Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months post back surgery and experiencing bad pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
On July 2nd, 2009, I had a spinal fusion from L4-S1. Unfortunately, post surgery I found I was allergic to most pain drugs. I was put on steroids for 16 days and felt great. Following the surgery I went to rehab and was released after 6 days. I was doing extremely well. When I was weaned off the steroids I could not tolerate the pain and was given one more week. 3 days after I finished my steroids I fell asleep on my bed. When I woke I could not move and had to call the police for assistance. I am 48 years old. I was put on celebrex for the past 2 months with vicadin (up to 5 a day) and valium. For the past 6 weeks I have been sleeping on a chair because the bed is to painful. My doctor says this is very rare. Most patients do not have this type of pain 3 months post surgery. My CAT scan looks great. All rods and screws are in place. I did have a lot of nerve damage. He is now recommending pain management. This is a results of a car accident. Last year I underwent a disectomy at C5-C7 (which was a much easier recovery.) I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of pain post surgery. I do great walking but lying down is just unbearably painful. I would appreciate any comments regarding my condition. I am extremely overwhelmed.

• :H Welcome to the forum. You'll get much needed support and understanding from our group here. I am sorry that you are experiencing such severe pain and although I haven't had surgery, one of the other members will respond with their experiences post surgery. There are many members who get the best pain relief in a recliner versus a bed.

Nerve damage is the bain of everyone's issues here -- it takes a long time for the nerves to heal. What about lyrica or neurotin for nerve pain?

Here's hoping you get some pain relief real soon.

Take care,

• I had the same surgery and after 3 months I still had alot of pain. But I was able to walk without a cane. It took a full year to completely recover. I also have nerve damage and the nerves take a long time to heal. I'm so sorry that laying down is so painful. I did a lot of laying on my side with my back against the back of the couch for support. And I used ice on my back often, especially during car rides. I hope you heal and begin to feel better over time.
    Faith M
  • i have not had a fusion {and carnt do for reasons} but i have has 2 major operations the first one i recovered very well in about 6 weeks most of the pain was gone .but the second one was a complete different story its been 2 years post operation and i am still in sever pain .i have been told that i have extensive facet joint hypertrophy and DDD and steno sis and the remaining tissue is very unstable and unhealthy my only option is ADR {artificial disc replacement } i don't think that i will be having it ..like yourself i spend most of my time sleeping in my recliner so i know how you feel ..you say that you cant tolerated pain killers have you tried Oxycontin ? there are a lot of us on here on it and after the initial few weeks its seems to be well tolerated and its a very good pain killer .you could also try a high end TENS see www.acticare.com
This discussion has been closed.