Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Operation was due to be today, postponed last minute

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,
well today, Sept 29th, was supposed to be the day I had my decompression and instrumented fusion operation (L4/5).
Unfortunately the operation has been postponed at the last minute. I live in Edinburgh, Scotland – this is the UK National Health Service. So here I am at home, wishing it was all over and I don’t even know when I will be having it or who will be doing it. I am not getting any answers from the hospital. My surgeon leaves to take up a new post in Ireland tomorrow, and there is no replacement for him in post yet. I have asked if I can transfer to another doctor’s list and they said they would look into it; otherwise I have to wait for the replacement to turn up – whoever it may be. (There is talk of a (random) temp coming in). If a new person turns up and I don't rate his experience in this area, I can try and get on someone else's list but the waiting starts all over again. I cannot afford to pay privately for the operation, so I have very little control over what happens. I can only afford to be off work so long, because I won’t get sick pay; so obviously I am really worried. I stopped work a few weeks ago because the pain and then the pain meds meant I just couldn’t function properly.
I spent the last few weeks getting my head round having to have this, and had got myself really positive, looking forward to my new life after recovery. Also,my friend had arranged holiday from work to look after me for the first week.
I think it is the uncertainty of it that is getting to me. I am sure the people who are getting surgery today instead of me had a greater need than I do, just makes you wonder if you have to be a total emergency to get to the top of the list. At this rate I will always be a lower priority, and I have heard of others getting postponed several times in a row. I surely hope that’s not me, but hey, I can’t do anything about it anyway! Sorry, just needed a moan. Sometimes you have to just laugh (hysterically) or you would cry…

• :X Bless your heart, that is a heartbreaker to be set mentally for this operation and then have it postponed. Boy, this is where stress management comes in (LOL!). Thanks goodness for good friends to help you through it.

Let's think positive that the replacement doctor will turn out to be a very experienced and compassionate doctor and you'll find out quickly when you'll be rescheduled. The mind is a powerful thing and we just have to keep filling it with positive thoughts instead of negative (saying that for my benefit also).

This is definitely the place to MOAN -- we all "get it" here and support each other so we don't all go nuts (LOL!).

Take care Silver and although I haven't had surgery, many more people on this site have had your surgery and I'm sure they'll give you some information on their experience with recovery.

Keep your chin up,

• Wow- I can't believe that you got so close and now hwave to deal with the let down as well as the red tape. Not knowing who is going to the the surgery has got to be frustrating too. We all feel for you. I hope that you get some answers and relief soon.
  • Its such a disappointment to be scheduled, get all worked up (both stressed and excited that there is a means to get better), but if there was a cancellation it was probably for a good reason. Surgeons aren't machines and its better to have the right one under the right conditions that one who is overworked or sick or whatever the reason they couldn't do the surgery. So keep the faith, and hang in there! All things happen for a reason and maybe it was for the best that your surgery was postponed!
  • Sorry your surgery has been postponed, especially when you'd psyched yourself up for it. I had my surgery date rescheduled and felt really unsettled and out of balance. Next day I was ok, but your situation is different with the National Health. Do check back with them if you don't hear anything more soon and hopefully you won't go to the bottom of the list. Do they know about your work situation?

Are you able to get Government assistance to cover you while you don't get paid from work?

Hope it's not too long before your surgery is rescheduled and then you can move forward again.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • :< I can't even imagine your frustration. Really. Oh my, just do your best to hang in there and i will send every good thought, vibe, prayer, whatever i have in my heart just for you.
  • Hi
    Thanks for all the support, it really does help. After many phone calls and getting nowhere, I finanlly called the Patient Liaison Service today. They thought it was terrible that no-one had bothered to let me know what was happening and took it upon themselves to find out what was going on.
    I found out within 2 hours that my operation has been classified as urgent, and will definitely be happening within the next 2 weeks. I still don't know who will be doing it, but I am very relieved the wait won't be too long. I may get called to go in at very short notice, but I am ready!
    Thanks for all your prayers and positive vibes - I truly believe they make a difference.
  • Hi Silver girl

You must be so relieved that your surgery will be going ahead soon. Good too that you persevered and kept ringing until you found out what was happening. It shouldn't be that way as it only increases the pain level and depression.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery and recovery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I am so sorry your surgery was cancelled at the last minute but happy to hear you are on the urgent list and will soon have a date.

Please keep us posted on your new date!

Best wishes, will be thinking of you.
  • Hi
    Today I found out that I have new pre-op appointment with a different surgeon next Tuesday (Oct 13th), and if all goes well, I will get my operation the next day! So, I am very much relieved and looking forward to being on the recovery side of things. I feel that reading all the posts on here have prepared me so much ( much more than the hospital!) for what is to come. So...let me check if I have this right:
    Pre-Op: Follow the wonderful list and be as prepared as possible. Do core strengthening exercises if I can.
    Weeks 1-2: Make sure I get plenty of pain relief and accept all help going!
    Weeks 3-4: It will be pretty much hell and I will wonder why I have done this to myself. I need to walk as much as I can and don't try to rush recovery.
    After week 4: I will start to notice a real reduction in pain and start to feel like life is worth living. I still should not rush anything!

Apart from this, remember everyone is different and recovers at a different rate.

Anything I have forgotten? Let me know!