Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from Finland, Scandinavia

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
Howdy, folks!

Found this interesting forum when I decided to find some foreign forums around this subject. Looks like you've got tons of interesting information here, gotta do a lot of browsing... :D B) :D

Anyways, destroyed one disc in my neck 10 years ago while squatting in the gym. The bar apparently broke the disc and gave me a partial paralysis of my left hand. Curiously enough, the pain and tightness between my scapulas started traveling down my spine fairly fast. First the tightness and then the pain of course followed. In a couple of weeks my back muscles were so badly spasming/cramping all the way down to the buttocks I couldn't stay up for more than like 5 minutes at a time - and not too many times a day. In short I was tied to my bed.

Then I got the neck surgery, anterior decompression of the disc between C7 and Th1, and got vertical again. But then the downward slope started again in the form of unbeliavably rough muscle cramps in my back. Nowadays my superficial muscles don't cramp anymore, but I'm still fighting the problem. I am vertical usually about 6-8 hrs a day, so there's still a long way to go... :? :O :?

I am most interested in different rehabilitation means - especially in the ones that work ;)) - and would like to hear of things that have worked for you. I've found some wonderful books on the subject just lately and am mostly impressed about the (scientific based) "Australian method" or "Motor control approach" by Richardson-Hodges-Hides.

Also I found some good OMT therapists few months ago, and am hopeful that this would finally work. I am working out 2-3 times a day and this approach to me seems to be very close to the Australian method. Anyway, would be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences about different rehab methods! :))) 8> :)))

• My issues are actually in my lumbar area so I really do not have any advice at all for you. You might want to check out the treatment tabs at the top of the page for some good info. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • J.J.Grey said:
    My issues are actually in my lumbar area so I really do not have any advice at all for you. You might want to check out the treatment tabs at the top of the page for some good info. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for the welcome! :)))

I quess I wasn't too clear in my text. My issues are also mainly in the lumbar area. Sure, I got neck surgery, but my neck hasn't been the problem since the surgery.

My pain issues as well as frequently locking vertebras are mainly in the lumbar area, but also thoracic portion has these problems in a slightly milder form. I have to see a chiropractor every week to keep myself operational and vertical.

However, there is no clear structural pathology in my lower back, so the problems seem to be mainly neuromuscular in nature. Nowadays there are degenerated discs, one slightly protruding, Schmorl's nodes, Modic II changes and some instability, but nothing that would clearly irritate or press the nerve roots for example. :? :? :?

So, I'm a "difficult case" and mostly doctors and physiotherapists don't have any ideas how to help me. Luckily there are some who don't think I'm a basket case, but they sure are hard to find... :/ :? :/