Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF c4 - c6 - 5 wks post op still having pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I am 5 wks post op after having ACDF C4-C6. Unfortunately I fell in the shower during wk 3 post op and while everything looked good on CT and X-Ray I am having pain mainly in my right shoulder and down right arm. The pain gets to be about a 7 on the pain level. I'm taking tylenol extra strength, but it's not doing much good. I don't know if I should ask the doctor for something stronger or just tough it out. When I saw him 4 wks post op, we talked about the pain I was having, but didn't really talk about pain meds. I haven't slept for 2 days because of the pain. I don't really like taking anything stronger because of it bothering my stomach but am at a loss of what to do, my other pain mgmt techniques are not working. Any thoughts or suggestions for dealing with the pain would be appreciated.

I'm also having pins/needle stabbing pain on the right side of my breast since the surgery. Anyone have a similar experience?

2007 - L3 through S1 fusion
Aug 2009 - C4 through C6 fusion

• After my cervical spinal fusion of C-4 to C-7, I had no pain until 7 months later. I ended up getting pain med, Tramadol to help ease it. I hope you can get pain meds soon.
    My right shoulder, arm, and hands have alot of pain in them too, but they were also injured in the accident when my neck/spine was injured.

2007 C-4 through C-7, now C-3 is bulging.
  • Could you possibly see if getting a muscle relaxer may help some? Another thought is a medrol dose pak to maybe bring down the inflammation you may be experiencing. I take it the x-rays were taken after the fall in the shower? Do call your surgeon and let them know the pain is intensifying and it is keeping you from sleeping. Not sleeping alone can cause fatigue which just doesn't work well with cervical patients. We tend to carry so much stress in the neck. I hope they can give you some answers. Let us know how you get along.
  • I did call my surgeon and he called in a medrol dose pak. I'm glad I called he and is PA are out of town all next week. I'm hoping that the medrol works.
  • have you tried ice on your hand. one good point is in between thumb and index finger....pete