Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weather Changes are Agony!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
OMG, I was bawling like a baby getting ready for work this morning. I hurt SO bad. We are supposed to have snow by Thursday. Going from 81 to 45ish by tomorrow and I can feel it! My new arm thing is back fullbore and I can't even lift a bottle of pepsi to take a drink. I'd imagine I will be needing an extra dose of pain meds to get thru this day.
I went out to feed before work and my poor horse can hardly move either. I feel so guilty I haven't taken him to the vet to figure out exactly what is wrong with his front feet. Maybe I just don't want to know. I have to get it done tho. I hobbled into the barn and gave him some pain meds and my husband says he's better now but I gotta try and get him in after work I guess.. UGH...

• I really have a hard time, also, when it goes from warm to cold...esp cold and damp!

Yup, the pain goes thru the roof, and I feel older than a 90 year old! :<

Hoping Blitz is OK. I know how much he means to you! Keep me posted on the dear boy, 'K?

• Sorry to hear your roughin it today!
    This crappy pain crap is crap!
    Your horse is dealing with it,too, to top it off!
    Hope you get to feelin better and the horse,too.
    Hopefully you'll get to vet soon.
    How old is he?
  • Many, many posts about weather and pain. We become barometers of the worst kind.
    Right now we in the east US are getting flipflops of sun-rain-sun, not only by the day, but sometimes by the hour. It even caused a pain flare when the weather changed from rain to sun yesterday! Then again as rain moved back in. I'm used to the rain is coming pain, but usually don't have much issue with the other way around. Not yesterday. yuck, sun.
    To beat it all wouldn't you know the sun came out from like 1-3pm, but quitting time it was cloudy overcast and sprinkling again.

The horse is probably feeling it to, I know my avatar is. He barely moves anymore, we have to get him back to the vet soon to move him onto the next level of pain meds :( one hip is worn out and the other knee cap is worn completely through. He is 11.5 and the vet says there is nothing much we can do but pain control...

• Doesn't matter if it's good to bad, or bad to good. I think the low pressure has something to do with it. I know the rainy season is the worst!
    Sorry about your pup, it sucks when they get old. Blitz is 17, my last horse lived to be 28 and is buried in my pasture. I suspect that Blitz has something major going on and I guess I don't want to think of the reality of what that might mean.
    I know he cannot live on pain meds forever, it is different for horses than people. It isn't fair to him either..
    K I have to go sit out in my truck and bawl for a while now...
  • You bawl away. Just about everyone has a pet that is as much our family as kids.
    Wrambler and mouse, they know and feel your love. I know all bout losing a pet.
    I had to put my german shephard (12yrs) down, cuz one day she layer down and couldn't get up.
    It would so suck to be a pet hurtin and not able to say what hurts.
    Luv 'em as much as I know you do!
    Hugs to you and y'alls pets!
  • Yes....we all feel the weather.
    I would like to think the weather is making me hurt so bad.....but no...I just over did it yesterday.
    I just had to go get flea drops for my darling pet...Pepper.
    So far it isn't working and it breaks my heart. It was not drops from Wal-Mart, they do not work. It was from her Vet.
    I hope to see some improvement tomorrow.
    Yes..we alll know what you mean by weather changes.
    Patsy W :H
  • The weather is freakin crazy here in Tx. Be glad you don't live here.
    All week I have to deal with 50's in the mornins and back to 80's in the afternoons.
    I hate it.it'S few years ago I remember it snowing on Easter and cold, then back up to the 90's the next day. Go figure!

• Im dieing from the low pressure that rolled into Utah last nite. I was awake most of the nite dealing with the pain it produces too , Mouse.

Where are you in Utah ? Im in Cedar City.

• I am in Ogden, so a ways away. I have been thru cedar city many times on our way to go camping! we spend a lot of time in the 3 corners area in the spring, very nice (and warm)!! This rain today is hideous, and snow tonight and freezing - unbelievable already!!!

• I was born in Salt Lake so I know exactly what you are dealing with.
    We are expecting rain and the low that precedes it just kills me with all the various metal I have implanted.
    Oh well , keep your mind right , this is what weve got for a life such as it may be.

• We've been in the low 40s to mid 50s so far this week. A front is coming in. I can feel it. I can predict the weather much better than our local weathermen.

If the barameter goes down, my pain levels go up. The lower the BP, the higher my pain. I have been at a 10 simply due to the weather.

I've had 3 cervical surgeries in the last 3 years, I have had Fibromyalgia for over 25 years, IBS, Migraines, and osteoarthris in spine and other areas of my body. In constact, sometimes agonizing pain. My PCP mamages my pain management but also told me that he would NEVER increase the dose. Well I've grown tolerant to the 40mg OxyContin 2/day and oxycodone 7.5/325 up to 3 per day for break thru pain. I just don't want to get out of bed anymore. I lost my job in July, the day I was coming back from medical leave from my latest surgery. Nice, huh?
    I really don't know what to do. I'm also on 2 antidepressants and sleep medications so I can at least get some sleep. I take Lipitor for high cholesterol, but I know that it doesn't affect me with myscle aches as I did a test by going off the statin for over a year and nothing changed. I'm almost in tears just tying this. Not so much from the pain, but feeling so useless. I was the sole provider for my family of four. DH has finally graduated from school, but is dragging his feet on getting a job or the certifications he needs to get a good job. I don't know what's wrong with him either. What a nightmare. We're about 25k in credit card debt. I'm not making enough money to even cover my mortgage....My unemployment is barely enough to cover COBRA for just myself, my husband and son are not covered. I pray everyday that nothing "accidental" happens to either one of them. It could wipe us out financially.

I don't know if I'll ever have "gainful"employment again. I'm not sure if I sure if I should apply for SSD or not. Any advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

PS.... I'm very cloe to 50 years old if that makes any difference at all.

• weather is crap here to. its usually warm here for awile. its been rainy and cold and the warm and back to cold. the nights are almost unbearable in the forties and fifties then back to the eighties and now going back down to the seventies with possibilities of storms its killing me here. all i can do is cry and i have been doing enough of that anyway this only adds to it. sorry for everyones pain hope its better tomorrow.

hugs to you all and wishing you a painfree night
  • This weather is SO hard for us to handle! I feel your pain - literally ;)

I am like the tinman when I go outside I freeze up with each minute I am outside. Inside is not very easy on the joints either.

I was talking to my PT about the weather and the changes it has on us and he said "I am not sure how much of that I buy". :jawdrop:

I was ready to change PT people - he made me so upset.

Any ways lets hope/pray that some day soon the medical world comes up with something to help us.

I don't even want to image how and I wold be without celabrex. ( sp? )

My thoughts are with you and with Blitz :)
  • I have told my pain doc many times how bad the weather affects things for me, and she hasn't really seemed to buy it either. She had knee surgery about 6 months ago and last time I saw her, she told me, you know I have never understood when my patients talk about how the weather makes them hurt worse, but my knee just kills me when the weather changes.. I couldn't believe it.. I think it was good she can understand a little bit about that now, but she is MY doctor and thought that, imagine what everyone else thinks when you mention that. I know my husband says, oh dear, you hurt all the time no matter what kind of weather it is.
  • I feel so bad for you. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have not been there - yet but am teetering on the edge. The only thing saving us is this stupid job I have to come to everyday and it's killing me. My husband is in construction which has really gone down hill. I wish so bad I could take a medical, but we would lose everything, it just sucks.
    It sounds like maybe you should get another opinion or doctor that can better help you manage your pain? I know that is really hard too but it isn't right. There has got to be some doctors out there that at least try and understand what it's like and provide better relief, rather it's better and stronger drugs, or whatever it takes. This kind of living just isn't a life and it's not fair at all.
  • It stinks. We had rain and snow yesterday and it froze last night. What a miserable freaking night - ugh, then up to be here to work by 6:30. I am so thankful that today is MY Friday at least! I can look forward to three days of peace!
    Take care, let's all pray for sunshine and warmth!
  • With another cold front! Omg I'm gonna live, at least I keep telling myself that.
    Really wish it would just change already. This cool to hot and over and over again is just ridiculous.
    Patty, lived up there in Wa.with sister on Whidby island(sp?) so beautiful!
    The beauty can almost help the pain, LOL. But not!
    Mouse and all, it's so good to know we are not alone, what would we do if we were, sheeesh! Could only imagine!
    Hope you gave a good as you can kinda weekend!
    Prayers for all!
  • You know I believe that anyone who says weather does not effect pain has lived a blessed life with NO injuries. Every injury I have ever done to a bone or joint has hurt for a minimum of two years after when the weather changes.

• I saw snowflakes this morning amongst the cold rain!!!! And my leg and sciatic pain was through the roof today, almost causing me to see stars... (lol, but not really funny...)
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • It has dropped to 50's here this morn. I am in more pain than I have been in a couple of weeks. My whole body hurts. It needs to stop it already!!!!
  • It's a painful day in Michigan! My family doc explained pressure systems to me this way- If you put your hand on a sponge and press down the sponge shrinks, when you let your hand off it swells back up. I take that to mean a low pressure system will cause any inflamation we have to swell more. I do notice I feel much worse in a low pressure system. Like today. Cold and rainy days bite. At least we have eachother, we're all in this together.
    Faith M
  • And thank God for that, it really sux being alone in it!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    For some people this can be a major impact to their pain levels, for others, its hardly noticeable.
    I am from the Northeast (New York, now CT) and am accustomed to seasonal changes. It used to bother me a lot more, but I would say for the past 10-15 years, weather changes really does not impact my spinal conditions.
    What it does do is effects my emotional status. In the winter, I hibernate like a bear, come spring I jump out of my den and find a million things to do every day and look for more.. Come summer, I slow down a bit and take in all the beauty (plus spend time on our boat). In the fall, I start to gather acorns to get ready for the winter hibernation
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I know one thing that helps me, which I need to start again since summer is passed, is lying in a tanning bed. Not so much for the tan, but the therapeutic effects of the light.
    Wish I had one of those lights that is just for that at home. It really helps the mental slide that cloudy,rainy days and winter blues bring about.
  • If you can't get a full spectrum light, I've read that a very bright light bulb can work. I think you're supposed to do it in the morning to imitate the sunrise when there isn't one. I tried it for awhile and don't recall it helping. Anything is worth a try right? No sunrise for me today. Again.
    Faith M
  • is definitely a factor; I try to put in as many of those new bright light LEDs as possible around me for darker days, but I am hugely affected my barometric pressure well as- it was sunny yesterday morning, when woke up around my usual "4", by noon I was an "8+" before the skies turned- then the clouds starting rolling in and then the rain...now the forecast says eight straight days of rain!!
  • Effect me as well, however after the barometer has stabilized, so does the discomfort.

A non-shaded incandescent light helps far more than a diffused compact fluorescent.

• The weather definitely affects me as well. I hate the rain and dampness it brings along with it. As for the light issue, it's so funny how we are all different. I don't like the long days of summer, and I have very low wattage lights in my house!! I lived in both the arctic and the sub-arctic, and hated the six months of light, it screwed up my system more than the six months of darkness!! I think for me though, it's a comfort thing. I like the darkness, with low, warm, cozy lights, especially at christmas, with the glow of christmas lights. I always have candles burning at night, as well, for me, the glow of low light is soothing, as opposed to the glare of bright light. If it was possible, I'd think I was a vampire in a previous life!!! =))
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
This discussion has been closed.