Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
Wondering if anyone has heard of Neuragen and/or has experience with it? It is a non-prescriptive treatment for diabetic (and other) nerve pain. Wondering if it's worth a shot. My husband is suffering from persistent leg, buttock and back pain following a microdiscectomy on his L5-S1 3 months ago.

• Here's a link to the product: http://neuragen.com/

I didn't read through the entire website, but it is primarily for peripheral neuropathy which is not the same as the nerve pain your husband is having. The pain your husband is feeling post microdiscectomy is more than likely stemming for a spinal nerve root that is still irritated from the surgery. It may still be compressed, or it is possible that there is still inflammation that is pressing up against the nerve.

Have you talked to his surgeon about this? Doctors usually will prescribe one of the nerve meds such as Lyrica or gabapentin (Neurontin). Other treatments are either a dosage of oral steroids or an epidural steroid or caudal steroid injection that lays a steroid right in next to the inflammed/irritated nerve.

I hope your husband can find something soon to help with his pain.
  • yeah, he was on gabapentin, as well as ocycotin and naproxen. he has weened himself off of all drugs now that the acute pain he was in has calmed and is now just taking over the counter drugs like advil. the prescription drugs he was on made him feel really awful, particularly gabapentin, and he was miserable on them. he is also trying to get back to work, and because he's a pilot, he can't take any of those kinds of drugs and work. although he's not in acute pain continuously as he was before, the leg pain comes back quite strong when he's sitting. he's looking for something that can help with the nerve pain, but still allow him to operate a plane. he's going to talk to his surgeon about getting another cortosone injection or possibly oral steroids to see if those help. the wait list for the injections is super, super long here. any other ideas?
  • There are some homeopathic drugs for sciatic that he could try. I can PM you with the name of one I tried. There are many testimonials of how wonderful it is, but it didn't make a bit of difference for me.

As a matter of fact, depending on how the nerve is compressed, some nerve pain just doesn't respond to anything. Mine doesn't respond to anything, but luckily, it goes away when I sit down. Of course, if I sit too long, then I get some pain in my lower back or hip....

That's good that he gets some results from the injections. But those you can't use too often.

Hopefully, someone else will have some ideas for your husband.
  • Neuragen looks bogus even for it's intended use.