Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone had cervical neck surgery for osteoarthritis with success??

rdtrrdt Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
3 years of neck pain, bulging disc, osteophytes and pain and stiffness in my neck AND SOME WEAKNESS (PERCEIVED ANYWAY) IN MY ARM.. I have tried everything.. injections, physical therapy, ice, heat..my doc keep saying don't get surgery,it won't help with the pain that is also in my back but my life is so compromised. I have read on the internet that cervical disc fusion doesn't work in osteoarthritis and often you still have pain.. does anyone have a success story with cervical fusion for osteoarthritis? looking at c5-6 fusion, maybe c6-7 also..

thanks in advance for responding

• HI RDT,
    Hi and welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will fine some very useful information here. Besides the forums are some great articles that are doctor written and peer reviewed.

I am not sure as I don't have OA. However I would think if the disc aren't herniated they wouldn't take them out? If it is rather from bone spurs they can remove the spurs, and leave the disc in. What does the surgeon propose to do? Typically the main goal of fusion surgery is to release the nerves that are being compressed and or to fix a stablization issue. Do you have other pain besides the pain in neck or any other issues?

You may also want to post in the OA forums under conditions or possibly the neck pain forum.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health.
  • I recently asked a question about arthritis on another forum. Pre-op. I had considerable arthritis in my lumbar area and fully expected that to still be there post-op. But I have been told that arthritis can only be in moving joints and once you're fused, and nothing can move, you can no longer have arthritis. So for me there was a double benefit from fusion surgery. I no longer have any pain at all.

Assuming that what I was told is correct, you should definitely have relief from osteoarthritis once you're fused.
  • I'm not so certain as to the why, but my uncle who has terrible arthritis in his neck, was told no surgery, just continue with PT. The neurosurgeon did not want to touch his neck.

Sorry, wish I could be of more help.