Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi from Australia

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone

I am living in Sydney, Australia but originally am from New Zealand.

I thought I'd introduce myself after desperately scrolling for answers on the forums here.

I have a herniated disc L5/S1 and after six weeks of seeing a chiropractor, it didn't get any better so I switched to Physio. Was starting to feeling good and then bang, all of a sudden it got 10 times worse overnight. I ended up in the Emergency room with absolute searing sciatic pain which was definitely a 10. They, of course, did nothing for me then other than give me a painkiller and send me on my way. I saw my GP who sent me for a nerve root injection, but I had to wait 9 days of hell for it. I couldn't stand or longer than 3 minutes at a time and was in the most horrific pain, even though on a steady supply of painkillers and Mobic.

The injection took me from a pain level of 9-10 on the day to now around a 7-8 a week later, and I am scheduled to have another injection in a weeks time which will be a 14 day gap. They recommended a second one on the day, saying that these are usually the most effective, rather than the first. Although it has given me alot more mobility and the ability to drive (in short bursts), I definitely still have horrendous pain in my leg.

Am wondering if anyone else has had a similar space between injections and had any more luck with them? I am starting now to wonder whether I am going to get my life back again??!!

Nice to meet you all here. I have been given a huge amount of empathy for anyone with back problems since this has happened to me!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by.. have you tried any of the nerve pain medications for the sciatica in your leg? talk to your doctor! i am sorry you are going through such terrible pain.. good luck in getting some pain control. Jenny :)
  • HI there - thanks for the welcome :) I am going to try the second shot first and see if that helps. The side effects (mainly weight gain) of those nerve meds worry me. I have heard of Lyrica only though, so maybe there are others which are better?
  • hi!! there are other nerve pain medications which you might try.. i am sure your doctor is aware of these. please don't let the fear of weight gain detour you from trying Lyrica.. i use it and it is the best medication i have found for my sciatica ever!! i did gain weight but was able to take it off, so it wasn't much of a problem.. good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon. :D Jenny :)