Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cauda equina syndrome question for the girls

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi, I had decompression surgery mid May for a large central disc bulge at L5 S1 ( surgeon said there was a lot of compression so went in both sides to try to avoid the nerves).Since the beginning of August I hhave been in hospital 5 times due to the severity of my pain through the night (I feel like I've been run over by a bus!).I get stabbing pain in my front right thigh and horrible achey pain in my center back, behind and below my scar.I have various areas of leg pain, though not constant, but I feel it in my muscles and the soles of my feet.This is all in my right leg.
My question is though, can anyone tell me about vaginal numbness.Sorry about the question, but does it extend all the way inside or just the outside and is it gradual and it it immediate and very obvious? I ask because I dont feel much at all (only very deep- sorry) when I am with my husband and I dont know if this is a psyc thing, a childbirth thing or a back issue.I see my surgeon at the end of Oct, but I dont want to have him doing anything 'unnesessary' to me! lol
By the way I'm on oxycontin, oxynorm, gabapentin,amytriptilene and prozac and the pain is STILL excruciating by 3am!

Thank you in advance

• The lack of feeling in that area could be issues with the nerves. Have you talked to your surgeon regarding this? What have they done for you at the hospital? I've had no interest or sensation in that area for over 6months now. I'm not sure if it's nerves, pain, meds, or a combo of it all. I do recommend you talk to your surgeon right away or consult another neurosurgeon. You situation sounds much worse than what I am experiencing. How long ago was your surgery?
  • It sounds like possible saddle anesthesia, as they call it. I would contact your surgeon today.

Best wishes to you,

• Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your condition.
    I’m going through the same thing, except I’m a man with numbness in my penis, scrotum and anus; As well as my lower back and the back of my left leg. Plus pain in left leg and foot.
    I can share your frustration. I have been suffering from this condition since I had surgery late January. I discovered the numbness 2 days after surgery and because of a CSF leak 6 days after surgery the surgeon had to open me up again to fix that and see if there was any nerve damage. He and a Neurosurgeon did not notice any damage and chalked it up to swelling.
    It has never gone away and in my case it runs deep because I have problems with my bladder, bowels and the ability to have an orgasm. So the only thing I can suggest is do a little investigating on your own. I don’t mean to be out of place, but you’re the most qualified to find out. With females, the sensation you experience while having intercourse is only in a couple of inches deep anyways. If you cannot experience an orgasm than there is definitely an issue and you should let you doctor know.
    I saw my surgeon for my final check up last week and he told me that I will most likely suffer from this condition for the rest of my life. Not the news I wanted to here! But I was given the odds of success for surgery and I went for it: 60% better, 30% the same and 10% worse off. I have fallen in the latter…
    I don’t sleep much because of it as well, an average of 3 hours a night in the last 2 weeks. I’m on Morphine and Hydromorphone HCL for the pain and have tried many other meds to help with little success.
    Sorry, I’m babbling on… I would speak to your doctor or get a second opinion on your condition.
    Remember, you’re not alone… We are here for you!

All the best,