Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long suffering back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi all,

I have suffered with back pain for the last 5 years and pains in my right leg, foot and hip for the last 2 years
I have just got the results from my MRI scan, they are as follows

Moderate facet joint arthrosis.
Disc dehydration and flattening with minimal protrusion in the L1/2 disc.
In the L4/5 disc small central disc prolapse with posterior annular tear measuring 3mm in depth. This is causing mild indentation to the anterior margin of the dural sac and compression at the origin of the right L5 nerve root
No abnormalities at the other levels.

My questions are, what does that mean in layman's terms, what are the treatments and will this require surgery?

Thanks in advance

• no one here is a doc so it would be best to talk to the doc and get them to talk it through with you,
    many on here may have the same symptoms but it does not mean they will have the same outcome.
    hopefully you can get this explained to you and then you can tell us all about it, someone may send you a pm with more info
  • Thanks for the reply, i have an appointment set for Monday morning so I'm sure I'll get more info then.

Is arthrosis the same as arthritis but in the spine?

• type it into search box at top of screen, hopefully it will give you some info, i have oesteoarthritis in facet joints but thats the wording they used when they told me, my doc and this site use same words for different things gets very confusing. im from the uk
  • you would benifit from surgery {discectomy} to relive the leg pain BUT BUT!!! this wont help the back ache and you will more than likely have to undergo revision surgery as the years roll on ..if you can manage without surgery then do so as when you start with surgery its a no win situation that's why there are so many sites like this one !!try a good TENS and ask your doctor for a medication review ..you may benifit from newer pain killers or a different strength?
This discussion has been closed.