Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Injections don't work, pain is too much , all I do is cry

karenlkkarenl Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, also written in MRI report is Multi level degenerative change and small disc
protrusions. The central canal is narrowest at the L2, L3 L1, L2 levels where there is some flattening of the thecal sac and central crowding if the intrathecal nerve roots.At he L5 and S1 ther is mimimal disc bulge and mild hypertrophy of he facet joints and ligamentum flavum. at the L3-L4 disc contacts the right dorsal root ganglion.This is all medical jargin to me , all I know it is the worst pain I have ever felt
I have tried PT , spinal steroid injections, oral steroids , pain pils. Nothing seems to work. The 1st injectins gve me about 6 days of releif. Then it all came back . I have been to orthepedics , spinal orthopedics,pain centers, primary and now I an being sent to see a neurologist. The pain I feel is on my right side , back , hip buttock, front and rear thigh, knee, foot , ankle, toes , bottom of my heal and arch. I don't know if you would call not making it to the bathroom as losing control of your urine but this can happen daily to me. I have no relief, walking about ten steps the pain can be off the charton on a acale of ten. sitting , and lying down. It takes me a good two hours a night to find a position that eases the pain enough to sleep, however I wake through the night having to turn off of my back or side. I still am working and the pain has been going on for 5.5 months. I cry all of the time , before I leave the house for work even in work. I have no life , by the time friday comes I am so bad I stay in all weekend. I can no longer do small chores in the house even showering kills me and forget about trying to stand there and blow dry your hair. The pain is physically and mentaly wearing me down. I ended up in the Emergency room the other day, I could no longer deal with the pain . They gave me diazapan and a shot of morphine and hour later they checked on me ther I am still sitting on the stretcher rubbing my leg crying. The tried one more shot of morphin and said if that did not work they were going to admitt for pain management and look into admitting me to a rehab center. The second shot took the edge off but I went home still with some pain. About 2 weeks ago I was going down stairs and due to the 2 knee surgerys I have had I walk down the stairs side ways. I was looking down making sure I placed my foot down correctly and it began uncontolably shaking causing me to fall backwards down 3 stairs landing on my right side hitting my head ,back and buttock. I am not sure if this has anything to do with all my nerve pain but I also stumble a lot , maybe to due to the numbness in my foot. I don't know how much longer I can do this, my doctor said I should not be working. I did apply for an intermitten FMLA . Where the pain is now affecting me more I may have to go on a full FMLA. As you all know it bad enough dealing with all the pain day after day but the stress about your job and wondering where I will end up I belive is making things worse.

• The good thing is, everyone here seems to be going or has gone through the same issues as you and me. I had scoliosis surgery in '04 and have chronic pain because of it. Now I have two mildly herniated discs and arthritis in the parts that aren't fused. I'm at my witts end, I get frustrated a lot and cry a lot, too. I'm an emotional wreck sometimes!

I've been stuck with so many needles and have had so many procedures I've lost track. I really feel like I'm my doctor's science project! Nothing touches my pain, if it does, it's only for a few days. I used to be really active and now it takes me at least four days to wash my car myself. (It's those little things that every healthy person takes for granted!) Folding the clothes or cooking a meal, even! And I can't physically do the job that I was trained for and love! At times, things really bite! That's the truth of it!

The important thing is that, no matter how bad our situation gets, there is always someone else out there who has it worse. (And I feel really bad for that guy or gal!) Be greatful for the things that you do have. See if your doctor's office has outreach programs where prople with the same conditions or symptoms can talk about things.

I've even heard that you should try to look into talking with one of your congressmen/women for help. Call up some lawyers and ask for a free counseltation or advice.

I meditate and practice my breathing. I am a certified yoga teacher who has been cutting back on the teaching and focusing more on the self practice. But being able to breathe has really helped me with stress and anxiety. See if you can find a studio near you to go to. Lots of studios have free community classes to introduce new people to the practice. And there are always workshops for different ailments that are usually really helpful. It may or may not be the right thing for you, but it's worth a try! I thought it was a little hippie-ish at first but the third time I went to class, I knew that it was going to stay with me.

I am sorry this is so long! I hope you find comfort soon! Keep on keepin' on.
  • I feel bad complaining , you are so young but I know ow it feels when you can't do things. I would even welcome the day I could clean the bathtub again.This past summer after having the shots in my spine and shots in both hips for busitus I told people that all I have to do to water my lawn is drink a bottle of water an move side to side.
    I am twice our age and can say although I suffer terrible with this nerve, back problem and have had 2 knee surgerys, breast surgery , gall bladder removal , and heart attack . most of it happened after 30 but I was always able to bounce back. I hope your yoga continues to help and keep your pain under control you are still young. good luck
  • i am so sorry you are having such a horrid time, my pain in very small in comparison but i want you to know i am thinking of you and hope you can find some relief, keep your chin up (easier said than done i know)best wishes
  • Karenl, why would they be recommending "rehab" if the morphine didn't work ??