Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have my SCS trial on Nov. 17

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
I am at least gonna give it a try. I am hoping and praying that it works for me. My PM doctor went over all my questions and infact answered some that had been lingering in the back of my mind lol.

I am still not 100% sure it will be successful, I guess that comes from so many lost hopes along the way. But at least it is another step in the right direction.

• Good luck with your trial. Keep us posted on how it goes.

• On your trial, I know it's not for everyone but you have to atleast try. There are so many here with good results, hope you will be one of those!
    Keep us posted! And keep researching it and continue to get any questions answered before hand. I'm sure you will! You'll be in my thoughts and I'll say a prayer for you.
    Again good luck to you!
  • so happy you now can hope for a little relief. maybe you will be one of the 70% of people who get relief from the scs. nice to think that pain could be reduced....take care....pete
  • Good luck with your trial. I do hope it helps.
    Just do not over expect. It will not reduce your pain by 100% and you will still have to take high doses of pain meds but you know all this.
    We are all rooting for you and Pete too. Looking forward to hearing about your tial.
    Sending a hug and a prayer... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • i hope that you are successful with your trial and its what you hope for .like i am sure you know it wont remove all your pain and they do nothing for backache ..i have been told this by several pain consultants {that's the main reason i have not got one} i wish you all the best with your tho .just a point i know that they don't knock you out whilst you are having it installed ..but maybe you could have some light sedation just to keep you calm?
  • Hi Kathy, I know exactly how you are feeling. I am excited at the possibility that it may work for me. I'm just going to think positive and hope that this will be life changing for me. I'm just hoping that I can be somewhat "normal" again. I will keep you posted on how things are going for me. Take care,

Sincerely, Angela
  • Just wanted to set the record straight. There are several people on the forum that do get relief in the back. Hope your trial goes well.

• I want to sincerly thank each and every one for all the kind wishes and keeping me encouraged through this. I know that it may not work, or it may only help a small amount, but at this point I am willing to try anything that may improve my Quality of Life.

I know I will be in pain for the rest of my life, I can deal with that. For me the hard part is watching my grandbaby Madi grow up and want me to take her out to play in the yard, or even play inside and be in so much pain I can barely move.

If the SCS just gives me enough relief that I can do little things like walk in our yard and show her flowers, or swing her on the swing at the park, I will count it as a success. Even if its just for one day...

I missed so much with my own 2 girls between working, and being in pain. I missed parks and theme parks and zoo trips and picnics. The best I could do was movie nights and pizza. I just want to share some of that with Madi since I can't work anymore. Her laughter is the best pain med for me, it also gives me the strength to keep fighting for a better way of life. I will NEVER give up.

Thanks again to everyone, keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I am excited, a little nervous, but so very hopeful.

• I have but one suggestion for you, THINK POSITIVELY.

• Haven't a clue to what you just said. I was just trying to tell Kathy to be positive about her trial. Sorry you don't understand that.

• What comment are you referring to. I think you are out of line now. Pay attention to who is posting comments.
  • I was knocked out then woke up to feel the spot I needed relief then knocked out again.
    My scs failed me. I didn't fail mine. I had good trial and a good few months that's it.
    30 mgs of morphine is still alot of meds ontop of oxy??? If it was so great you'd be taking less. My few months if relief I was able to cut mine almost completely. But after that it hurt me to use it. Yeah alot of people get great relief but some of us not.
    You don't have to be so persistant to talk down to people in your post. You could just talk about yourself and your experience and let someone take whatever from someone elses replies. Your not patsy, you don't feel her pain and discomfort. Give us a break!
    Mine sux and I hoe it works fir others and I know others get good relief, but like you said, it's not fir everyone.
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend it for my dog. And that's how I truly feel about the thing!
    But I'm happy for all who get results, but it sounds like no one can still do without meds.
    And it is worth a try, at least.

• Dave so sorry, I really am I was off and on wrong person !!!
    Sorry to jack your thread kathy! I'll stop now!
    And I sincerely hope it works for you and you get relief!
  • I'm sorry, went back to fix it... Please forgive me... I am really sorry!!!
    I guess your name was the last I seen then I had a medicated brain fart.
    Have a good day please! I feel like a fool now!
  • A stim trial is exactly what it says it is ... a trial run to see if it will target and help with any or all of you pain. It's also to give the individual doing the trial the opportunity to find out if they can deal with the feeling of the stimulation or not.

It's a good idea to keep an open mind when going forward with a trial. Sometimes too much information can give a person preconceived ideas and it can sway the outcome of the trial. Very similar to sequestering a jury during a criminal trial. One of the reasons for that is to keep them from being influenced by the media bias. Post here are very similar to that.

Yes it's great to be educated on something before hand, but that's where it should stop. Each person needs to make up their own mind as to what is a success and what is not.

Kathy, you've read "the good, the bad and the ugly" on different member's experiences with spinal cord stimulation. As Michael and Dave so eloquently stated(in a Michael and Dave kind of way), keep and open mind, think positively, and be honest with yourself.

Best wishes for your trial,

• We all want you to think positive and have outstanding results. It sounds like you are being realistic. The SCS is a tool for pain control. Not a cure. You seem to know this. Some doctors believe that taking no meds. after the SCS is the goal. I am so glad my doctor does not agree. I use my SCS much like everything else. Heating pad, ice, rest and meds. I wish I could say that my permanent implants worked as good as my trials but for me that is not the case. Everyone is different and I hope your trial gives you a huge amount of relief!
  • but just hoping for a little better Quality of Life. Has anyone read the Quality of Life Scale? If so then you know where you are on the scale... I am at a 2. Not a great spot to be in!

Hoping for a great success with the SCS but if not I won't stop until I find something that does work for me.

• I hope it works wonderfully for you!! Different strokes for different folks, you never know unless you try right! Hope it goes great!
  • That's what it's all about... A better quality of life!!
    I really hope it's a success for you, I'll say a prayer for you.
    And again, alot of people here DO get great relief and coverage.
    I truly wish mine did me good like it did at first... I guess I'm just one of many who
    have had the bad go with it! Crap happens,LOL not funny but it does, and I just happen to step in it.
  • HollieSterling38 said:
    30 mgs of morphine is still alot of meds ontop of oxy??? If it was so great you'd be taking less.
    I'm not Michael, but I had to respond to this comment because I think it's extremely misleading and ignorant.

Michael clearly stated his drug regimen, before and after his SCS implant:
    Michael" said:
    I was taking 180mgs of ER morphine in the morning and night....and 10mgs of oxycodone every 4 hrs. along with nerve drugs... I had my SCS implanted.. and YES YES it was great. down to 30mgs morphine am/pm and 5 mgs of oxycodone every 6 hours..
    That means he reduced his extended release drug by 83% and his BT meds by 50%. And his pain is apparently managed at those doses. For you to imply that his SCS is somehow less of a success because he didn't make larger medication reductions than that is just idiotic - at best.

• First off, being a newbie to some of this, I have no idea what(an)SCS is, but I WILL educate myself on it.

Second, this is an older thread, but I hope it goes/went well for you, Kathy.

I can surely relate to the quality of life issue though. Mine has dropped so far so fast, it still seems almost like a bad dream!

I have two awesome grandchildren, and while I wasn't as bad when I had my daughter at home, the "Mommys sick and very tired" routine got very old for her, I am sure.

I also have my singing, and this is mucho important to me...giving it up would be, I think one of the last straws!

I hope you can have some quality time with your Madi. I cannot do what I would wish with my two darlins', either.

BTW, you can answer here or PM me and tell me more about the Quality of Life Scale. Very interested to know more.

Good luck and God bless.