Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WandtmacWWandtmac Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Medications
Has anyone else noticed having severe sweats in the mornings? I do take high levels of lortab 10, normally 8 a day and oxy 40mg 3x day. In the mornings I take my meds and take a shower within and hour. I swear the sweat is so bad that I am wetter from that than taking a shower! I am not sure if I am having pain that I just am not feeling or if I am hitting that point in a womens life to be experiencing some changes.
I do experience break thru pain during the day with some sweats but nothing that completely soaks me like in the mornings.
Anyone else experience this type of sweating? Really annoying when trying to get out the door and I need to get this under control before they release me to go back to work.

Thanks to everyone on this board. I have gotten a lot of support during this really rough time. This surgery was bad enough but life goes on and other things have came along that just hasn't allowed me to rest and take it easy. I can always turn to here and get the strengh to keep going.

• You sound like my wife. She is 52 and has always been cold natured. Now if she moves, she sweats. Some meds, especially steroids cause me to do that. After some nerve blocks, I thought my face was going to go up in flames!
  • It wakes me up, it's so bad. Well that and pain, it's really the pain that wakes me up, thus I think it's the pain that causes it. That, and some meds do that to you too.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I've noticed the slightest physical thing causes it as well. I don't think I am over doing it but I get really red faced & break out sweating.
    I am only 39 but only one ovary could be causing the womens issue to becoming on early.

Thanks ya'll. Thought I was going crazy here & the poor hubby just stares at me in sorrow when it happens.
  • Yes definitely. I often wake up several times a night soaked drenched in sweat. I often have to change clothes and pillows. Some times three times a night. it sucks. For me i think that its both the pain and a reaction to Oxycodone. It happened much more to me when I used to take OxyContin. (i take Opana now) but i still take percocet (oxycodone 5mg) for breaktrhough pain. and on these days sweat more. But pain alone will do it too.

I also sweat more when its hot in general and when i work out.
  • Hi Wantmac,

Yes, every morning after I take a shower -- I could take another shower. I think it's the handful of medication I take with my coffee. Also, steroids also cause it too. Pain will cause it also.

So I thank goodness for deoderant and sweat towels (LOL!).

Hang in there!

• I am not sure as I am 49 and could be having the change, but ever since I have been on oxy I have had the worst time with it. I think the oxy is the culprit and also the Fentanyl. Night sweats are the worse. I have three pillows, so I can have one that isnt drenched.
    I think maybe the oxy is causing you to have problems as well. Take care...
  • I absolutely despise this side effect!

Taking a shower is still an exhausting chore for me. I will take a shower 3 hours before any appointment, as the getting ready part is even more exhausting and I always have emotional fits from the sweating. I have learned to just keep my robe on until it's time to get dressed, as I've gone through way too many shirts in the process of getting ready. The car rides, the walking, the waiting... all result in having a drenched shirt. I have tried applying different talc's, in hopes they would help, but they don't when I need to get out of the house. They work pretty good at home, though.

I am so thankful I am out of my TLSO turtle shell brace. The summer months would have been agony with that hard shell in the Arizona heat. I feel for anyone who is confined to one of those during the summer months.

I believe the sweating is a result of taking Oxycontin, Percocet and Lyrica. When I dropped from 180mg's of Oxycontin to 120mg's, I noticed a slight improvement. The Lyrica has been working great for the nerve pain (I've only been taking it for two weeks), but sure enough... it had to get together with the Oxycontin and Percocet and bring back the sweating episodes full force.

I know it's important to keep hydrated, so I drink lots of water every day. Our box fan is like another appendage around the house and I grab magazines and menus to fan myself when we are out.

Wishing everyone a good day with minimal sweating! :)

• Seems oxy may be the common in most of these responses. I really can't afford the make up that I am using each day. I doesn't have the time to set to become water/sweat resistant!!!!!!

I would hate to come off of oxy it helps my chronic pain a great deal and I have taken it a very long time but I might have to check on that.

Thanks everyone you sure have opened my eyes to help guide me in a direction.
  • I use to be the same way when I was on high doses of Oxycodone but now that my meds have been reduced I no longer have the sweating problem, so it's the meds.
    I also get B12 injections every month and that seems to help.
    I shower at night so never have that problem in the morning. Have you tried that? What are you going to be doing over night to get dirty? LOL
    My hair would never dry if i would shower in the morning.
    It's night and as a matter of fact....I am going to take my shower now.
    When I was on high doses of meds it took FOREVER for me to dry off but no problems now.
    Patsy W :H
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    When pain levels go up, your blood pressure can also go up, along with your pulse. That can contribute to sweats.

You are young (39) so I dont know if if those sweat s could be menopause related or not.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am going through menopause but I do believe that some of the sweating that I experience is from the opiates. The hormonal night sweats are more like you are burning up from the inside out.
  • Hi everyone,

I just saw this posted on the Board and had to let you know you are not alone, nor are you crazy. I was taking Opana ER and it never lasted the 12 hours it was suppose to and my neurologist at that time would not give me a break-thru med to take so about 4-6 hours after taking it, I would just break out into a sweat and the pain was terrible, it was unbelievable, I would start sweating in my hair and knew what was coming and then it was all over. My face would turn so red, it looked as though I had been standing over an open fire. I didn't want to go out of the house. So, I understand what you are going thru.

I also did this when I took Methadone. I can't take it either and I know it helps so many, I wish I could take it, but my jeans would be soaking wet, that's how bad it was for me.

After about 10 months and no help from the Opana ER medication, nor my doctor, I went back to my neurologist who had retired and explained to him what that doctor and medication was doing to me and he told me to go get my file, that he had taken back a few of this same doctor's patients because of him doing the same thing to them. He wanted me back and away from him.

One lady had lost her job as a school nurse because he changed her medication and she got so bad, she couldn't work, she begged him to leave her on the same meds, but he wouldn't. See, my retired doctor had referred some of us to this doctor (years before they had been in the same office) and told him when he referred us to him we were doing just fine on our meds and not to change them unless something went wrong and we needed a change, so he was really upset. He knew we were not his patients anymore, but to change us when we were doing okay and have us in such pain and not help us was uncalled for to him. He doesn't work that way. He cares.

There was no reason for this nerologist to change my medication, I told him I was doing the best I had in a long time, he was just pushing that OpanaER. All of us had been put on that medication.

Anyway, my now semi-retired doctor said those meds do not last 12 hours for most people like us, especially without a break-thru med, that we need meds more frequently, (but I had a stroke also)so he put me back on Hydromorphone, which I had been on. It does not give me complete pain relief, no, nothing does, I had a hemorrhagic stroke also that left me with pain, but it helps, Opana ER did nothing, that medication just did nothing for me, except make me sweat.

But I have to say sometimes after a shower, as some of you were saying, if I am moving around, getting ready, if I don't sit down and go VERY slowly, I feel the same way......like I need another shower! It's the meds. I am not menopausal!

Take care,
  • I have been taking oxycodone for about five months and right after I started on them I noticed the sweats. I also get pretty red too. I notice it when I first take them and I also notice the sweats when I miss a dose. I will get cold to the bone but sweat and sweat. Luckily, my surgery took care of my pain and I am currently weening off of them. Not a fun thing to do but I knew it would be coming and I have prepared myself.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Take your temperature at night ( when sweating is the worst for a spine infection). Everyone thought it was my meds but I knew something else was wrong. It tool almost a year before test confirmed the infection.All my docs thought I was either going thru the change or it was my meds. There are a lot of meds that do cause this so don't let thins post freak you out; But if you are feeling flu like, increased pain ( not all the time) it may be time to talk to your doctor