Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

October 6 is my day

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

My name is Chris. I'm 67 and I am scheduled for posterior lumbar fusion surgery on October 6. As most of the newbies to back surgery, I am very anxious. It helps that I have a very experienced surgeon in whom I have great confidence.

Maybe my concerns about this operation are out of priority order but I worry most about getting through recovery successfully.

My recovery will be very rough on my wife and dog just as it will be with me. There's a ton to do every day on our 5 acres so I have been madly trying to get 90 days work done in 30. I hope I haven't damaged my back any more than it already is damaged but there's no affordable alternative other than to get it done! Kathy, my wife, will really be hard pressed to keep up with everything while having to take care of me. Max, my dog, will be wondering why I am not outside giving him his twice daily dose of ball playing, exercise, and roughhousing.

I am looking forward to hopefully being able to walk without a limp, to not to have my right leg go "dead" on me two or three times a day, and not to have constant pain in my left leg.

This forum and website is a very helpful and informative resource. There's nothing like having all this support and information to shed light on the unknown.

To all the others who will be on operating tables on the 6th, I wish you (and me) the best of outcomes! And to everyone else, also, who will be undergoing surgery this year.

My Diagnosis in April, 2006*:
1. Degenerative spondylitic changes with grade I anterolisthesis of L4 over L5 vertebra. Sever bilateral facet joint arthritis at L4-5 and L5-S1 with mild changes at L3-L4. Possibility of chronic bilateral L4 pars interarticularis defects cannot be excluded based on this study.
2. Broad based spur disc complex at L4-5, which along with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy, is causing extremely severe central canal stenosis. Severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
3. Degenerative posterior annular tear with posterior disc bulge at L5-S1 without canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

*It's a long ugly story but my wife and I had to change all doctors and medical providers late in 2006 due to a change in my now greatly diminished retiree medical insurance coverage. It took about two years to go up the treatment chain with my current provider to get to surgery.

• Hi Chris

Welcome to our forum. Whilst I don't have a ton of work to do on 5 acres, I've been doing heaps of work in my garden knowing that I won't be able to get stuck into it for quite a while post-op. Have you had a look at the sticky on Post-Op Must Haves at the top of the page?

What you said about playing with Max reminded me that I haven't played ball with Molly, one of my Labradors, today, so I'd better go outside and do that very soon.

I very much hope that your surgery goes well on the 6th - you've got a very experienced surgeon, so put all your trust in him.

When you're able to, please let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008