Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fm pain med

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Fibromyalgia
I have fibromyalgia and I have been taking soma pills for the pain for a few years now. I take 3-4 350mg a day and it helped me a lot. My question is, do you know of any withdrawal effects for the use of soma just in case I stop using it? Thanks for the help.

• Hi Betterdays-sure do hope there'll be some of those (better days) for ya soon ;o)

I'd like to welcome you to Spine-Health. We are here to help you to understand things from the perspective of those of us who've likely been living with/caring for someone with the same or similar conditions/taking similar medications, etc, as you. Of course, none of us are Doctors (don't I wish! Then I'd be all better! LOL) though we do have a fair bit of knowledge in chronic pain situations & are always sharing our own experiences with the hope that educating someone else will be helpful for them. Make sense? :-)

Having said that, I can't offer you too much in the realm of FM yet, as I was only formally diagnosed earlier today (well, technically yesterday now that it's almost 2am, lol) myself-as if any of us needs to add another dx to our list of dx's in our charts LOL! However, I am familiar with Soma as I've been taking that for awhile for pain/muscle spasms related to my back problems.

I'm a little confused as to why the only medication a Dr would prescribe you for FM would be Soma tho? What other types of meds have you tried for your Fibro prior to taking the Soma? How long have you been taking it-a few years you said? Soma is a pretty strong muscle relaxant, stronger than Flexeril or Zanaflex, as you probably already know, but with Fibro, the main line of treatment is generally a nerve pain medication, such as what Paul is taking: Neurontin/gabapentin; Lyrica/pregabalin; Tegretol, etc. perhaps in conjunction with a muscle relaxant to help keep on top of the pain.

There are, unfortunately, many others here who live with Fibromyalgia & I'm certain that they will chime in here soon to offer some help (I'm curious of the answer too being newly dx'd myself). I would definitely be asking your Dr, though, about putting you on a nerve pain medication along with the Soma for the musle spasms, but then again, if it's working for you-what do I know? lol

Good luck, you should be getting more answers from other members soon, and please keep us posted on how you're doing, OK?

We hope you'll "Pull up a chair" & stick around awhile. S-H is a great place to meet other people who may share your symptoms, or at least understand them; there's a wealth of knowledge here that surpasses all other "pain boards" out there-not to mention our excellent support system for patients & friends/families as well. =)

Have a spectabulous day! Welcome to our little pain family of friends! ;-)