Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

update on my back just came from the doctors

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok i'm officially mentally exhausted and totally confused and frustrated by my doctor.When i went for my mri they did my lower back instead of the thoracic spine that i had talked to my doctor about.It was supposed to be done because i was having bladder spasms needing to urinate every ten min. then my legs went numb from my hips right down to my feet.I have severe muscle spasms and pain that goes into my upper stomach which is right in the area of the pain in my back.
Today i saw my doctor and she went over the results of my mri on my lower back. I have three disc bulges one minimal and one moderate.One bulging to the back and one to the right which makes sense because my right side hurts more then my left. I have one impinging on a nerve and i have arthritis in my lumbar area and some moderate stenosis.She tried to tell me that my bladder and leg numbness wouldn't be caused by anything that showed on my mri. i think she's full of shit.She thinks that i've never read an mri before and have no idea what any of the things in it meant which isn't true.She told me that i definitely need some therapy on my lower back and said that i need to lose some more weight and strengthen my core muscles.Which is what i've been doing for the last year and half since my surgery. I said to her that was fine but none of that has anything to do with my thoracic spine which was what i was there for and was supposed to have the mri done of not my lumbar.She said that she wouldn't do an mri of my thoracic spine because of my ribs nothing could happen to that part of my spine after telling me the last time i was there that she was doing the thoracic area.Unless there was a break and x-rays would have shown that.I said but i already had herniations in my thoracic area before the car accident. She said that there is no way that anyone would touch my thoracic spine so there was no sense in doing an mri of it and exposing myself to the radiation that i had way too many tests done already.So i said so why are my muscles not relaxing in any part of my back after almost a year of treatments and she said she didn't know,she said that i had major surgery on my neck and then a car accident and it would take a very long time for me to feel better maybe years.I don't agree with her at all and i think that she just wants her patients to come into her office so she can charge for the apt.she really doesn't want to do anything for them.She has no idea whats happening to my body and has no ambition to find out.So now its up to me to find out whats going on by myself i guess.Unfortunately any doctor that i would have to see to get any answers i would need her referral to see.I have no idea what i'm going to do now.All she wants to do is keep throwing anti inflammatories at me and tell me that i should be functional.

• I'm so sorry Tammy. There are apparently a lot of doctors that don't feel the pains that we do and are not sympathetic to all of our problems. Is the doctor you went to your pcp or neuro ?. It seems like it would be to your benefit to get a referral and get another opinion. For most of us, these surgeries take a long time to heal and furthermore, usually more complications surrounding those ares in the future.
    You just have to stay strong, keep pushing for more answers. It's your body and you know it better than anyone. If there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to PM me. Keep a positive attitude and take one day at a time and hopefully with a little more time and patience, you can find the doctor that is compassionate enough to help you find what's going on.
  • Sorry your appt wasn't productive and that you feel you hit a brick wall. I know another opportunity will come around in which you'll finally be heard, and it might take seeing another doctor. Til then, don't give up. Take care
  • I don't know what my doctor knows or doesn't know ;) She was trying to give me every excuse in the book as to why she wasn't going to do anything else for me.I knew all the lies she was telling me but after a while i just gave up because i knew that all my arguing wasn't getting me anywhere except really pissed off. ~X( sorry about that comment but i'm still a little angry about today.I know that i should get a referral to see someone else but i don't even know where to go at this point. She wouldn't even sit and have a conversation with me as to what else i could do to find out what was going on besides doing the mri's.She just said she didn't know what the problem was and she wasn't doing anymore tests that i've had significant tests done.Which is a huge lie in itself.The only tests i've had done since my car accident was x-rays of my spine and the mri that i just had done.So if she considers that alot of tests i'd hate to think of what she thinks isn't a lot of tests. L) I haven't been with this doctor that long only just over a year since my own PCP retired.Near the end of his practice he was very old and alot of his patients weren't too happy with him because he got very grumpy being there but i'd take him over her any day and she had me wishing today that he had his practice back. :))(
    I saw my therapist right after my doctors apt. today.I scheduled one right after the other and i was so angry still from my apt. that i couldn't bring myself to tell him what she had said to me.I told him that i would talk to him about it on thurs. when i come back in for my next apt.I didn't want to raise my voice to him and i knew that if i had started telling him what she said i was get very angry all over again and start yelling.There never seems to be an end to my problems. I'm just so sick of it.
  • Tammy,
    I am sorry to hear, that this appointment was so unproductive for you and got no where. There is nothing worse than trying to dx why you feel so poorly all the time. I don't know your system at all or how it works. But, is there something like a appeal process. I know your not trying to get her in trouble or anything but you do need the proper test done, to find out why you are in so much pain, as after your surgery the pain was getting better. It is clear the accident changed something. Hopefully, after a few days of being upset, you can gather your thoughts and put together a new game plan. Maybe once you tell your therapist on Thursday, he/she can help you to find some more resources. Anyway good luck and hope something goes your way soon. Take care.
  • I'm really not sure about the appealing thing,i've never heard about anything like that.Once she started to refuse to do anything for me i felt like i was sitting with my retired doctor,who gave me the same attitude and i just don't have to strength or will power to deal with that kind of person again.I don't know why everytime i need a test done or to be sent to another doctor its such a fight.Thats what i tried to talk to her about was trying to figure out what else was going on since the accident that was causing my muscles to stay tight if she thought that it wasn't coming from my spine and she really didn't want to discuss it with me at all.Everything i suggested she had an arguement for.Maybe once i talk to my therapist on thurs, he can give some ideas of what to do next but i'm not counting on it.I think i've just reached the point where i just don't care about it anymore.If its not worth it for my doctor to try and find out whats so wrong with my body why should worry about it.Its all very overwhelming and i'm not ready to go back into that huge circle of lets do this test and that test and see what comes up.I did that for five years and i thought that i was finished with that and now i feel like i'm being sucked right back in again.
  • HI Tammy

I'm so sorry about your appointment. Nothing more frustrating than expecting an answer and getting excuses.

Are these appointments under your car insurance? I know I just got cut off from parts of my treatment with a long winded explanation that MRI and other tests are not necessary except under extreme circumstances and after waiting a long long time. Guess it didn't matter that the MRIs showed the damage :) Insurance and doctors are under alot of pressure to limit the tests that they order. Look at Newsweek this week.

I would get a referal(I know my no-fault doesn't require referals check with your agent) to go back to your surgeon or whoever you liked best from that time. Explain to them what is happening and see what they think. What would a PCP know about spine surgery and reinjury? How could she possibly think she is qualified to interpret these specialized conditions? Bring the MRI that you had done and see what they say.

Good Luck and know we are all with you in spirit!!
  • No the only thing being covered by my car insurance is the physical therapy.My doctor is just being an ass.She told me to get as much therapy for my lower back as i possibly could but doesn't want anything to do with the midsection of my back.She said that she only does mri's if she thinks you might need surgery and she said that i would never find a surgeon to do my mid back.WELL thats exactly what the doctors told me about my neck.They said it was in such bad shape that i would never find a doctor to operate on it.I finally bugged enough and yelled enough and was sent to my surgeon who was a great guy and immediately after examining me said yes he would do the surgery and then explained all the things that could go wrong,but none of them happened and i was getting better.Thats when i started getting really angry when she said i wouldn't find a doctor who would do it,she's speaking for another doc.and that's just not right.She's not holding back tests because the insurance won't let her she's doing it just to screw with me.I'm leaving soon for my therapy apt. and will let him know everything maybe he can have some solution for me.
  • Tammy

If the car insurance is paying for therapy then they should be paying for all medical bills relating to the accident. I know it's hard because you had surgery before but I would call the surgeon and ask if they take no-fault.

Let your agent know you are going since you have been working with them. If they have a problem threaten that you will get a lawyer since they have been getting away with murder. SOmetimes being nice works and sometimes you need to play hard ball.

Don't give up. I know how you feel. I'm so tired sometimes I want to sit down and cry. Sometimes I do. Remember that you aren't alone. And out there are lots of people who are much worse off.

Take things one step at a time and they will work out.