Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Bulge L5-S1: Sciatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had a back injury almost a year ago, L5-S1 mild disc bulge. I saw a orthopedic surgeon, got a shot, went to physical therapy. Most of the back pain is gone, the problem is frequently occurring almost constant sciatica pain. It is not terrible, but it still dictates most of my activities to avoid more pain.
Would it a advisable to make an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon?

• The best ways I have found is to stretch everynight and everymorning, and as often in the day as you can think of it. I tried the cortisone shot for the first time today and I am hoping that works. But if it does not I have kept my sciatica under control (same cause s1 nerve, buldging disk.) by being carefull how I sleep (never on your side) and being really carefull for the first hour or so, I have found that the more contorting (or strectching and yawning) I do the more likely I am to find that spot that I will regret for the next few weeks or months. I take mild muscle relaxers and standard issue hydrocodone when it gets really bad. And dont sit still for too long. I have found that on the days it is really bad if I push it to the back of my mind and continue to work (i am a mechanic and a home remodeler so there is lots of lifting twisting and bending in my work) like nothing is wrong, eventually the pain will magicly disapear at least for the day. Not everytime but i have noticed that when I need the pain gone not being a baby about it seems to work for me. I discovered this when I was cleaning carpets wich is some of the hardest work I have ever done, specaily for those with a hurt spine. One morning I could barely drive, and after half a day of carrying a 200 lb scrubber up 3 to 4 flights of stairs 10 or 15 times. using the scrubber, and being on my hands and knees doing repairs. The pain would go away, or at least not really be such a pain in the butt (literaly), and in the knee and in the foot. I have been to many doctors concerning this problem and the real problem is that there is not much known as far as text book answers, everyones sciatica is different. Now I have NO formal medical training, but this is my story. I hope you can find something in it that helps you. One thing I can PROMISE, bed rest, or any kind of "rest" is bad. Seems to stiffin ya up and amplify things. Keep as active as you can. That over all has given me the most relief out of everything I have tried. Morphine sulfate, vicodin, percocet, any of that stuff. Stretch stretch stretch. i dont know if that really helps or not, but it always pulls on the area that hurts so it cant be bad to loosen things up

Just my .02