Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic T7-8

jgandeejjgandee Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a microdiscetomy on my T7-8 a few months ago. They put two screws and a stabilizing rod on the side I had problems. I had some improvements, but not all that much. I have picked up a few new things.

I just had an MRI done and prior to surgery you could see the disc pressing in the spinal cord. Now, I can still see disc in the cord and there is some indention in the sac and cord from the vertebra being pulled some by the stabilizing screws (similar to dynasys). Any one every had more compressions after a surgery? Thanks.

• I went to two Neuros who have been treating this. It looks like the microsurgery gets the side of the herniated disk, but not the herniation in the center of the spinal cord. I notice some immediate relief after the surgery, but my other problems like leg weakness are getting worse. It looks like they try this conservative approach first. Not a bad idea because I had a quick recovery, but it did not get the job finished. Now they are looking at a thoracotomy to go in and get the rest. They want to wait a few months to monitor for any improvements. I have also read about VATs, the minimally invasive surgery. Cleveland Clinic is now reviewing this. Not sure if I can get something less intrusive than a full thoracotomy.
  • Hello Jgandee,

Looking at your signature it seems that your whole spine is effected. I know that sometimes it is tempting to go with the option that seems least invasive, but on the long run it may not be the best solution. My only advise is that before you agree to any other surgical intervention do a thorough research regarding your options and about the background of the surgeons you consider. If at all, get a second or even a third opinion. Take your time and consider all alternatives before you agree to undergo another surgery. I am by no means against surgery, per say, to me a 3_level lumbar fusion brought on the much desired relief from my symptoms, all I am saying that do your homework in order to feel comfortable with whatever treatment you select.

Wishing you a pain-free back,

• Thanks for the good advise. I am getting this further evaluated over the next 2 months. I plan to look at two options at this point. My Dr is also going to do a mylegram in about a month to do further detailed xrays of the spine. This will also help in deciding of best approach. Thanks again.