Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scs implant monday, sept. 28

pete81241pete81241 Posts: 1,194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
my big day is coming monday the 28th. i will post often so others will learn of my progress.
for those that dont know me i've had chronic pain for over 40 years. my spinal problems go from neck to lower lumbar. i dont walk . if i lean on my crutches i can take a few steps. its the pain that stops my steps. within 30 seconds of standing its unbearable. sitting is also unbearable. my dr told me i need two units, one for lumbar and one for neck/arms and thoracic. the leg pain is number one on the list. i dont have high expectations but will be glad for any relief. pain is everywhere from my lower back to my feet. the fronts, sides and back of legs all scream for help.
i will be getting a 3 lead paddle from st. jude inserted into T10 by means of laminotomy or partial laminectomy. i'll be awake during procedure so coverage can be evaluated. trial could not be done because after 2 hours of probing they were unable to get it in. my bones are large and arthritic.
i am hopefull for relief and will keep you posted...pete

• :D Typed up a PM to you last night and then lost it -- total blonde moment!

You will be in my prayers that the SCS is a total success and brings you relief. How much recovery time is involved after the implant?

Everyone of your friends here on SH is pulling for you -- we've got the pom poms out to do the victory cheer for you when you heal successfully from the implant and get some much deserved relief.

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< Hugs to you and PM me anytime to chat,

• You know you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Best of luck to you buddy.
    I am waiting for that dance.
    Hugssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I am praying that the SCS will ease your pain. Remember to focus on taking it easy when you get home. I am excited for you!

• I thought your implant surgery was this past Monday...will be thinking of you next Monday and hoping for the best...you deserve some relief.

Lynn, from Florida
  • You are one of the reasons why I decided to give my SCS a try! It is only gonna work if we work with it right!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

• I just has my SCS from St. Jude done last Thursday so I am one week post op. It will work...and St. Jude reps are good about working with the program until they get it right. Yesterday they reprogrammed mine and it took 1 1/2 hours. I felt worry for them. They had to move up and down the paddle several times and re-adjust this and that and now I have programs that actually work. I am still sore from the surgery and yesterday i found out that one of my paddle leads in in the nerve root. How cool they can get stimulation from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. Stay positive, keep notes on how you feel, and take it easy. Don't try to do it all in one day. Remember it takes 6 month to totally heal from surgery and they ask that you give them 8 weeks to make sure everything is scared down. Let us know how you are doing. You are in my prayers.
  • Hope everything goes well.
  • Way to go =D> I'm so happy for you that you're finally getting your stims. I hope everything goes well and that you get the relief you need. Please keep us posted and take care :H
  • Just want to wish you the very best results from the stim. You're always here for us spineys and I want you to know that I enjoy reading your posts.

Best to you,

• Pete, I hope your SCS will bring you at least some relief, and hopefully, a lot! :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm so glad that you'll soon have some relief from your pain. I hope that it all goes well for you Pete. I'll be thinking of you and praying for the best results. Good luck friend.

• Dear Pete,

I hope the SCS implant is a big success and brings you much needed pain relief. You have been on my mind a lot this week. Have you been having more pain than usual... or any new stressors? I hope not. I've been saying a lot of prayers for you and please know that my family and I will be saying special ones for you on Monday the 28th.

Please take it real easy and don't over do it the next few days.

I wish you the best of luck with the SCS surgery and recovery. We hope to hear a lot of positive results and a decrease in your daily pain.

You have a lot of great people here wishing the best for you. You deserve a break from your many years of pain, Pete.

Best wishes to you,

Tammy and family >:D<
  • Praying for your better days ahead!
  • Your an awesome man and always there for everyone.
    I will keep you in my prayers and ask that you get good coverage and lot of relief.
    You will be on my mind Monday!
    Stay positive, as you always are.
    Big Big Hugs to you!
  • Good luck Pete -can't wait to hear your updates!!

Take care,

• I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Susan
  • I sure hope you get the relief that you need. It looks like you're taking the right step and we'll be anxiously awaiting your results.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I hope this is the majic bullet for you!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Your in my thoughts and prayers buddy!!
    Can't wait to hear from you!
    Big hugs!!!
  • Well it is Monday...Your day
    You will be in my thoughts good buddy
    Sending many smiles to You
    Hugs Patsy
  • Hi Pete

Hope the surgery goes well for you today. A friend of mine has an SCS and it works well for her. Sending you >:D< >:D< >:D< from Oz.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Good luck on your SCS today! Please let us know how things went when you are up to it.
  • Ive been thinking of you today and praying your surgery went well. Ill send you a pm daily just know my thoughts are with you and your wife.
  • Heard from Pete yet? Hope your doing alrite pete! I know the implant itself is painful for awhile afterwards, so I'm sure that's why you're not here.
    Hope to hear soon!
  • Thinking of you, Pete...hope the surgery went well.
  • thanks everyone for the good wishes.
    it was not an experience for the faint of heart.
    10 minutes before surgery which was supposed to be under local anesthesia the surgeon said i needed full anesthesia and 3 hours surgery mainly because of excess calcification around insert area.
    surgery was fine except for some low oxygen readings.
    now the fun starts...scs rep came in the next day and asked how i was doing with the unit. he said someone explained it too me just after the surgery. i had no recollection of that because of the anesthesia wearing off....not a good beginning. rep then explained adjusting and turning on scs. i had a bit of trouble as the battery pack was in a positon that was hard to reach with arthritic shoulder behind my right hip/butt. rep initially just had stimulation to my spleen. then he directed it into my legs. i had no pain relief.
    i had stimulator on all tues afternoon. about 8 pm i turned it up a bit. when you change spine position the stimulator power can vary considerably. unfortunately current went up and i was locked by terrible shocks into a position from which i could not move. the only way i had been instructed to turn down power was to reach way back to my right butt with antena/pad, hold pad there and hit the volume control down. if position isnt perfect and youre new at it it wont work.i called nurse who called the on call person at the pm clinic and she didnt know how to do it either. i called the rep who said he'd be available but he never answered the call. this severe stimulation was terrible. after 20 minutes i finally got it off.

the morning rounds allowed me to vent to the drs. WHY DIDNT REP CALL BACK IN THIS EMERGENCY....WHY DIDNT NURSE OR PAIN DR KNOW HOW TO TURN IT OFF. i have a lowd voice and the whole hospital heard me.

bottom line they sent me home without stimulator on and want me back after the swelling subsides at insert site for programming. my pm dr says if it takes 100 reprograms they will do it and get me relief...

• Well it is good to hear from you. Everyone was concerned especially as the days started going by. Which brand did the doc implant? Do you not have an antenna with an extension that allows you to just simply tuck it into your waistline and then have the patient programmer in front of you? I can even get a good signal by tucking the antenna into my rear pocket or by attaching it to my shirt and gathering material through the antenna to hold it.

The first day after implant, I poured over all the manuals that came with my system and wrote down questions that came from that so that when I met with the rep the first couple of times, I was prepared.

I hope the swelling goes down quickly and then you get some good programming done. Hang in there.

• I'm sorry it's been so awful for you! Wow. We knew it would be difficult but you really went through h*ll. I can't believe the rep didn't call you back and no one knew what to do. Are you feeling much worse from the 20 minutes of constant shocking?! At least your pm said he will make it work and get you some relief. Will you always have to turn it off the same way? I know how hard it can be to reach behind yourself with an arthritic shoulder! There must be a better way. I know you must be very frustrated. When do you see your pm again? I sincerely hope that once the swelling is down that your scs will work like a charm.
    Faith M
  • hi C
    its the ANS and yes the patient programmer is attached by a cord to the antenna, which is shaped like a small plate. i had trouble getting a good signal . i dont know why. at first i put the antenna right up against my skin. that was ineffective. then i tried holding it a quarter of an inch away. that was a little better. a second more experienced rep got involved and told me to lay on my back and put the antenna under my butt. that worked better. also i was given a large magnet that when passed near the battery pack shut it off immediately. i wish i had had that when i was being shocked to death. as for manuals i was in too bad a condition to open the material and get in a position to read them. someone would or will have to do that for me.
    the second rep seemed more on the ball.
    i love your idea about back pocket and shirt wrap. i will try those ideas. i myself thought about taping it to my bare butt.
    i'm not using it now but plan on giving it another shot when i am able to move a bit....
    thanks for ideas....pete