Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG again

RefugeeRRefugee Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
How many of these things will he do and how ofter. I had one done about a year ago but my symptoms have got worse since then.

Also having problems with my pain meds not working like the did 3-4 months ago. I tried telling him this when i had to go in a week early because i was so bad Now i go back in a few days and need someway the explain to him i need a stronger dosage or something else. Any ideas on how to tell him this?

• Your body could be building a tolerance to the current meds you are on right now and you may need an adjustment. Are you having another EMG soon? I also wondered how often they do these cuz I had one almost a year ago and it came back ok but I've gotten quite a bit worse since then. I also have to keep getting adjustments to my meds about every 3-4 months. My pain mgmt doc is pretty good and easy to talk to about that though. When is your next appt? Who do you get your pain meds from (pain mgmt doc, primary care doc etc) and do you have to go once a month to get your prescriptions and talk about how they are working for you? I have to go each month to my pain mgmt doc and she does pill count, asks about pain level, has me walk a bit and bend forward and that's about it. She must make a lot of money cuz she charges $95 each visit just for that.
  • Thanks for the reply. I go this week and it is to pain doc. I have been on mine longer than three months now that i think about it. One is extended release the other is for break through but now im dosing with tylenol rapid release to help with the pain. I was just curious what others actually say to their doctors i dont want him to think i want anything specific because i dont know what is out there but something i dont have to take all day and then suffer at night. He is so sweet a person ill figure it out i guess if no one else responds. I got worse so he scheduled another one but first one was okay. if it is okay this time im gonna request further testing for ms. I am having a lot of problems right now.
  • its great you have such good relationship with pm dr. dont hold back anything, just tell him whats going on with the pain. speak your mind and ask for help...honesty is the best policy :-C :-C
  • What is that? That's a new one to me.
    Could someone tell me, please!
  • What is that? That's a new one to me.
    Could someone tell me, please!
    And about your meds, just flat out tell him they aren't working.

• You shouldn't have to do this test very often. I've personally undergone 3 of them and there not very pleasant. Each time I was given one, it was used to verify whether or not my nerve damage was temporary or permanent. It was used as a measurement prior to and following my surgeries. It's definitely not a test you want to fail.

• but im getting closer and i have now done two of them and im bruised on both biceps. the abnormailities werent there before surgery and for 2 years after but i have constantly told them something is wrong and its only getting worse im sure they thought oh just pain and nothing else but now all this stuff is starting to come out of nowhere.

Hollie an emg is a nerve test. he fist measures and marks my skin then its like an electrical shock instrument he uses it pulses certain spots on the arm and hand then the needle he takes a needle and puts in through the skin to the nerve this is the only way i can describe it. it isnt pleasant but not a horrible test to go through.
  • Oh ok... I've had that, it is not fun. Thought that's what you were talkin bout but didn't remember what it called. Only once though.
    Good luck to you, hope you get answers!
  • When do you go for your EMG? Have you had it already?

I only had one - about 2 years ago; it showed my nerve damage to be permanent, so I guess it does not really matter, if I complain, the test isn't going to come out any worse. HOWEVER, had it come out normal, or showed little abnormalities, and I had increased pain levels about a year later, I am sure another would have been scheduled to see what's changed.

I have to admit, it makes all the difference in the world if you are working in tandem with your doc, and that you respect the doctor and he/she respects you. Sure makes life more tolerable, doesn't it?

Good luck with everything!
  • make life easier and i do have a good relationship with my doctors so far and i pray it continues. I already had emg done and ended up having carpul tunnel on the right and chronic abnormalities at the the c-6 level. anyone know how they can tell between chronic and acute cause he said mine was chronic not acute and ill take that as being a good thing even though i still suffer. How can they tell if its permanent i just assumed with nerve damage it would be permanent and he thinks mine is coming from the surgery site. oh well ill see him next week and discuss it more thoroughly thanks for replying.