Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervial medial branch blocks...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Can anybody answer this question for me.
I'm about to get medial branch blocks that
my doctor ordered. His order was for c3-6.
My insurance approval came back and says
medial branch blocks approved for c4-5, c5-6.
Is this correct or has something been overlooked
from the doctors' notes. I believe my painful spasms
are coming from a 2mm retrolithesis of c-3 over c-4.
I understand the nerve root that exits the c3-4 level
is the fourth nerve root that branches off to the
medial branch to the facet joint. Is it just different
teminology for the same joint?

• I have no clue sorry.

I do know that some times they use the blocks to help isolate the problem.

Are you seeing a NS or OS as the doctor? What tests have you had.

I had retro on my lumbar spine and my fusion stopped the movement. Every time I walked I had backward sliding vertabrae. It did not show up in MRI only the flexion extension xrays.

• Is that a nerve block they are putting in for diagnostic purposes? I had them put in for diagnostic reasons but not to give any longer term pain relief. Although we did multiple levels, they did one at a time to see which level was causing the pain. I would think if they are addressing the c3 nerve they will need to be in at c3-c4 level. If the surgeon is addressing a facet issue you maybe good to go. If it was me, I would call the surgeon and ask just what nerve roots/or facets he is addressing? Let us know how it turns out.
  • I had the Medial Nerve Block done yesterday (11:30am) for diagnostic purposes. I believe its the first time I have slep more than two hours since my accident on 6-9-09. But the pain came back at around 9:00pm that night. Only thing is when I received the injections there was no sedative given, and it hurt like hell.
    I have a plate in C-6 and C-7, placed there in 2000 after a vehicle accident, second accident was june of 2009. EMG, MRI, came back negative, but i have pain from my neck that shoots down my right arm into my hand, with numbness and a tingling sensation in my little and ring finger.When I make a fist or raise my right arm above my shoulder I get the shooting pains all over again. As of yesterday diagnostics have included Epidural, Facet block injection, epidural with catheter, and now a Medial Branch Nerve Block.
    The PM doctor is hinting at a Rhizotomy, from what I read this is a short lived fix. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this..cause I dont know what to expect next.