Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SWIMMING with back pain

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Exercise and Rehab
hi all
this is the first time i have posted in this bit .and the reason for doing it this time is .i love swimming BUT every time i go a few hours later my back is worse then in the middle of the night it get even worse!! its not fair its the only thing i can do .{carnt walk} even if i just go into the hydrothephy tank and don't swim i am still in pain .it wasn't that long ago that i could swim 64 lengths a day! that's a mile in a normal pool now i struggle to do 20 lengths ..what next!!??

• I can certainly understand how swimming strokes causes you back pain, but I don't see why going into the therapy tank would. What do you do in there?

• it could be the actual swimming motions that are upsetting your back. i do alot of walking, floating, using floatation devices, moving from side to side, things like that. try to lay off the swimming for awhile and stick to moving about and such.. you might even talk to a pt about what movements would be best for you. good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • get into the hydrotherapy tank afterwards ..it must be the swimming that get my back on fire..i don't go as often as i would like because i hurt too much to go every day so i tend to leave it longer and longer in between visits
  • a third of a mile is a fair distance when the back is like a rusty gate. dont feel bad that you cant do the mile anymore. just do what you can and be glad for it. i use a very strange combination swimming and walking stroke. in about 3.5 ft of water i lean forward and walk slowly with by upper body floating. i dont seem to get as much pain by this combination walk/swim stroke. i also use a snorkel so i dont need to turn my fused neck.....take care tony.....pete
  • Hey Tony,
    Have you tried just walking in the water? I find this to be helpful. I can no longer swim in the water. It hurts to do the breast stroke and to lay flat in the water so the best thing for me is to walk forward, backward and sideways but slowly. this is what I do in water therapy and it helps that the water is around 95 degrees.