Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Never going Grocery Shopping Again!!

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
Today I had to do a little shopping. It's rare that I ever do any kind of shpping. Tammy, the girl that cleans for me one day a week also shops for me but I HAD to get flea drops for my little dog at the Vets, also pick up dog food and few a other things at Wal-Mart.
The last time I did any shopping my sis pushed me in a wheel chair.
Today I did not use a wheel chair...I WALKED and I am in absolute agony!!
I also picked up a gallon of milk for my 90 year old neighbor something I should not try to carry....now my shoulder is throbbing!!I also had to carry my few groceries into my house. Not an easy task while hobbling with a cain.

For the very first time I am really down. Am I ever going to be able to do these things again without being pushed in a wheel chair??
Will I ever get this pounding, throbbing pain in my feet under control??
I know i will always live with pain but....
Has anyone here been able to get savage foot pain under control so that you can at least do your own grocery shopping??
Thanks ...
Patsy W

• I feel your pain hon - I am in serious pain when I go shopping so I leave the large shopping to my hubby.

Does your shopping centre offer home delivery?? Maybe you can do your shopping online until you start to feel better?

Take care. x
  • I am fortunate to have hubby and two teenage sons who are very interested in eating so will help with the groceries!

But Walmart-if it is just a trip to the pharmacy I am OK, but I have to use a scooter while hubby/sons push a cart for groceries because that place is huge! If they placed benches around to sit for a few minutes, I think I'd be OK, but by the time you walk all the way back to the milk and back and THEN wait in line, I can't take it. If I do it without a scooter I'm on the couch/bed for the rest of the night at least. I try to just think of it as a seat to rest on because I hate using the electric scooters, but it does allow me to finish the trip without leaving halfway through without my list complete.
  • I'm just gonna ask.. What were you thinking?
    Omg, you should have got someone to do it for you!
    You are in no shape for that!
    K, through gripin now.
    You need to take it easy and take care of yourself.
    I hope you didn't hurt yourself.
    Don't do that!
  • i know better than to do that. ~X( my husband is an expert grocery shopper, knowing how to use coupons and shops at different stores to get the best bargains he can. i could never get it done. Leave it to others!!! Jenny :)
  • Pat - >:D<

I sat many of times and cried over my shopping experiences and the physical pain they created for me.

It was such a thrill for me to go shopping alone and be "ok" with it. I look like the hunchback as I all but lay over the seat part of my cart to "carry" me, but I can do it on my own more and more often now.

I ask this only to make you consider it in the future - why did you not use a elec chair? Also our Walmarts have signs all over that says if you need some one to help you shop their workers will be happy to go with you.

Bottom line is your upset and in pain and I am sure very frustrated. For all of those reasons I will offer prayers for you. Please know I care :)

• Hi, I just wanted to ask if you ever tried a scooter, one of those that you can borrow at the larger stores. When I had my last bad flare up and was unable to walk for couple of months, I felt more independent than in a long time driving the scooter and being able to shop a little. I know people think that they are used mostly by elderly people, and I thought so too, until I took the big step to use one. But it did feel much better than sitting in a wheel chair, having somebody push me, or trying to maneuver the chair myself and getting all exhausted. The scooter is motorized and it has a basket that can carry all your purchases. It's not very fast, but hey, who's in a hurry,lol.

Just thought I'd share, since getting out and about helped me with my depression and gave me back some of my independence.

Hugs to you all!
  • At the Walmart here, they're very helpful about getting the scooters to the shoppers. If you call ahead and tell them you're coming and what you drive, they'll watch for you to pull up to the door and then associate will drive the scooter out to where you parked, so you don't even have to walk across the parking lot.
  • I feel so bad for you. I know how you must have been anxious to get out and see something different. To have so much pain, just makes you feel like not doing it again. But dont stop, just get the motorised scooter thing. And do as I do, ask for help. I am only 49 but live in a small town, and all the check outs at the local grocery store go out of their way to help me. Its hard for me, cause I dont want to bring attention to myself, but I use the scooters and stuff or I cant go shopping. Take care honey, and know I am thinking of you. Hoping tommorow is better for you. Love, Robin
  • I guess I'm behind the power curve here, I thought that your pain had finally eased and you were going to PT to make your legs stronger and things were cruising along nice. What happened?

I remember you mentioning that you received "Meals on Wheels" at your home, did that stop? Can you get them to start back up if so?

There are definitely ways to work around chronic pain and minimize the possibility of increasing the intensity level. A little homework and a few phone calls should have you up and running in your area.

• i feel for you ..its hard enough just trying to get around without having to go shopping too .i know on the odd occasion i go to ADSA{walmart} with kath .i manage a bout half way around the store then its back to the car for a rest {and a sly smoke } while she finishes off ..i applaud you for trying to go it alone anyway ..now its just pain killers and rest you will soon be back to your crappy self!!
    take care pat
  • You are certainly NOT the only one. Sometimes I'm lucky if I can make it thru one store at the mall. I've had to go outside and sit on the curb because there were no benches. That gets some funny looks :D I don't know how many times I drive 70 miles to shop for a specific special item of clothing and gift, then given up and come home without it because I hurt so bad. =D> for getting your neighbor her milk, I'm sure she appreciated it. I hope you feel better tomorrow.Each day I just thank the Lord for what I can do that day, even if it's just to enjoy the sun, or leaves turning color, etc. Then there are days like you had, and I can't help but envy the people running around, going about their lives, with no idea what it is to be in pain always.

Gentle hugs & prayers.
  • This very small town I live in has no deliveries and I just needed a few things. But the things I needed was all the way in back of the store.
    Will know better next time.
    Thanks for the comment and tip.
  • An electric scooter will be what I use IF I ever go shopping again. I am going to forgo all shopping until this pain spike settles down.
    It's morning and things are still bad. Sheesh...
    I live alone so have no one to depend on excert myself and wonderful neighbors.
    BTW....the fles drops are not working yet!! Bummer huh?
    Thanks luv
  • I was thinking of my darling little dog that I adore.
    She needed flea drops and food.
    Could not wait until Wed. until Tammy gets here.
    So far the drops are not working!! Drat.
    It's morning and things are still rough. Sheesh...
  • I can only do the shopping with my son pushing the cart. He is 17 and has pushed my cart for years. When I tried a scooter it caused more pain for me because of the reaching and getting off of it to reach things. The last time I went shopping by myslf I herniated a 3rd disc in my neck turning a 1/2 full cart. I'll never do that again. I know how hard it is to not be able to do the every day things in life. Maybe you could pay a neighbor's kid to get your groceries? It was so kind of you to be thinking of your nieghbor, you have a big heart! Hang in there Pat, you can lean on us!
    Faith M
  • I sure do feel your frustration about shopping. The only way I can make it in a walmart is to use my cane and go very very slow and have my husband with me. The next time I go, I have bought a rollator walker and will try that. My hubby and son get so mad at me that I won't try one of the electric scooters there. I just can't myself to use it yet.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Best to you,

• I have no one to leave it to Jenny.
    Well except for Tammy and she will not be here until Wenesday. I know I am going to be scolded when she does come. LOL She is a darling girl who cleans and shops for me.
    She is very good and I trust her 100%. I am so lucky to have her.
    Thanks Jenny
  • How are you this mornin, girl?
    Next time scramble eggs and alittle meat is what I gave my little dog I had when I ran outta food for him, until I could get dogfood.
    I'm feeling for you and I know you hurt and felt like you accomplished something at the same time.
    I have to drive 70 miles to the surgeon today, FUN, with these sore muscles.
    My mom is going with me today to help me drive, thank goodness.
    I'll find out today when I'm having surgery. Hope it's a few weeks away so I get over this bout of pain.
    Take care girlfriend! Your in my prayers, along with everyone here in this crappy pain crap!
    Luv ya and big easy hugs!!
  • Yes it is very flusterating when just a few weeks ago I was able to do these things. Then I had a nasty fall and now things are worse than ever. Much worse. Pain has flaired up beyond belief.
    Thanks Beth
    Patsy W :H
  • There is NO way I can manage Walmart without one, trust me I have tried several times.. ended up leaving and swearing I would NEVER go back there again. Of course I have, but I have to use a scooter, there are times when I have gone there and there would be no scooter, or have one being charged and the nasty ladies at the front won't let me have it, but the next person coming in gets it no problems.

I know I don't look like I have anything wrong with me, but geeezzzzz what do I need to do,,, start showing them my scars? Would be glad to but don't think the public would really want to see all that lol.

Shopping is the worst thing for anyone with pain, but it is something most of can't avoid. I would gladly send my hubby and kids to do this alone, but if I want real food and not all microwave or junk I have to go with them.

I am at the point where I don't do that much of the cooking now, between Tommy and the kids they do WAY more than I do, but I love to cook, so on my not as bad days I try to cook something for them. End up in more pain, but heck I have given up so darn much because of living in pain, and I am gonna hurt no matter what, may as well do something useful and something I like doing anyway.

I buy things in large quanity so I don't have to go as often. I also have someone there to do the reaching and lifting. But still just having to go wears me out. Use the scooters, that's what they are there for....

• The scooter sounds GREAT. I have been thinking about one. I know a lady that goes all overtown on one. Cool.. I even saw a gent go by my house on one and I live in the mountains!! I live half way up a mountain except here we call them hills but to non locals it's a mountain.LOL
    Thse things are really cool. Brovo to you =D>
    Thanks for sharing
    Patsy W
  • Yes...this Wal-Mart has the electric carts but the one that they had in service yesterday was in use. I use to work at this one in better times(I know that's why I am in such bad shape today too, coz of the heavy lifting I had to do)
    They no longer have the stockmen that use to help with groceries and such. Finding help at this Wal-Mart is a thing of the past.
    Thanks for the comment dear
  • =(( Only for our beloved pets would we risk causing ourselves more pain.

My Super Wal-Mart is just a few blocks from my house and because I can hardly walk with my foot, I've been using the electric carts. The earlier you go in the day, the more likely you are to get a charged cart with no problem.

Sorry, after all that effort, the darn flea drops aren't working for Pepper.

Take care sweetie and hope you get to feeling better soon.

• Thanks for the lovely comment and kind thoughts dear.
    Yes..we all need help and asking is so very hard to do isn't it.
    Thanks for the support Robin. I know you are always here for me.
  • What happened was a nasty fall!! And now things are worse than ever. :''(
    My savage foot and leg pain is worse than it ever was. I injured my right shoulder. My Doctor said I tore my rotar cuff. But how can he actually know just from moving my arm around a bit? No ex-rays or scans!! Now the pain from that goes all the way up my neck and into my jaw and the back of my head. I do have a fusion in my C spine.
    He ordered PT for it and the only thing they do that helps is to ice it.
    I am still going to PT for my legs and I do think it is helping to gain strength and it does help with the pain a few hours.
    My back pain is now a constant thing and my right knee screams at me with every step. This pain spike from that fall has been a very bad one "C".
    Yes, I am still getting my Meals on Wheels but yesterday I had my heart set on some Butter Not Squash Soup that I make. It is sooooo creamy and lushes. The perfect thing for a chilly fall day. But that will have to wait for another chilly day. The groceries I bought still sets on my kitchen counter, the ones that do not go in the freezer or frige. Dinner came from a can!! Yuck
    I have PT today and perhaps it will ease the pain long enough for me to make that wonderful soup.
    Everyone is invited to have a bowl.
    Thanks for the comment and giving me a chance to explain what is going on with me right now.
  • How are you doing today? I know things have been bad for you too.
    That trip will have been worth the pain and agony IF those flea drops I got from her Vet helps!! This morning my poor baby is still digging and scratching. But she knows I am trying to help her.
    I think today will be a "crappy" one. And that is good isn't it?LOL
    Thanks Tony :H
  • You know what.....It really does help to know you aren't alone!!
    Even when my sis pushed me around the store in the wheel chair and I said I wanted to "look" at something. She pushed me past the item so she could see it. I never got to see the item at all!! =))
    I too, love every day but yesterday was a downer. But I will bounce back soon. PT will help today.
    And Yippeeeeeeee the leaves will soon be turning in my part of the country. I LOVE it Maggie.
    Thanks for reminding me.
  • You know exactly why I went don't you. Yes, it was for my baby, Pepper. No those expensive drops are not working yet...darn it!!
    But she knows I am trying to help her. Last night she did me the honor of getting up in bed with me, something she NEVER does. Guess she wanted to share her fleas with me.LOL
    Thanks Judy...I am off to PT. PM you later.
  • I will not fuss at you - I know how it is when you need to do something and there is no one around to do for you, or you just want to get out the cabin and let the cabin fever subside.

I do my mom's shopping for her. Shopping is the WORST! That shuffling type of walking necessary for shopping is the worstest ever! But I do it anyways. knowing I will suffer later. I just take my meds before going, have my boys unload for me.

As for the scooters - BW had a great idea about calling ahead. My mom goes with when we do the groceries every saturday, and she uses the electric chair. I need way too many groceries to use that little basket! I've got 3 hungry boys and a husband at home, so that little basket is only big enough for toiletries!

The personal scooters are great too. Only thing is - how do you transport them from place to place? Do they come with a rack for your vehicle or is that an "option" and cost extra? I would definitely look into it if I were you. You never know! You might even find yourself at the Grand Canyon (like those little ladies in the commercials!)

Another thing - do you know any teenagers who would be willing to go with you (for a small price) to assist? I tell you - I keep telling my 17 year old that would be a good job for him. He likes assisting those who need it (oddly he wants to be a musician when he grows up - has his sights set on Julliard; he wants to teach and perform in orchestras or compose scores for movies on the side - he's actually pretty darn good. He's composed several pieces already...).

Well, just my thoughts and suggestions. I hope you feel best soon.

And, uh - next time - be SURE to use the scoot scoot! Call ahead to be sure they even have them at what ever store you are going to - and if that particular store does not (say if for instance you are going get vet supplies) ask if they can get it for you (whatever supplies you need) and have it at the register when you arrive. If that is feasable.

Take care!
  • It's wonderful that you have help. Normally I do not do my shopping but just wanted to pick up a few things for my pet and ingredients for a lovely soup I wanted to make on a chilly day.
    Us chronic pain people really have to make adjustments in our lives don't we.
    Thanks for the comment faith
    patsy :H
This discussion has been closed.