Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Memory Foam Mattress Topper

LittlesurferLLittlesurfer Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Water Cooler
Hollie, you mentioned getting a foam topper for your bed and, because I didn't want to get "chewed out" for stealing someone's thread, I started this one. I purchased a 4-inch memory foam mattress topper about a month ago and I love it. I have wide-spread pain and this foam topper is wonderful. I don't think I would consider it unles it was at least a 3 inch one. I also purchased one for my handicapped son and he said it was the best gift I could ever have given him. Hope it helps you. BTW, I purchased it from Overstock.com and received it within the week.

• I will look into it. I've gotta do something. Besides the back and neck pain, my ribs and right hip are just aweful when I lay down at night. I am getting at least 3-4 hrs of sleep with benedryl or Tylenol pm, but then it's back to tossing and turning and stretching for relief. I appreciate the info. Hope you have a tolerable day.
    I'm fixing to go treat myself to a pedicure and hair touchup today, pain or no pain, I've gotta get outta of this house! I'm feeling like a hermit. And I'm gonna hurt anyhoo.
    Thank you, again!
  • We spent a wad and got one of those adjustable beds a few years ago. Can't think of what it's called, but each side has a remote and it lets air in or out based on what is comfortable for you. Then we put the memory foam on top of that. Those two and a neurontin at night seem to be the ticket. I can get at least 6 hours sleep a night, sometimes 7.
  • The best night's sleep I have ever had was on a Memory Foam mattress. A hotel we have stayed at a few times has only memory foam mattresses(cuz they have a contract and want you to buy a new one) and it is wonderful! I do have one of the pillows, but cannot afford the topper or mattress yet. But as soon as I can, I'm getting the whole mattress! Now if I could just stop hubby's snoring...
  • on our spear bed ..it was only a cheap one but its good .i am going to get my daughter a good one for her bed as she is having back ache and she is just 14!!{and she has just signed in to MSN as we speak } spooky !!as she lives away from me in the isle of man !
  • I do have a select comfort and have had it for 7 years and LOVE IT. BUT, since this ACDF surgery I can not sleep not matter what. I have suffered since my teens with chronic pain so the sleep number bed was well worth it for me but I think I need more cushion now. HELP! Oh, do it make you hot? I have always worried about that.
    Thank Yall.
  • memory foam mattress on there own like tempur etc are too hard and a nightmare to get up from with anyone with a bad back a good overlay on your existing mattress should do the trick if your mattress in not due for replacing but in my opinion the best to go for is a good sprung and memory foam combination mattress .they don't make e you hot but as i like in Manchester {its never too hot here anyway} i could imagine that if you like in a hot place yes they will make you hot..all i can say is if you are going to get a memory foam topper get one that is a t least 3 inches thick and if you are due a mew mattress get a combination one .
  • I purchased my memory foam topper from Overstock.com. It's the Serta Ultimate 4-inch memory foam topper for $179.99. I also purchased the cover for it for $39.99. I have an excellent mattress on my bed, but this topper has really made a difference. It doesn't make me feel hot...I know some are concerned about this. This particular topper had very good reviews and some said they had tried some of the thinner (1", 2") ones and they weren't so good. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything less than 4". Hope this info helps.
  • But I have always hesitated buying a form topper due to the heat issue. Love it cool in my bedroom. I am going online in a few & see if I can find it. I too have an excellent mattress but a little extra comfort is needed right now. I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night since my surgery on Sept 3. I know this isn't good for my recovery.
    Thank you for sharing this & I am off to find me a topper. Now I just need a good pillow. I don't know if my head is the size of a watermelon but no matter how much I spend on one or what type I get I feel like its crushed & deformed in a week!

Thanks again!