Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wondering about time in between meds

linnryllinnry Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Medications
hi all, I am a cervie and am having a surgery in the next month or two. Have ruptured and herniated disks and stenosis, bone spurs and other sights of narrowing along the spinal cord. Anyway, the only pain medication I have been on for this is Lortab 10. now at night i sometimes take ultram 50. On my rx bottle is says take as needed 3 x a day. But I am finding that i lean more toward taking 4 a day than 3, probably HALF the time i take 3 a day and the other half the time i take 4 a day. Is this something of significance? I got a refill the other day and my doc didn't act as if there was a problem with it at all. Also, should I maybe be taking something stronger or not? The lortab handles the pain for 3 to 3 and a half hours then I'm back to square one :( thanks everyone :)

• Really - speaking for myself, I have to evaluate pain on a daily basis. I have both short acting and long acting meds. Long last 10 to 14 hours, depending on my activity. Short acting last for 3 to5 hours.

The reason I mention these is that around the clock pain, should be controlled with around the clock meds and with breakthrough meds to control a pain mountain peak, which is my way of describing the experience.

Your Dr should be the one answering these questions. He wrote the script in a certain way. Also - the pharmacist can tell you any further info you may need to address these questions
  • You should be sticking to the medication schedule given to you by your doctor. If you are finding that the medications are not covering the level of pain that you have, then you should first, discuss that with your PM doctor and find out what he would like you to do in regard to that . No one should be taking more of any medication without the consent of their doctors.
    It is doing this self medicating that gets you in serious trouble down the road. Two is not better than one, unless your prescribing doctor tells you so.