Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

exercise and weight loss

cliffy1012ccliffy1012 Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
from what i see on these posts about weight loss and exercise. people want to lose weight without the exercise.you need a little of both.for most people on here you have your limits on weight lifting. myself i dont lift over 35 lbs. so i do reps lifting instead of heavy weights. you dont need to lift the heavy weights to stay active. if certain things hurt when you do certain exercises dont do them plain and simple. do the ones that feel good. start out with low reps for a week and increase from there. dont need to push yourself. remember the tortoise and the hare? slow and steady wins the race. while i was off from work with my surgery i had gained 30 lbs and 5-6 inches on my waist. about the 10th week after surgery i started to cut back on what i ate. less sugars and carbs. i didnt jump right in to lifting a lot of weights. only did 3-10 lb dumbbells for several weeks along with my total gym. recovery takes time. right now after surgery i lost my 30 lbs, went down to a 29 waist,everything is toned. i was able to go back to work carrying mail,i am also reffing soccer again which calls for a lot of running. so yes it is possible to get back into shape.

• 30 pounds seems to be a common number for those of us with spinal problems. Your message is well-received and will hopefully inspire those of us who have become couch potatoes!!

I know I need to move more, but have trouble getting motivated.
  • Losing weight isn't a mysterious process. It's a simple matter of burning more calories than you eat. All people think weight loss as a struggle to see drastic changes by doing diets, pills or those weird fitness gadgets on infomercials that promise instant success. But Exercise is most important. It plays an vital role to lose weight and helps in burning body fat.
  • Yeah..I agree to all..exercise is must to lose weight..without exercise one can't accomplish weight loss plan fully..
  • Regular exercise is an important part of effective weight loss. It helps to control your weight by using excess calories that otherwise would be stored as fat. How much exercise you need to make a difference in your weight depends on how much you eat and what activity you are doing. so keep doing exercise as ur need..........
  • it is possible to lose weight just by cutting calories when exercise is not possible. =D> of course the ultimate way is to exercise and cut calories both but when that is not possible, cutting calories will produce a weight loss.. there are ways to exercise that require little effort such as using the sports ball and sitting on it to strengthen your core... sitting and using weights is another.. good luck to you in whatever way you find to lose weight! i managed to lose 30# myself!!! Jenny :)
  • I agree with lizagill as well u need to diet n exercise to get back in shape n plz ppl don't take pills to reduce weight coz they always got some side effects
  • Best way to reduce the weight:-

-Drink minimum 8 glass of water.
    -Habit of using stair.
    -keep habit of Jogging or walking early in the morning.
    -Yoga and medication.
    -Never skip your breakfast.
    -Never skip your regular exercise.
    -Take plenty sleep...
  • I have to modify things, to fit my circumstances. I started this with a 12 lb box. I keep walking, even with the pain and numbness from severe stenosis.

What I can do, is use a recumbent bike and not rock my pelvis much. That movement, more than anything else, seems to cause a problem for me, as the day goes on.

My best time to exercise, is about 4 hours before bed, in the evening.

• Most individuals who suffer from any type of spine injury, are restricted from doing push ups, pull ups and sit ups. Running up and down stairs is also something that most if not all spine patients avoid, since the impact and jarring puts such an incredible load on the spine.

Are you able to do these types of exercises? What type of spine issue are you dealing with and what have you done or do you do in order to stay strong and fit?

• C,

I wish I could do half of that stuff! Wondering what's up with that. :) Nice to see I'm not the only one wondering....

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • A full body exercise, that gets you sweating, and your heart pumping. You dont need a home gym or anything my friend. All you need is 1. Push Ups 2. Pull Ups 3. Crunches/Sit Ups. if you have stairs in your home or close by do some stair laps that'll burn some calories! Make a line -20 push ups -stair laps -20 push ups -pull ups etc!
    do this continuousness for 20-30 minutes! a continues routine will really set those calories a blaze! :)

I also recommend researching some Interval training exercises! Now those TORCH FAT !

URL removed, solicitation not permitted

• Exercise is the best way for weight loss.Aerobic exercise makes the lungs work harder as the body’s need for oxygen is increased.
  • My rational mind of course say diet and exercise are they ways to get the weight off, but my restrictions set me at lifting no more than 10 lbs, no standing for more than 30 minutes, no bending,reaching,crawling or climbing. I can't seem to figure out anything to do that doesn't hit one of those areas and this weight gain is causing more problems.
  • I'm going to ask my GP for a PT referral in hopes of finding some form of cardio in which I won't tear myself up.

Even swimming aggravates my low back & I've got a blown knee, so treadmill is out.

Water walking/jogging, I must be doing these wrong--my back is on fire after 30 mins.

I hate not getting serious cardio every day.
  • It is a very frustrating situation for all of us. That's where the relationship with our doctors is so vitally important. They are the experts that we need to tap in order to find a way that is safe for us and takes into consideration our entire situation.

• You're right. Fortunately, I love my doc, he's a DO & a really good diagnostician.

I'm hoping he can send me to a PT with a pool. Maybe having an expert check my form when I swim is all I need.

I've been doing water jogging with a belt in the deep end so my feet don't touch bottom, which aggravates my knees. It seems easier on my back, tho boring & I don't know if I'm getting enough cardio.

Just a few short weeks ago, I was doing 36 laps (freestyle) most mornings. I've gone downhill pretty fast.

And boy, am I a long way from last year at this time when I was doing treadmill at 12% incline. I love pushing my limits.

Now I'm all about being self protective.
  • To help fight boredom, there are MP3 players that are waterproof and can be worn in the pool. I know that good music helps me whittle away at the boredom of some things I do.

Unfortunately back pain really makes us learn how to redefine our limits!!! I am one who pushes my limits all the time, and I have finally learned when to back off.

• Do you have any recommendations about MP3 players? The waterproof kind you mentioned?

I'm also looking at getting a plain ol' am/fm waterproof for the outdoor pool.

Thanks for the support. It seems you understand how frustrating this all is.
  • I am an exercise fanatic and have traveled a long and hard road through this journey of pain. I sent you a link that should give you some good ideas of the options available.

• I read an article a few months ago which talked about wt loss and exercise. The conclusions of the study were that cutting calories alone produced wt. loss. Exercise was good for firming but had little effect on the amt of weight lost. Luluheart must have done some reading on this too!
  • When I had my fusion in April, 2006, I weighed 291. My weight today is 212. There is no easy way. I started eating right, no junk food, and walked. I walk 5, sometimes 6 times a week. I walk for an hour and push myself. That's my secret.
    I couldn't do a pushup or pullup even with a gun to my head.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.

• I agree with the opinions saying that the diet is more important than exercise.For the great majority of people they will lose what they want to on a low carb diet. But getting people to give up carbs, especially woman, is usually a problem.
  • I see that my statement, "But getting people to give up carbs, especially woman, is usually a problem."
    has raised someones ire so I should explain it further. I've studied nutrition for many years and it's a well known fact woman crave carbs more than men. It is much easier for men to go on a low carb diet than woman because they can overcome their carb cravings easier. That is all that I meant and my statement was not meant to be sexist.
  • Cliffy,
    It does go to show what can be done with the right attitude and a positive approach, we may well not be able to run or be as active as before but with some adaptation we can get that heart rate to a point where enhanced weight loss is possible, this is about wanting to do it and not finding all those reasons not to try and keep trying where possible. We adapt most of the time and find alternative exercise strategy is just an extension of that concept.

Lulushearts idea that calorie reduction is part of that process helps and write it down and see what those figures represent for us as individuals, I have a red list of food I no longer eat at all.

As C said, low impact is the way to go and keep that reps as high as possible where options are restricted, even if you do short bursts of activity over the week and months that helps and motivates to eat less overall. Do what you can when you can pain is a marathon and not a sprint.

Take care

• If someone had told me this time last year that I would be on a low carb diet and loving it I would have laughed. I don’t do fad diets.

My doctor recommended that my husband and I both eliminate gluten entirely and eat very little dairy. I started researching why and what wheat gluten specifically does to your body.

For some of us carbohydrates in the form of starches and sugars are very addictive. My husband has a ton of Diabetes on his side of the family and I have a ton of alcoholics. I always wondered why when folks quit drinking they start eating the pastas and sugars more. Some of us are just chemically predisposed to have issues with these foods.

I’ve lost 60 lbs this year without exercise. I’m not bragging about this. I just hate to exercise. I do know the benefits beyond weight loss. I do move a lot more now. I have the energy to just do more around the house or get out and walk further when shopping.

There are so many good books out there on this subject and the science behind our food pyramid is changing greatly. The information is out there if you want to search for it. I have read a lot this year on the balance of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fats and how important this is for inflammation. I know several others like me who have greatly improved their IBS, Fibromyalgia, Gerd and chronic pain through nutrition. Specifically low carb and grain free.

Since I have gotten away from processed foods and sugar I’ve found that I don’t miss them at all. It’s a lot like giving up alcohol or cigarettes. The cravings eventually pass and you realize how addicted you were and how bad they made you feel. A few books that really opened my mind to how I was poisoning my body with foods:

The Diet Cure
    Good Calories, Bad Calories
    Why We Get Fat and what to do about it

One of my favorite websites full of info is The Healthy Skeptic. I hope this helps anyone who might be struggling with any sort of eating issues and really wants to get the weight off and become healthier.

We are all so different in what works for us. I know many who do great on low fat diets. I do know that there are also others like me who struggle on low fat, feel horrible and can't stick with it. A low carb diet has brought me a peace with food that I never knew existed.
  • Interesting topic about our health. I agree to all. Exercise is must to lose weight.. GREAT POST. Thanks for sharing..
  • Everyone wants to look best but today people have very limited time for doing weight loss exercise daily. I think herbaldiet weight loss products is the best, easy and natural way to reduce the weight fast.
  • A combination of calories control diets, walk and exercise would be the best way to lose weight. Cut out oily, high-fat and junk food and substitute it with vegetables and fruits. Start exercising without too much exertion and gradually increase the duration of the exercise. Only a gradual weight loss technique can help you stay healthy in the long run. Fasting or other sudden and drastic weight loss techniques can usually lower a person's energy level, damage the skin and can even lead to health problems.
  • masonjack7 said:
    Best way to reduce the weight:-

-Drink minimum 8 glass of water.
    -Habit of using stair.
    -keep habit of Jogging or walking early in the morning.
    -Yoga and medication.
    -Never skip your breakfast.
    -Never skip your regular exercise.
    -Take plenty sleep...
    I also agree with you masonjack7. These are the best way to reduce weight. If anyone wants to reduce weight then follow these steps. It's very helpful. I've also follow these steps and reduce much weight..Thanx masonjack7
  • exercise is connected with weight. I think for loose weight exercise is the best option and we can do many types of exercise like walking, swimming, dancing and many more.
This discussion has been closed.