Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What Things Do You Do To Keep The Cold Air Off Your Injury?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I live in Pa. Today quickly reminded me that cold/cool air is so very painful for me with no relief once I am cold.

I have 1 area on my lower back that if it gets even cool or damp air I am in agony. The Dr's assume it is a nerve thing. Once cold air hits it there is no return from the pain & spasms that hit me. I do go right to bed as we have a water bed, but even that does not remove the pain completely but does handel the crisis level of OMG pain..

My question is do any of you this issue? & What do you do to keep from cold or damp getting to your injured area?

A coat makes NO difference - or I obviously would not be asking this questions lol ;)

The damp/cold air goes right through any coats I have. We are able to buy me one for about 150.00 $ ( max ! ) but what material am I looking for that won't allow the air to seep through?

Or does any one else know of any "tricks" to keep warm ?

Hubby has to go and start the car for me until it is warmed up or I am in a mess of pain real quick.

He describes me best - in cold weather he says I am like the Tin Man I just freeze up.

It's like that part of my injury is a magnet to cold or dame air and draws it in :<

• PS: can't edit 1st post - dame air is suppose to be damp air lol
  • The only response I can give you to your question is the answer I finally had to come up with to combat the same problem in myself-I moved! (From Michigan to Florida) I know that it might not seem financially feasible, but before you just up and rule that out, keep in mind one thing....I was homeless, living in a tent this summer (long story), so if *I* can figure it out, I should think most anyone could.

Good luck to you....keep warm this winter! I remember the feeling of freezing every year from Labor Day to Memorial Day so I can completely sympathize with your situation!

Keep us posted, OK?
  • A good gore-tex jacket with a fleece liner does the trick for me. Gore-tex is water and wind proof, and is breathable (doesn't trap moisture inside). The fleece will keep you nice and cozy warm, as well as keeping the moisture away from your body. Polypropylene or thermax long undershirts also help, and take the moisture away from your body. If you go to any sports/outdoor clothing stores, they should be able to fix you up nicely!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I wear flannel bottoms PJs when it gets cool and have brought my flannel throw in the bed to at times under the comforter in bed. I wear sweaters and a scarf around my lower back in winter. I also have my infrared platinum heating pad with Velcro on while sitting at the computer. I just had this old asbestos cement house insulated on the outside and vinyl siding put up plus energy efficient windows to keep me toasty and it's a good sound barrier also and cost a well worth it price of $7000. Stay warm. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had seen self-heating pads at the pharmacy so Googled Heat pads and found this

Does this sound like it might do the job on your back?

There are probably similar things in the US that you could buy online. They look good - I reckon I might get one for next Winter!
  • Thank you ALL so very much!

JenG - The stick on heat pads don't work well for me - sadly. I have tried them many of times.

Charry - Inside I am good to go lol We rent a town house with FREE heat ( yippee! ) and sleep in a heated water bed. We have "woobies" here in every room in the house lol ( woobies are what our grandkids call blankets lol ) for when I get cold and no one else can stand how hot I have the place.

Smiley - gore-tex . OK seriously I have bought my clothing and such at stores like Walmart my whole life. We are not poor as in we can't eat but we don't buy anything special either ( we got this town house 1 floor ranch after My injury to help me better and it takes all of our $ to keep it ) SO my point is I don't know anything about gore-tex products - will it say that name on the label?

EMT - sorry you had it so rough. I won't move! My daughter and 7 ( soon to be born 8th ) grandchildren are here and they are the best medicine I could ever get. I seriously keep on living because of them.

I will google gore-tex and see what I can learn about it.

Part of the problem is - I work in a very very hot building ( most days over 100 degrees) and then go out side to get to the next job and I freeze up literally. :(

Even when I am not at work or any such hot building, I still freeze up badly but it is really terrible when I come out of a hot place into the cold weather.....

Thanks again to ALL :)

• Yes, it has Gore-tex labels on the clothing. They can run pretty pricey, however, you can find them for a reasonable price, too. Think of it as an investment. I've had mine for over 10 years, bought it at a factory outlet, for $160 CAD, and it's still in perfect condition (and I haven't treated it with kid gloves either, lol).
    You don't need to get that specific brand, though, there are plenty of others that are made of materials that do the same thing. You're looking for a water/wind proof and breathable cloth. Any ski jacket now is made of some sort of material like that, look for an info tag on them, it should explain what the material is made of, and what it does.
    As for the fleece, you can buy that at Walmart, B.U.M. Equipment makes them. Walmart might even carry the polypropylene or thermax long underwear as well, look in the sports clothing section. I wear the undershirts all the time, just an extra light layer, and it keeps the moisture away from your body. Thermax I find is better. What you don't want, next to your skin anyways, is anything that retains moisture, like cotton, wool, etc. Any clothing brand like that, should have information tags on them, just look around, and you should be able to find it. Do you have Mark's Work Wearhouse down there? Or a military base? The PX on bases always carry clothing like this. But I'm pretty sure you should be able to find everything, including jackets at Walmart. Even a fleece sweater under a jacket that you already have might help!!!
    I swear by fleece!! Jammies, blankets at home, it's so warm and cozy!! You can even buy fleece bedsheets, and you can find all of that at Walmart (I like shopping there, too, lol)
  • Kelly,

You are right about the military exchanges and posts carrying this type of clothing, however without a military ID card a person cannot purchase anything there.

There are normally Army surplus stores or pawn shops in the location of most bases and they tend to carry those items as well. The pricing is generally better and a person can get a good deal on all sorts of cold weather gear.

• I don't have any type of such stores around me or even any wheres around here that I have heard of, but thanks for all the ideas :)

I am going to look around on ebay. I have found great deals there before.

Thanks again :)
  • Look on-line and you will find them. Sam's carries lots of this stuff on-line and now would be the time to get it before it is all gone. Also check lands end if you get on the email list they send offers through it to save some money on as well. But a lot of these things you can find in the store and go on-line and find the samethings shipped direct to you. Another good place to look is overstocked.com as well.

I typically shop on-line for everything anymore. If you don't feel comfortable giving a credit card number on-line there is always the link that says "contact us" and will give you phone number and can order direct over the phone.
  • Thank you Tam for some more ideas/options for me to try. I truly appreciate it :)
  • Covers,covers and more covers. It's not cold here yet in tx but I'm picturing myself looking like my grandma wearing sweats all the time, LOL.
    I hate winter, wish I had a vacation home somewhere tropical for winter or anytime for that matter!
    Wouldn't that be nice?
  • I hear you Hollie ;)

Being as I am back to work now and must go outside covers are not a option for me then :(

Otherwise yes we have tons of blankets everywhere in each room lol

• Ok I have some GREAT deals going on ebay but I need a quick answer please. For the lining do I want to go with fleece of flannel??

The price trick I found is seeking out MENS coats lol yep they are MUCH cheaper then women's. I don't have 1 care of what it looks like lol I just want it to help my back :)

Soooo - fleece or flannel, which one would be best for me? Thanks :)
  • Now I am really confused - I thought my biggest knowledge challenge was fleece or flannel.....

*note I still would like to know about the fleece or flannel question I posted above this post too please.

This one here has me really confused about the fabric for the lining - can someone tell me if this is what I need? Sorry I just don't know anything about quality materials and such :B

Columbia uses Dermizax which is a smart fabric that responds to the micro-climate temperature created between the body and clothing. It is an Ultra thin membrane that delivers superior waterproof breathability that adjusts to the wearer’s exertion level. This thin technology results in supple fabric that is light without compromising durability, high level of stretch and recovery.

X-Static silver fiber lining, thermodynamic, anti-odor and anti-static
    Fully taped seam, micro fiber inner column, removable sleeves, internal mesh goggle pocket, custom logo embroidery, hardware and zipper pulls with Columbia, removable hood with zipper.Velcro Columbia wrist closures. Four outer pockets, one inner pocket and one mesh inner pocket.
  • that one is the type that should work good, has second lining. I have cloumbia that is wonderful like this.
  • I sent you the pm before reading your new posts here, funny that I mentioned Columbia, too!! (my gore-tex is a men's jacket as well, lol)
  • Thank you all so very much. I finally made a choice and am getting this coat. It is only for 40 to 20 F degrees but most of the time I won't be outside for long. if I need to be warmer I assume I can but a fleece pullover or something.

Here is the coat I bought.

I found this one and think it will do well for me and if I need it to be warmer ( this one is 20 to 40F ) I am sure I can find a fleece pullover or something - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370257113216&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Again THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! >:D<

• Hi Beth,

Style looks good especially since it's long enough to cover to the top of the thigh and your back should be nice & warm. On very cold days, you're right on the mark thinking a fleece top, look for micro fleece as it's a bit thinner and easier to layer under a jacket. If you're a Missy etra small or small and on the petite size, take a look at either a Boys Large or Extra Large, it works great size wise & kids stuff can be substantially less. I can do this on casual outerwear, boots & sneakers - got myself a pair of New Balances that are identical to the Adult size and they cost me about $20.00 less.
  • Invest in some long johns top and bottoms too, to wear under the fleece and coat. I have some and it's great for sleeping or lounging in too.
    Glad you found the right coat for you! Now you can be warm and less cold on you!
    Have a good day!
  • pfd I had to lol at your ideas for smaller people. Did you check out the ebay link? That coat is a 3X ;)

Nay being small is not one of my issues. I gained most of this weight after I was injured - blahhhhh

I am not a 3X but wanted it lose to put other clothing under and to have some room to move around in.

However I have learned to buy my sweat pants and many other items in the mens dept. Even these Gore-tex coats are cheaper for a man.

Thanks for that idea Hollie - will do :)
  • Worked as an "intern" at Gabriel bros, a discount chain in at least the east coast area around Pittsburgh, Pa. He worked for four weeks and most of that time was spent, repacking COLUMBIA jackets to send out to their stores.

If you can get out and about, check for a Gabes. I have bought really nice name brand high end coats there for as little as $20. just check their stuff carefully for flaws, defects. usually it is something small and hard or impossible to find, sometimes it is gaping holes and one arm or pant leg is longer than the other =))

• Sorry Beth, I didn't check out the link, roomier clothing makes very good sense so you can layer w/ ease. I'm working on getting the 20 lbs I gained in 2 1/2 months off, I'm getting there, but it ain't easy, just part of being a spiney. Take care
  • Wrambler - do you know I live very close to Pittsburgh lol. I will do this for sure in the future :)
  • They come in all size - there are some like thermawraps or the Ace brand ones - they are in the health & beauty section of Walmart; you peel off the liner and attach it to the outside of a layer of clothing (i.e. outside of underwear or shirt). I like the 4x5 size. I have found that the sporting goods stores & online sources actually last longer (6-8 hours) and are cheaper. I actually keep a few in my car door console, take them in my carry-on when I travel, at work, etc.BTW you do not want them to be in direct contact with your skin- you can burn yourself.
  • Thanks Optimist - I do use these and they are wonderful for the one main spot on my lower back that reacts very badly to the cold, but I still needed a good coat to help with the other parts of my body :)
  • I hope that one helps you stay warm. I'm a flannel girl myself and I wear layers including wool leggings. I saw an easy way to make new ones too. If you have an old sweater with long arms you cut off the sleeves and make them into leggings! Just add buttons to make it prettier. I saw them selling for $60. that look like that but you can get leggings fairly inexpensive at most stores now. Take care and stay warm. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Charry lol 60.00 well hel*s bells I have lots of old sweaters I can cut up and sew button on - hmmm that could be my new job lol ;)

But seriously I know what you mean and thanks I will look into these :)
  • :H Hi Beth,

I used to work outdoors driving a school bus here in the Hudson Valley area of New York. We get the same weather as you do. Driving after my fusion I had to get all new clothes for work because the cold hurt so much. We don't just drive but have to pre-check the entire bus in the dark cold and icy mornings. I am not well off by any means but my family all chipped in and got a catalog from L.L.Bean.

They sell everything from clothing to sheets. Their outerwear is temperature rated to ensure warmth at certain temperatures. I got a good coat (machine washable) a pair of jeans with flannel lining and elastic waistband, which was more comfy for my back. I know that they are quite expensive but it was well worth it. My coat is three yrs. old now and still looks new. They also come in a big selection of sizes and styles. My son is a snowboarder and he wears their ski jackets and pants.

Well, it was just a thought I thought I'd pass along and Christmas is coming so maybe you can make a list.

Be well and take care,

Donna :H
This discussion has been closed.