Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower right side back pain!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
ive had this bad back pain on the lower right side for about a year and im 16 now and i play competitive sports year round

in the past month its gotten so bad i cannot walk
i went a chiropractor and doctor and they think its either a herniated disc or pinched nerve

so i was sent for xrays but they doubted they would find anything so i got that done and i still need to go for an mri

but what we didnt expect to find in the x ray is that i have an extra vertibrae.. is that uncommon and would that be causing the pain?


  • It is not common but it is not unusual either. This site has many excellent articles written by spinal specialists. You can read about the extra vertebra here:


    Since you are still growing and are involved with sports, I hope you are seeing a fellowship=trained spinal specialist. This can be an orthopedic SPINAL surgeon (not any old ortho) or a neurosurgeon who has additional training in the spine and devotes his/her practice to issues of the spine and back.

    The best opportunity to deal with a problem, IF surgery is required, is the FIRST time around. You don't want to end up wishing you'd gone to a more experienced surgeon. These specialists will try conservative treatments first and will not suggest you jump into a surgery. You will be able to get an accurate diagnosis without wasting a lot of time.

    A chiropractor has a place in the medical profession, but you need to know what is wrong with your spine before you agree to any treatment. In some cases, it can do more harm than good. I would be particularly careful since you are still growing.

    As a matter of fact, if you live in or near a big city or a university teaching hospital, you might want to look for a pediatric, sports medicine guy who is also a spinal specialist! If your problem is not complex, this would not be necessary.

    Good luck to you. Let us know what you find out.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.