Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My new PM appointment this mornin, yeah!!!!

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:36 AM in Pain Management
I know I've only been in and out this last couple of weeks here at SH.
Have had a bad time at it, lately.
But today is the day for my big interview, LOL.
I sure hope she can help me, but not getting my hopes up.
Will let you know how it goes this afternoon when I get home.
I thank those of you who have been there for me.
You all know how good that feels!
Wish me luck, need a little here and there,LOL!
You all have a good as you can day!!!

advertisement

Comments

• Hope she can help you, Hollie. I have a female PM Dr., and she is wonderful.
  • i hope everything goes well good luck and thank you for you support with my problems
    STRAKER
  • I hope everything goes well with the new Doctor.
    Please update us when you get back!!
    Hugssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • you deserve a decent doc after what you have been through. hope there is a reasonable solution. best to you...pete
  • Had to give myself some coop time after that drive!!! So glad I don't live in the city,LOL!
    You can't take the country outta this girl!

She was great!!!!! I really like her. Here's the plan....she's gonna ween me off hydracodone and she put me on ms contin 15mg to start x 2 a day and baclofen 10mg x3 a day. She is setting me up with a dr to have SCS removed and she's gonna schedule ESI for L-spine and I see her again in two weeks to adjust meds if needed and talk about further actions. I am an honest person when it comes to my drs and I let her know as I have all my drs that I smoke maryj for pain/nausea/sleep.. She told me more than half her patients do and she's all for it!! Thank God! Please don't judge me, I sit at home and use it for medicinal purposes, not partying!!
    I'd drink if I could, but with tummy and meds, I'm not going to, haven't had a drink in 7 years.
    Gotta rest now... Take care guys!
    Big hugs to all

• That's amazing. Does she even do urine screens or pain contracts? Where I am is very strict and we would be tossed out for using marijuana even for medicinal purposes. Anyway, I'm glad your new doctor is helping you out finally. Take care
  • you really pulled the rabbit out of the hat with that dr...you deserve it
    by the way you should change your name to
    honest hollie
    do you want to run for president?
  • nah.. I said I'm honest!
    Yes there's a contract and pee test...maryj is the only thing she allows, and the only nonprescription i do, other than benedryl..she said even if I have to go to ER I'm only allowed to have a shot and no pills from anyone else except what my pcp gives me, Xanax and lexipro. I don't lie when it comes to this stuff cuz u get caught lying you might as well prepare to suffer, cuz then you're a liar and you'd never find a good dr to take u... Like if she had a problem with the smoking I'd find another dr... Or quit smoking... But thank God all my drs wish it was legal for them to give it to me, they all say they would if they could.
  • I'm still amazed because most doctor are conservative and ultra conservative when it comes to prescribing pain meds. The ones I know wouldn't even give an aspirin if they knew someone was smoking Maria Juanita. My pain clinic tests for everything under the sun, even alcohol. Believe me, I saw the long, long list while dropping off my specimen cup.
  • Yeah, but most drs have dealt with them druggies, too, and are just chicken poo!
    She was amazed at what my back looked like and was very concerned about my pain.
    And my bp was up from my pain. She as my other drs know what I gave been through the last 25+ yrs dealing with this. They know my spine isn't very pretty, and has been through hell.
    And as long as I'm honest they will help! If I go around lying and such it won't get me help. I'm not a druggie, I don't abuse my meds, I don't share, I don't go to different drs that each dr don't know about, I'm hurting too bad and they know it. Any dr that can't tell the difference in someone who's an addict and someone who's dependent on help and a better quality of life should get a new career. A good dr isn't going to let someone suffering in really bad pain literally suffer. I refuse to see a dr that's going to let me suffer. My pcp has been my dr for 12 years now. She cones to his office and he has told her all about me. I have nothing to hide. And I'm all for having a dr that trust me as I put my trust in them!

• No not EVERYONE gets relief or has a good experience with the scs.
    Mine shocks me and hurts off or on. But I blame the dr for not checking it out. Not one xray to see whats up. An even after seeing reps several times it didn't help with adjustments. It failed me!!!
    Thank you for your support.
    I think the best thing about SH besides the support is the knowing that I'm not alone. That has been the best thing to me, I felt so alone.
    But now I have spiney buddies and support! More than I have ever had with this pain. It's horrible to hurt and feel alone when everyone around you has no idear bout what it's like.
    Big hugs to you!!! Cuz I like to give 'em!!!
  • Hollie, that is terrific that you found a great doctor!!! It takes so much pressure off, doesn't it? I hope that you are able to enjoy your weekend!! (What did you think of Grey's last night? LOL)
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • About the whole SCS is that so many of us would do anything for just a little bit of help, but for one reason or another, are not candidates. For me I have too much hardware, and too many areas with pain.

I am completely shocked that they would go through wtih installing one of these stimulators if the doctors weren't 100% certain it was going to help you. Insurance companies (and tax payers via government insurance) fork out tens of thousands of dollars for each stimulator. Are you absolutely certain you don't want to give it another try? Possibly have this new doctor do some imaging before having it removed? I just have a hard time understanding why one would give up on it so easily.

Also, that doctor may tell you up front that marijuana is okay, but if Medicaid were to check your file or request your records, this could open up a whole lot of trouble for both you and her.

I'm not trying to bash or judge you, just urge you to be cautious.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Are you for real??? Do u know in the state I live in the amount of mj I have us considered a misdimeaner? Do you think I'd get in trouble if all my drs agree that it is ok , they just can't give it to me, and that as long as it is noted in their records I smoke it for to help with my doctumented medical condition? And as far as Medicaid if they found out they would care less... unless I was some kind of dealer or something,unless I have been arrested and charged or proscecuted for drugs they don't care and can do nothing about it if they do care.I don't keep but enough for me. I'm bout sick of you coming on here and JUDGING people constantly. Not to sound mean becuz I'm not,but you really should put your advise to good use and instead of stirring up crap!!!!
    And another thing, if I ever lost Medicaid or my disability,I'm not worried. I have a good family and a good man in my life, that I wouldn't have to worry bout it! I sit at home with it. I smoke outside my house in the country,not bothering anyone, my while family knows I smoke and stand behind me cuz it helps me,u don't drive high on mj, I will not drive on my meds. I will skip several doses if I know I have to drive, not just for my safety but others in the road. Believe me I'd be the last one out there looking fir that to happen. But you are no one to me, you don't know me,I would really like for you to not post on my threads again. I do not want your advice! I'm not hurting no one, trying to have a better quality of life, MY LIFE!!!! I don't drink!! How's that working for you? Do u skip your meds before you drive, do you trust that when you drink you after taking meds
    Is safe?? You want a debate ur something????
    Yeah,Ron is there something in the forum rules that i may have missed that says I can't smoke mj and discuss that it helps my chronic pain?
  • That is wonderful news Holly!! I am so very happy she is going to help you. It's about time you got help. You have suffered long enough. I think I need to move to NJ and perhaps I could get help from a Doctor.
    And you are at long last getting that painful stimulator out!! So far mine does not cause me pain as long as it is turned off. Some people like to say I never gave mine a chance. Bah Humbug....It does nothing for my pain, nothing!! If it did I would use it!! Why put up with the tingling/pulsing when it is not helping in any way??
    But I have said to much...others are waiting for their trial and I do not want to upset them.
    No, I have not said to much. Everyone knows it does not help everyone. Some people get great results and some do not.
    I do not know why I had a great trial but nothing from my permanent implant. But I do know I am not the only person who has this very same problem.

Best of luck Holly!! We are all rooting for you girl!! Isn't this a GREAT site?? Everyone here is happy for you.
    Patsy W <:P <:P
  • Hi Hollie, great to hear that you have found such a helpful, understanding pain management doc! I hope it helps get your pains levels down a bit.
  • Hollie and Michael, to my knowledge there is no set rule against discussing medicinal marijuana on the forums here. However, through the years there have been several topics that have been closed because of the way the members react and are so divided on this issue.

If the members start bashing one another, that is when the mods step in and close the topic. Also, if this were to become an avenue for telling people where or how to get MJ, that would not be acceptable.

On a personal note, I need to step up and take some of the heat for your lashing out at Michael. I am the one who brought up the Medicaid issues. I do still think it could be an issue for you, but you are an adult and will do what you think is best for you. All I can do is urge caution. Recently Texas had a law in legislation that will allow prosecution for even medicinal marijuana users, with a fine of up to $4,000 and the possibility for jail time. You may want to research that. I do not know if it has passed at this point.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • HollieSterling38 said:

Mine shocks me and hurts off or on. But I blame the dr for not checking it out. Not one xray to see whats up. An even after seeing reps several times it didn't help with adjustments. It failed me!!!
    What I find interesting, is that most of us who experience a change in the stimulation field, have reps or docs who first things first hook up and run a couple of diagnostic tests. If those tests show anything out of limits, they usually get repeated and further tests done. X-rays are not normally taken unless there is an indication that it is necessary. Docs try to minimize our exposure via x-ray, since that's basically all we have left once our SCS is implanted.

Instead of trying to blame someone for the SCS not working for you, why not try and figure out why it doesn't work for you. You may save others a lot of grief down the road, if there is some specific condition that you have that keeps the SCS from being effective. Figure that out and then help the others to understand.

"C"
  • My dr and scs failed me!!!
    As for causing grief... I feel that people reading only the great success
    of the scs may find that is what they should only expect, success!
    What a let down if they find it isn't for them.
    I suppose we should only talk about the good results of all surgeries,
    Proceedures,meds,drs,pcp,etc,etc.....
    That way people can only expect good results only.
    Yeah, that sounds like a more logical and realistic approach, I suppose.
    Again, for the upteenth time,mydr failed me by telling me it was last resort,
    Leads don't move, you can't feel leads,it can't shock you,etc etc....
    And I guess that I'm 1 in 1,000,000 that all these things happen to.
    Probly more like the only 1 in 1,000,000 that isn't afraid to say it sux!!!
    It HURTS me! What is wrong with me declaring this out loud?
    Do your meds work? Did your surgeries work, do your pm proceedures all work???? Should I know what all works for you so I can expect the same?
    Hmmm, probly not. I think it would be more realistic to know the truth of both sides so I can make a more informed descision.A realistic descision.

With 2 pm's saying it needs to be removed and other measures need to be taken, becuz it has failed ME, I think it's realistic to go a new route.

I had diagnostics done, I had setting adjusted, still no xray...
    It HURTS me on, shocking pain..off, the leads in my neck hurt me, the leads up against my spine HURT me,the battery pack on my ribs hurt me..
    The thing is useless to ME!

I'm glad many have had great results,I truly am. Sincerely I hope anyone having the trial or upcoming implant has great results and success! I am not, nor have I ever said that no one should give it a try.

I wish I had the same good results as everyone else. Hmmm, but I didn't.

• I know u don't deal, I don't deliver, I don't grow, I don't drive with it on me.(I'm not stupid)The amount I ever have in my home is enough for a cop to laugh at becuz here he is the one to decide whether he wants to 1) give me a ticket 2) let it be 3)he wouldn't even be at my home in first place.

Here if you get pulled over and caught (with the amount I ever have on me) the cop is probly going to just take it away from you and be on his way....leaving you with a warning of "don't be caring it around with you!"
    Hmm.... So where's my problem?
    Even if your going to report me to someone who cares??? I'm not worried. I'm good!
    I sit my happy self at home,and don't see a problem..

But I'm really sorry if it bothers you.
    I understand. I didn't ask for it to be a subject to discuss. My topic was about
    My great dr visit. That I found a dr that is going to help my pain.
    And to mention that I smoke, was an honest declaration. I have nothing to hide.
    Just like not being the only one in chronic pain, I know I'm not the only one who smokes pot for their chronic pain.

And in no way shape or form will I feel ashamed for it.

I
  • I'm pretty amazed too. Every pain doctor I've ever been to (even the really crappy ones) value their practice, their license, and their livelihood too much to overlook illegal drug use among their patients. Heaven knows the DEA isn't going to overlook them knowingly prescribing to a subset of people they classify as problematic.

I suppose it's possible that I just seek out a different breed of pain doctors, though, because I've also never been to one that prescribes anything on the first visit.
  • I was prepared before I saw her,age had all my records,xrays,etc
    Plus she personally spoke to my pcp, that i've had 12 yrs.
    Too bad your drs aren't like mine.

• Thank you, sheeesh if I thought I'd stir up such controversy, I would have left it alone.
    I too,as I said was talking bout my visit. Sorry there are too many people here that get
    Trigger happy and have to shoot people down.
    I wasn't promoting nothing,or never would. I know where I live, what the law is.
    Kkkkkkk,let just get back to my original thread topic! Mr dr visit.
    Thank God I found a caring and understanding dr that's going to help me!!!
    Thanks Paul!
  • HollieSterling38 said:
    My dr and scs failed me!!!
    As for causing grief... I feel that people reading only the great success
    of the scs may find that is what they should only expect, success!
    What a let down if they find it isn't for them.
    I suppose we should only talk about the good results of all surgeries,
    Proceedures,meds,drs,pcp,etc,etc.....

Hollie,

Please reread my previous post, you missed my point completely.

"C"
  • Seeing how xrays/even a catscan is what drs are limited to with this scs, it might be best to have it removed in case I need an MRI or further surgeries.
    I just hope once it's removed, my drs can figure it all out.
    Please tell me your point that I did not get.
    Sorry if I misunderstood your post, help me out here.
  • haglandc said:
    Instead of trying to blame someone for the SCS not working for you, why not try and figure out why it doesn't work for you. You may save others a lot of grief down the road, if there is some specific condition that you have that keeps the SCS from being effective. Figure that out and then help the others to understand.
    Basically I was pointing out that in the interest of any and all who may be reading your multiple threads about how your doctor is to blame for your SCS failing you, why not approach it analytically.

People who are researching spinal stimulation will benefit more from reading about the how and why this did not work versus reading about emotional responses to conditions unknown with a side of illegal substance abuse thrown in.

"C"
  • Really??? My PAIN has nothing to do with emotional crap.
    Maybe it's emotional that my scs hurts me???
    That's about ridiculous don't you think? Maybe my failed surgery is emotional,
    Maybe my meds I was on that didnt touch my pain is emotional,my chronic debilitating pain is emotional,proceedures I've had that were useless were just emotional????
    Nahhh, that emotional excuse don't fly!

• I am so thrilled that you found a caring doctor. It sounds like the doc really listened to you and wants you to feel better. Let us know how the new meds work. Also, I am glad you are honest about your experience with the SCS. I totally understand. I have had a few really scary problems with mine too. Getting shocked is no fun. I have had it happen and I have to keep both of my remotes very close to me at all times, just in case.

Have a great weekend!!

Melissa
advertisement