Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

uncontrollable arm/hand/shoulder pain

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
This week my pain levels have gone up considerably. I finally got the nurse in my NS office to call me back yesterday. I wanted to find out if they had my surgery date yet and to ask to NS for a stronger pain med (they had said if this wasn't stong enough to call).

I used to get by pretty well on 1-2 norco a day and 1 flexerile combined with about 800 mg of ibuprofen. My prescription said 1-2 every 4-6 hours on the norco and 1 5 mg flexerile every 8 hours. I also have 10 mg flexerile but purposely asked for the 5 mg since 10 mess's me up a little too much.

Well for the last few days I have been taking 1-2 norco every 6 hours (2 in the early evening) and it is not touching my pain. I explain this to the nice nurse. She then informs me that they are not pain managers and it is very unusual that they are giving me anything before my surgery but she will ask the surgeon for a refill and call me when she has called it to the pharmacy. I picked up my meds today and they gave me vicaden 5/500 1-2 every 6-8 hours and flexerile 10mg 1 every 8 hours.....????

Regarding my surgery date. She says that I never called back to tell them when was a good time. I said yes I did. I called on the 9th and said when ever the NS can get me I will do (he had said mid October he can squeeze me in). She did call me I have the saved message on my voice mail. Apparently she wanted to blame me for that one but I caught her. She then says that the order never made it to her desk..... I still have no surgery date.

I don't know how much longer I am going to last. When I say that I am in pain I really mean it. I have debating going to the ER. My right side was the worse side (I have a hard time using my arm/hand for anything). But now my left arm is hurting worse and I have very little hand control.

OMG will the pain ever let up? I can't sleep and I can't get away from it.

• Julie,

Hang in there with the pain. We all get it who have had surgery and it is no fun. You keep going and running from the pain. You will do almost anything to get some relief. I really hate to hear someone going through this as I can so relate to it, and understand how brutal it is. Hope they get that surgery date soon for you. One thing that may help is to lay down and try and put your arms over your head. Sometimes it can change it to get the pressure off the nerve. You may also try ice on the nerve itself and on your neck, or i put ice on the arm and heat on the neck, to help the tension. I have been known to make a bed of ice and lay it in to help it. Of course a hot bath or shower help some till it gets cold again. Another thing if you can't sleep with arms over head try laying on the worst arm and holding the other side up with pillows like bracing yourself in and make sure you neck is straight on the pillows even with your shoulders. If you could get a cervical collar you maybe able to get some relief that way as well. Wish I had more ideas, hope you get some relief. Let us know when surgery is.
  • Sorry to hear that you're going through so much. I know where you're at, I was once there too. I can't say much more then what Tam suggested, it's exactly what I did, except for the ice, I was all about the heat. I hate to say it, but sometimes there was no escape, except to take the flexeril, which knocks me out, too. But then I would sleep for a few hours, and would wake up feeling a little more relaxed. Having my arm above my head while laying down did help take some of the pressure off. I also couldn't lay in bed, my couch was more comfortable for me. Something about how the arm of the couch, with pillows was just at the right elevated angle. No matter what we tried, we just couldn't recreate it in the bed.
    Hang in there. Do everything possible to get yourself comfortable, it may take some trial and error, but you'll find some things that will ease the pain for at least a little while. I hope that you hear soon about your date, and when you go, that it does help you.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I find the best relief for me is to sit in a recliner with my head and neck supported or to lay down to support it. Getting the weight off my shoulders an any way helps me out. A hot tub helps tremendously with the muscle tension brought on by the fight going on to support things.

I hope they call you back with a surgery date soon.

• Thanks guys & gals.

I did manage to sleep pretty well. I woke at 4:30 and took a 10 mg flexerile and vicodin went back to sleep till 9:30 (OMG). As soon I got out ouf bed it started in. I realize that any time I lift even a couple of pounds now I hurt. If I lift my arms above my waist it kills.

I use a heating pad and gel ice- depending on how I am feeling. I never thought of making a bed of ice. I usually take one and put it on my neck if it does hurt but with the arm/hand/thing I don't think I can reach the pain with ice.

Thanks for the support.

• I hope that you are able to reach your doctor regarding your surgery date. Maybe once you know the end of the tunnel - you may just feel somewhat better to know how much longer you need to hang on.

Keep us posted. Sometimes, if I am able to just rest my head - it can help tremedous. Like just laying down on a heating pad flat on the floor.

hope you feel better now that you got some sleep