Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

emmeemm Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I am a new member, just thought I wouls give my background

I injured my lower back 5-22-07 hadmicrodecompression surgery on L4/5 8-16-07, went back to work 9-11-07 (Tradesman) re-herniated the disc 12-29-07 sneezing in my sleep! Had L4/5 fused 5-6-08.

I have been in pain since. Was released with permanent restrictions 2-24-09. Then in May had an epsiode of severe "lightning bolt" type pain 4-5 times went to ER, My surgeon ordered new Mri which showed L5-S1 disc bulge effecting nerve root with an anular tear.

Had ESI done on 8-25-09 and the PM Dr hit a nerve and I have been in as much pain numbness and weakness as I was before surgery.

I am affraid the nerve damage may be permanent. The Dr doesn't realy want to talk about it and said there is no more he can do.

I am now waiting for WC to approve a second opinion.

• thats what my doc said...nothing more can be done. i am getting scs...spinal cord stimulator...this monday. the scs and pain pump are considered last resort type options. you dont want to just throw in towel. maybe theres some less painful days ahead.....pete
  • Sorry to hear about your problems. I trust a second opinion will be better than the first. I'm new to this site as well and have found by looking at the post you cand find a world of information. I'm about to have a 360 fusion as soon as it can be scheduled.God doesn't put on us more than we can bear, but sometimes it get's mighty close. Praying for your better health, God Bless!
  • Thanks for your replys. I sometimes feel like throwing in the towel, I do not want more surgery so I don't know what else my options are besides controling the pain.

I am no better now then I was before the fusion, but I was told it was the only way I could get back to my trade as a building enginer. Now that is not going to happen and I am still in pain!
  • I'm unclear - do you have hardware?

If the ESI is what I remember my DH having (he was terribly reluctant to have back surgery) then I can tell you that he found all but no relief from them, his pain management dr. had him doing ESI's & the radio-thingy where they 'freeze' the nerves about 6 times a year! There was temporary pain relief, but his leg pain was always back and worse.

Finally he went to the ER. The neurosurgeon on call saw him and told him he needed surgery - now. He had foot drop as well as pain.

He ended up having the surgery and is now left with only backaches if he overdoes things. He rejoined the military, he is in the best shape of his life, he got his life back.

Have you had a Discogram? I cannot stress how much this helped me - it identified the location of the pain - my NS was set to work on L4-L5, but the Discogram showed the S1-L5 was the biggest pain generator. I would have had almost ZERO pain relief from just an L4-L5 fusion.

Welcome and bets of luck

• yes I have screws, rods and cages. I have not had a discogram
  • If I remember right when I had one of my ESI's before my PLIF one of them went into the nerve, It was aweful. The first round of ESI's were great but only lasted a few weeks. The second round was bad. The doc said yes that sometimes happens when we go in to far and hit a nerve.

It was in that 3-4 weeks after that I sought a referral for a NS. Yes the PLIF was a terrible recovery but I felt excellent this summer finally. I remember jogging one day and I realized I wasn't in pain.

Now my lumbar gets sore if I over do it, but I had been able to manage that pain with tylenol or advil.

Then my neck went sideways....

Good luck,