Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Lead Appointment, Good news, Bad news

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
I went to my appointment with the surgeon who put my SCS in.He took x rays of my leads and my lower spine, 5, or 6 in all. to see if the scs is causing my pain. SCS and leads were fine.
The bad news is my next level up L2,L1 Did have ddd and bulging, But now is non existent. Gone! nothing between but air. And the back of the discs has calcified, and there are bone spurs.
This Surgeon spent 35 quality minutes with me, plus all the x rays, I think that's more time than my other surgeon spent with me for multiple surgeries!
This Surgeon is also a professor at u.c. Berkley or Davis And teaches a new procedure where he goes in from the side and does all his work and then installs some kind of a new basket. All arthroscopically!
I like this guy so much more than my other surgeon. He will give me much more information after a cat scan and disco gram.
He also said to call ANS and have them totally reprogram my SCS.
He said he thinks he can get my pain down from a 5 to 6 with a occasional spike to 8. Down to a 1 to 2.
Good luck, Jim :))) :D
Needless to say, I'm excited even with my "white coat syndrome"
Now I have to wait for work comp approval.
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• i take it the scs needs reprograming because it isnt directed toward L1/L2. i also assume the scs never worked for you. you got to love it when the surgeon tells you he's confident your pain can be reduced. just hearing that can take your pain down one notch... :-C
    please keep us posted and lets hope for the best....pete
  • That's very cool news. It's always great to hear when someone finds a new doc with fresh ideas who is willing to take the time to work with you.

Glad to hear that the doc wants you to have the ANS rep totally revamp your programming. Let us know how that all goes.

• I'm really happy to hear this news. Please let us know how it goes with the programming appointmtent. Susan
  • That is GREAT news!! To get your pain down that much is wonderful!! Keep us updated!!
    Best of luck
    Patsy W
  • Goodluck! I hope it goes well and you get relief!
    All my drs I have give me more than a walk in walk out visit.
    Especially my pcp, he's great and I always get at least 20 minutes of his time. I too have waited over an hour to get in, but that's ok cuz he's a talker.
    It's worth the wait knowing i'm gonna get to talk, too.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm just not used to being treated like that. And I've seen an unbelievable amount of Dr.s and never been treated this well! Plus he said don't hesitate to call If I come up with any new questions.WHAT!!!
    Thanks to all of you for your replies.
    I know it's going to take some time to get the ball rolling but if my chronic pain can drop by even a little bit. It will be more than I ever expected!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Its great to get a good doctor. My pain management doctor id excellent. She makes sure i get all the time i need with her at each visit. Plus when she placed my leads, she put them up further than what was actually needed. So in reality i'm only using the bottom half right now. But there is room for advancement if needed. My pain level after my implant went from an 8 to about a 2 now. I'm more than happy.