Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ultram and back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been experiencing postoperative pain since getting a back injury operation in late 08. I initially just take regular painkillers but since they’ve become worse, I’m thinking of using a stronger med like ultram. My friend who has fibromyalgia uses it and so far, according to him, it’s worked wonders for the pain. Before I go ahead and ask my doc about it, do you know of any bad effects this med might cause my body if I go ahead and try it out? Thanks for the help!

• Welcome to spinehealth! You've landed in a great spot to meet new people who are experiencing back pain and understand what you are going through.

I take ultram (tramadol) and have been doing so for about a year. This is one of the easier medications on a person's body, and while it is not considered a narcotic or opiod, it is a synthetic medication that will give the same relief as a mild narcotic. I have no ill effects from taking it.

The following link discusses some of the possible side effects, but keep in mind that it is best to discuss this with your physician.

Again, welcome to spine-health.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Good choice.
    Ultram or tramadol are indeed pain relievers and help a lot. Go ahead and ask your doctor for more info and for a prescription if he approves of it. Regarding the bad effects, I know that withdrawal is one. That’s if you abuse the use of the drug. Ask your doc for more info on that. You take care!
This discussion has been closed.