Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post -Op List

Sweetrobs2SSweetrobs2 Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have the list of items needed post-op but I am having difficulty finding some of them. I am wondering if some of the items are more for someone with Lumbar issues and not Cervical. The bed table tray seems to be hard to come by. I have checked all local Walgreens and CVS, Target, Kmart, Walmart, and can't find one. Do you think I will need it? If it is recommended for cervical surgery I will buy it online. Also, where do you find a reclining pillow? I think I will need it because I moved over the summer and had to get rid of my recliners! So I probably will be spending a lot of time on a sofa sleeper with a good mattress, but I think I will need to be reclined to sleep. Any suggestions will be extremely appreciated! Surgery scheduled on Oct 7th.

I have purchased pajamas, facial and body wipes, I have slip on shoes and slippers, a grabber, a travel bag packed for the hospital, and just about everything on the list. I know it's over a week before, but it helps with the anxiety!

Thank you to all of you for your help. I look forward to your continuing support especially after the surgery!

• Hi Robin,

I found a grapper came in handy for picking up small things on the floor, I slept on a recliner for about four weeks it was the only way I could get comfortable to sleep. I ate lots of jell-o, pudding and milk shakes. I also got some x-large tee shirts and button pj's.
    Good luck with your recovery.

• If you can't do the recliner thing you can make your bed somewhat like one by proping the pillows in a fashion. Also you may want to check into a pillow wedge. I ended up sleeping on the couch just worked out better with the side arms and propping myself up. Another thing you will more than likely only be able to lift a gallon of milk, which honestly was a bit difficult for myself at first. So had everything in smaller containers. Since I lived alone I kept a cooler next to the couch as well, with all my fav's in it, just so if I didn't feel like getting up was easy for me. I also had used my own bone so getting up was a bit difficult. Also had the phone setup, paper, pens, magazines, books you name it. Everything was setup when I left so when I came home just had to plop down and someone put the ice in. Something else that may help is don't have things on the floor where you need to reach them. You are not to bend over just squat at the knee's. So you may look around your house and see if that could affect you in anyway. Something else you may consider just in case your a little wobble at first is getting a shower chair. I just brought in one of the resin chairs from outside did the trick. Make sure you have throat losen's and chloraseptic. I took the throat lozens to the hospital with me.

Don't worry you can never be to prepared. Then when it is over with you can rest and relax and feel comfortable.
  • Instead of a bed tray I found a folding, adjustable table at Walgreen's or Walmart - it is called a TableMate. Worked great for my laptop, my stuff, eating, etc. I think it was about $25.
  • Hi there.

Here's a link to some adjustable tables on Amazon. I have one that rolls, adjustable height, and tilts. I still use it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top/182-3625848-8563415?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=adjustable laptop table&index=blended&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0PFHV8297P8FH0F54R5Q&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B001PNW3VA

Also, tamtam is right about the shower stool - my hubby had to give me my showers and wash my hair for the first few weeks so sitting in the shower was important for me.

Bendy straws are good too, especially if you have to wear a hard collar.

Oh, and take home the little tub from the hospital and use it when you brush your teeth. You can put it under your chin to spit in since you shouldn't bend.

• Hi Cath,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't going to use a shower stool, but maybe I will now that you mentioned it. I just saw one at a rummage sale and didn't buy it! Oh well...
    I will check out the link to the table, and now I am trying to decide on a wedge pillow. Not sure what height will be comfortable for me. The straws I have already and I plan to take home the little tub from the hospital.

I appreciate your help and any further suggestions you may think of. I am following the Post-Op list.

Your friend,
  • Hi All,
    I finally found a wedge pillow but my husband thinks it is too low. It is 7" which would put me at a 16 degree lift. I have know idea what will be oomfortable with a hard collar. 10" is 22 degrees and a 12" is 26 degree angle. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help!