Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF scheduled Sleeping Positions side or back

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have my ACDF C4 to C6 scheduled for October 16th. I was wondering when I will be able to sleep on my side again? I am going to move my tv so that I can see it when I lay on my back and I wont have to turn my head. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Tammie

• Tammy,

From my experience I found sleeping on back much easier, in almost a sitting position. Many find sleeping is easier in a recliner. However if you don't have one you can use pillows in your bed to make that position work out. Check out a wedge pillow.
  • I found that sleeping on my side was better for me (other than the first night when i was unable to roll over). Found sleeping on back with neck brace awkward.

I also preferred watching tv on my side from either bed or couch. propped several down pillows up to get comfortable.
  • Hi,

I spent my first night on my back, which I hate by morning I asked a nurse if I could lay on my side, she said sure. I am a side sleeper and wished I had asked during the first night so I didn't have to suffer as I did. I also found sleeping in my recliner for the first four weeks helped also. I tried a wedge pillow in my bed but it was way too hard and I went back to the recliner.

Good luck and recover soon.

• I took every pillow on the bed, my husband now hates me, and piled them under me. I never liked alot of pillows under me but this is the only way I can sleep. I am a side sleeper anyways and placing the pillows all around me and under me for extra loft seems to help. I still don't sleep alot yet.

Good luck. Its simply what works best for ya.
  • I guess it depends if you have a hard collar. I could not get on my side in the hard collar it was just impossible. But as soon as the collar was off I was back to sleeping on my side.