Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe hair loss

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
Has anyone else experinced severe hairloss? I mean it is starting to look like I am on Chemo here. My hair brush is full after just one stroke through my hair. The shower is full, my bath towel is full, even the clothes I wear are full of my hair that is falling out by the hands full.

I know stress can cause this, and yes I have a lot of stress in my life, who in constant pain doesn't right? Does anyone know of what I can do to slow this down before I have to go out and by a scarf or hat (won't wear the wigs lol). It is really starting to worry me. It has been going on for months now and it's not a whole lot left.

I am part Cherokee and have always had a thick head of hair, now it is getting way thinner than I would like. I mean at least half my hair has fallen out. I use to have to use a large ponytail holder, now I am using the smaller ones.

It is really concerning me a good deal.

• I had severe hairloss when I was vitamin deficient. I would get to your Dr. for blood tests and a physical. This was just my experience and always follow up with your Dr. of course. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Kathy,
    I would definitely follow up with your doctor about this. Hair loss can be caused by many different things, oncluding certain meds, hormonal imbalances, stress and diet. Here's a link with some info for you.

APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I also had a problem with my hair thinning and I think it was the pain meds doing it. I don't know. But it has stopped falling out and seems to be getting thicker again.....thank goodness.
    I started B12 injections a few months ago and that may be helping. I noticed that when I shampoo my hair now not as much comes out now.
    I was like you, it was everyplace!! The only thing I am doing different is the B12 injections.
    My hair was thick and curly.....it is still not as thick as it use to be but it is not as thin as it was either. I also noticed it is curlier for some reason. Go figure.
    Patsy W
  • Hi Kathy,
    I have the same problem but it is getting better. I have very long hair.. My doc said it could be the neurontin and as much as i don't like having my hair fall out I cant stand the pain if I don't take my neurontin.
    It was real bad when I first started taking..

I also get a B-12 shot when I go to doc and even have script for and can give myself a shot. I also take sublingo b-12 which is good and taste like candy.
    Their is also a B-complex in dropper form you put under tongue.(I have problems with digestion and many meds don't get to the right place, at the right time)
    I'm not sure what is helping with my hair exactly but I would think the vit b-12 would help you..(suggestion only)
    Even if your b-12 blood work comes back normal. it may not be normal for you. mine always comes back low side of normal but i need it higher..

Just my experiences... and a few suggestions..
    I also try and keep my hair in long braid when I sleep.
    Hugs to all....patsy
  • Post Deleted, Solicitation at Spine-Health is not permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 03/21/11
This discussion has been closed.