Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No recliner after surgery?

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the forums. I had L4/L5 interbody fusion with a lot of metal on wednesday. The list of restricted activities is a recliner. Anyone know why I can't use the recliner? All that leaves me with is a kitchen chair. I can't see me doing that for weeks on end, Thanks for all the help in advance.

• If yours is like mine, you bury up in it. They probably don't want you straining to get out of it. No bending, twisting, or lifting. I will have my 360 done on Tue and Thur. Praying for your quick recovery! God Bless!
  • There are great differences among recliners. The one I had prior to my surgery was most like a shell. my back kind of curled up in it. It was comfy before, but a no! no! after fusion. At first I found ergonomic computer chairs the most comfortable, the ones that had fairly straight back and armrests. But I could not use them for too long. After three weeks of discomfort, I broke down and bought a Zero-gravity lift chair/recliner. It cost a lot, but somebody told me that at Craig's list you can buy one for a song. The beauty of that recliner is that it fully supports the back, and the lift enables one to ease off it, without bending forwards and straining.

• When you have a fusion, they normally teach you the log roll to get in and out of bed and sit up. I couldnt have used a recliner, cause I could not reach the handle without twisting, and also to get up from the recliner after the fusion, is something that would be next to impossible with a normal one. If you have one that is a lift type, that may be different. You need to confer with your Dr on that. Hope this helps to explain.
  • Obviously follow the doctor recommendations but I hurt from trying to sit on the kitchen chairs too long. The couch was too low so I asked for help getting out of the recliner until I was strong enough to do it myself. Sometimes I slept in the chair and napped in it too. Good Luck to you and best wishes on a full recovery.
  • No issues getting in and out as my recliner is high. I don't use the reclining function but the kitchen type chair they suggested hurts. I don't have one that has any padding so it is all wood. Just wondering if I don't bend, twist, or lift if this chair would be ok.
  • My best recommendation to you is to ask your Dr. I have a hopital bed and that gives my numerous ways to lay. I know that a hard kitchen chair is probably not something they want you in. They dont want you sitting straight for longer than 10-15 mins. I was only allowed to sit for meals and bathroom. Check with Dr. I am sure recliner would be better than hard chair especially if you dont twist or bend getting in and out.
  • I would not have made it the first couple weeks without it. It gave me just enough bends(similar to the hosp bed) that I could sleep for about 3 hours at a time. I scooted to the edge and used my walker to get up. I have long arms so I didnt have to twist to use the handle. My discharge instructions were, wear brace whenever out of bed, no lifting anything over 5 lbs. and activity as tolerated. Well I read many more restrictions on this site, so I proceded with great care. My nerve pain caused most of my restrictions, that and medication reactions.It is important to listen to your body. Good luck, talk to your doc about the recliner, if you cant get a hospital bed, to me, its the next best thing.
  • I tried 2 different recliners after my L4/5 fusion and could not be comfortable in either one - or any other chair - for more than about 15 minutes. Sitting is perhaps the most uncomfortable position for most people recovering from lumbar fusion. It was weeks before I could sit anywhere for more than 15 to 20 minutes with any degree of comfort. What I found most comfortable was slightly propped up on the sofa with many pillows around me.

However, I do know that a recliner works for many people - if it is one that you do not have to push to at all with your body to change positions. Do talk to your surgeon - if he is saying no recliner them he probably has suggestions for other kinds of seating that might work for you.
  • I haven't had my fusion yet, but I put a firm pillow on my recliner to give me support and it keeps me sitting fairly upright while giving me a bit of comfort. I did this after my surgery last year and it helped and I was able to watch TV. If I didn't have the pillow there, I would slouch in the recliner and that hurts my back.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Me and hubby went out last night for all of 15 minutes and picked out a high back office chair. It at least starts out comfortable. I can sit for about 20 minutes before I gotta move so that's something anyway.