Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

From one spiny to the other

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted. I post a little history here. I have question some of you might be able to shed a little light on.

I have a fusion in April of 2008, L5-S1. Prior to this, I had two previous surgeries on the L4 and L5. However, this was my first and I hope my only fusion. I did well after all three surgeries. And IMO I did really well after my fusion. Anyway, I know sciatic pain when I feel it. But, what I'm feeling lately seems odd, not like the pain of sciatica. However, I do wonder if it's sciatic. I don't really have pain in my butt except occasionally when I feel like I have a slight charlie horse there. My lower right leg from the knee down keeps going numb. Both when I stand and when I lay. After standing, it stays numb for a while when I sit. But it's brought on by standing and lying. And since my surgery, if feels like I'm stepping on NAILS with my big right toe, recently I started feeling it in my left big toe. So, I guess that's two questions. And yes, I know I need to call my surgeon and I will, but right now I want to see what others have to say about it.

• I never had any issues that I can recall with my legs going numb or getting pins and needles (going to sleep) feeling until after my fusion 7/1/08. Now I get the pins and needles feeling in the back of my thighs and my calves when standing, sitting and sometimes laying down as well. The most comfortable position for me is to be in a reclined position propped up with pillows with my feet bent and pillows under my knees. I can't walk for very long cuz my legs get very weak now and my feet start to go numb. Also the lumbar pain seems to have gotten worse after sugery. I feel worse now than before surgery.

Sorry for all the negativity. I really wish I had something positive to report. I just want to be 100% honest with you.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments or just to vent.
  • Hi Notagain,
    I guess what comes to mind is a emg study. What you are experiencing may have nothing to do with your back, but then again may have everything to do with it. What you are describing sounds close to what I have in a peroneal nerve that is trapped. The injury to that nerve actually occurred two years back from a fall, however it takes sometime to show up. But I would think a emg study may be the place to track where it originates from. The peroneal nerve is a branch of the sciatic starting at the knee. But of course I am no doctor just someone who needs the surgery to get it fixed. Do you still have your hardware in place that could be causing any issues? Anyway keep us posted as to what it turns out to be.