daily.

My problem is that I think the dose is too high. When I took samples post op, I used 75mg 3 times daily. Now I'm doubling that and it's playing games with my head. 8} I feel like I'm drunk and my mouth is going 90mph, then I crash. I hate it.

I'm so grateful I got the meds and don't want to complain, but it's tripping me out. Plus the money factor. They weren't cheap. I know when these are gone, I am going to ask for another script for 75mg 3 times daily.

Is there anyway I can open the capsules and use half. I tried to twist open the caps and they won't budge.

Thanks and blessings, Kathy

• I am taking Savella. It is used for the same reasons. You can drink on it(I was honest with my doc and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to OD if I drank too much)

I want to go off it b/c i don't feel like it is helping me but if lyrica is helping you i don't see why savella wouldn't. the only thing that sucks is you get a little nausea when you first start taking it. Just eat some food and it helps with it.

You may want to consider it or at least talk to your doc about it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    your lyrica. When I was using it, they were tablets which with a pill cutter did well. But, more importantly, if you are not doing well with the current dosage, discuss this with your doctor.

When I first was on Lyrica, it was 75mg 2x day. That was for about a month and I was doing ok. Then my doctor upped that to 150 2x day. Within two or three days, I started feeling negative effects. My legs, especially my ankles and toes started to swell. My toes almost twice their sizes. I was always tired, I could fall asleep in the middle of a conversation.
    I knew this wasnt good. I dropped back to the original dose. Immediately I started to feel better.
    But the whole idea about Lyrica turned me off.
    I switched to Neurontin which has been better for my nerve pain. I stared at 300mg a day, and now I am using 2600mg a day. No, negative side effects...
    Well, let me take that back.... I have had a problem with Short Term memory and there has been a weight gain. The weight gain was no different than with Lyrica. But with either one of those medications, I've noticed that losing that weight has become seemingly impossible.
    I am sure being close to 60 doesnt make it any easier, but these nerve medications do something when it comes to weight gains
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am surprised your doctor would start you out on such a high dosage of Lyrica. The standard beginning dosage is 75 mg twice a day...and that amount was considered the amount that worked best for the greatest percentage of people with fewest side effects in the drug trials. When you go beyond that dosage, you start developing more side effects. I know many on this board have had problems with swelling at higher dosages...myself included.

Also Savella and Lyrica may both be prescribed for fibromyalgia, but they are not the same category of drugs. Savella is a SNRI and functions like an antidepressant and Lyrica is an anti-convulsant. They may both be used to treat neurolgia but they effect different parts of the brain and therefore, work in slightly different ways.

Maybe you could take one pill per day until you can get in touch with your doctor. Also it takes awhile to get used to taking Lyrica. Many people feel very tired on it for about a month while their bodies are getting used to it.
  • I have been on 50mg 3 tims a day for many years. I'm about to have 360 fusion on Oct 6 and Oct 8. Surgeon wanted me to have a nerve block for meralgia paresthetica before surgery and to increase my Lyrica to 75 mg 3 times a day. Some on this site call them stupid pills because they do make you stupid. They do cause short term memory loss, but not as bad for me as Neurontin. Everybody is different but that seems like a high dosage. I would be setting in a corner drooling! Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.
  • I do appreciate the input and advice.

When I took samples post op, it began at 75mg twice daily and upped to 3 times daily and that worked fine. But this was prescribed by my neuro's office. The meds I have now is from my pcp.

One thing I found curious was that the capsules are almost empty feeling. As if only about 1/4 full, so trying to divide it would probably be impossible. But I would still give it a try. I will call the pharmacist tomorrow and talk to them about it. They'll not take the meds back so I do have to use it.

I didn't take another cap (150mg) until 8:00p.m. to see how I'd do on 1 daily, and I had the burning and shooting pains, (was on my feet about 3 hours grooming my 2 dogs today) so it's going to be necessary for me to spread them out over a period of time. And 150mg isn't going to be enough.

There has been conflict with my insurance regarding the Lyrica and they said to take gabapentin. A doc from the past prescribed gaba for my fibromyalgia, but I had hallucinations--orange spiders. @) So this time, I tried again but at a lower dose, 100mg 3 times daily (hubby laughed. He's got MS and takes 1800mg daily for now)and suffered shortness of breath and anxiety attacks.

Thanks for the info regarding Savella Glitter and Gwennie. I put it on my list to talk to doc about it, but if it's an SNRI, I probably won't be able to take it. Have treatment resistant depression and can't tolerate any of the serotonin group. I read somewhere someone talked about Zonegran(sp). But I need to do more research on it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. It helps so much having someone to talk to about what's going on. Blessings, Kathy