Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shmorel's Nodule L5-S1 and disks protrusions and sciatica, scared to get pregnant?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi Guys,
I will appreciate all your advises or personal experiences that you could share with me regarding my concern.
First of all, I have been diagnosed last year with osteochondrosis of lumbosacral with protrusions of the disks L4-L5 and L5-S1 with Shmorel's nodule in L5-S1.
My main concern is about pregnancy and how bad pain can be and what will be after. I had physical therapy and even right now have to take once in awhile some painkillers, always have sciatica down my right leg (burning and stretching painful and tight feeling, main pain is in my right side of buttocks). The doctors also told not to lift anything over 5lbs and basically follow the rule of BLT (no bending, lifting or twisting).
I am scared to get pregnant because of the potential back problems that it will be even worse so I have decided not to have any children but then I feel even more worse that I am trying to be selfish or something. But then if I will get worse and less active and be always on pills than what can I give a baby who will need an active mother, this thinking kills me. I was gymnast in the past so going to the gym it's like a breathing for me, I can not jog anymore but do exercise on a daily basis to make my core muscles stronger as well as swimming. So please share your personal experience with similar back issues!

• Have you been told that you cannot have surgery to relieve the nerve compression that is resulting in your sciatic pain? Is the condition stable or do they expect it to continue to deteriorate?

Regarding having a baby, I'm sure there are ways in which you could do this. I guess it would just depend on what you are willing to go through, if things turn out to be as difficult as you're thinking they might be. After all, ladies confined to a wheelchair have become mothers and found a way to care for their infants.

Have you talked with an obstetrician about this? This might be a good place to start.