Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

?'s trigger point injections & possible new pain meds

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been diagnosed with failed surgery meaning that I am in more pain than before my acdf c5/6.
I went to a new PM who did trigger point injections yesterday. OMG! The pain is much worse than before in my shoulders & when I turn my neck.
He also wants to put me on methadone. He says that it is the best long term chronic pain med. I keep hearing horror stories about this med. I'm asking for any eperiences with this med. My Dr.'s do not want to give me oxys as for tolerance issues. I would think they wouldn't want to rx the methadone even more? I could be totally wrong.
They seem to think that I will be medicated for years to come.
Looking for experiences with trigger point injections, does it get better? & Methadone users experience.
Thank you

• I have these at least every other week for the same reason as you.
    The shots do cause pain (which is from the needle being moved into different angles after the initial poke) for a day or two and only last a few days to a week for me.
    I'm taking mscontin and baclofen now after being on hydracodone and soma that did nothing for me. I can tell they are working better now.I've had these shots from just 4 to 12 all the way down my spine fir the last 5 years. At one point I was getting the 12 twice a week to help me through til I had surgery and now less since surgery. And every two weeks I get one in booty afterwards to bt. And help shots work a little better.
    Good luck to you. Feel free to pm me anytime.

• I do not take methadone myself, but just wanted to comment on it. You do have to prepare yourself for the ignorance of the medical community and society in general regarding this drug and it's stigma. I know from work, many "professionals" have no idea methadone is used as a chronic pain med and assume someone is a heroin addict if on it. I have a couple of friends who have had pharmacy employees(the ones that check you out, I guess techs) treat them differently once the methadone started like they were some kind of druggies.

I know there are people who successfully use this drug for pain relief and not trying to sway you away from it. I just wanted to prep you for the possible stigma that results from the ignorance of others. I hope this medicine, if you choose it, does work for you.

I understand that it can be quite constipating(more so than regular narcs), take several days to start working as it has to saturate the fat cells before the pain relief starts(so if you lose a sudden amount of weight or gain your dose might have to be adjusted), and that you have to really take care of your teeth because it dries up your saliva a bit so you are more prone to cavities if you don't brush a couple of times a day(or rinse with mouthwash.)

I hope that your doc has a lot of experience in prescribing it(lots of US docs don't) so he knows how to properly adjust doses. I would ask how many years he's been prescribing it and how many of his patients are on it. Like I said, don't want to scare you off cuz every drug has side effects and stigma, just wanted to make you aware of my friends' experiences with a couple of different pharmacies(tho I think they looked at me funny for oxy at one) and the ignorance in the general medical community.

Makes me laugh about the oxy tolerance issue cuz if they had our pain it would be a different story!
  • Hi Kimmeam,

As far as doing trigger points, yes they do smart a bit the first day out. Did your pm set you up with a message to work the meds into the trigger points. It can help so much with the knots and and relieves the pain from the injections. Do you still have your hardware in? Is that hardware posterior or anterior hardware? I posted this video in neck pain a few days ago and thought I would post it for you as well. This condition can become chronic, as well.

As far as the methadone, I don't have any experience with it at all. I hope they are keeping you on a muscle relaxer as well. I forget did you have myelopathy before having surgery?
  • anyone have the radiofrequency procedure? sensory nerves are supposed to die and stop the pain gradually. i get some relief from zanaflex, valium and cataflam and have lorcet for emergencies. very few physicians will prescribe pain meds in my area. after 10 spine surgeries, i am finished, but still in a lot of pain.
  • Before I comment are you talking about rhizotomy? Where they burn the nerve endings? Is that the same thing?
  • i don't know what the tech term for it is. but as of now medicare will not pay for it.
  • the spine pain management said they burn the nerves
  • Well that sux Medicare don't pay, I'm on meicaid myself and understand the frustration of what they will and won't pay for.
    I had the proceedure done in c-spine after first neck surgery,when I had insurance, and it hurt like heck and didn't help. But I think it didn't help cuz I had another disc out in seperate c- level which occurred 6 mths after 1st surgery. The 2nd one is what I had failed surgery with. And never tried the rhizotomy again. Even esi's didn't work for my neck. But feeling like I have another disc out cuz it feels like the last 2.
    Hmmmm, since Medicare doesn't pay, what are your options at this point?
  • They do pay for esi's... And I'm thinking of giving it another try in neck myself. That did work for sciatic pain in lower back and legs and am soon having that done again soon since the last one is wore off now.
  • yes wore off that is what i am afraid of. it certainly is a daily battle. thanks for the help
  • But after working for a year, that was a year of no pain in low back and legs!!!
    Well worth doing again!
  • hi kimmeam
    I would like to pm you if possible about this medication and my experience.
  • i have been having injection for 8 years now, I never get any relieve. I have had trigger point, facet, and epidural injections, and always after the next day can bearly get out of bed. I am refusing to have any more, Which hen my doctor states I am refusing treatment. So on the look for a new doctor. I have never taken methadone, but have not had any relief with morphine, oxy, the best thing that I had was a fentanyl patch 50 mg every hour the patch stays on for 2 to 3 days. Only time in 8 years didn't have problems working and living my life.
  • I think that after 8 years of injections and no relief, you certainly shouldn't continue getting them. I've decided not to get injections any longer because I've never received any relief from them. I just had radiofrequency nerve ablation and didn't get any relief from that procedure either...done with that. I recently had the trial for a nerve stimulator which didn't provide me with any relief. I have low back pain (sacrum/coccyx). I agree with you and would seek out another doctor. Can't help you with advice on meds because I'm allergic to most medications and it is really difficult for me to get any relief. I do use a lot of ice packs.
  • It's been just about a week since the trigger point injections. It doesn't hurt as bad as the first day. I guess that's better. But, I did not get the relief that I was expecting.
    What's next? I don't know. All of this is very frustrating.
  • I had it done about a month ago, nothing new with pain, right side is still painful and it radiates down my right leg. my left side was like on fire after the 5 days, it seems to get worse. just what happened to me. how about you.
  • as far as a pain medication it turned my life around, i was on a constant oxy this fentynal that roller coaster that ruined my personal life and marriage. consider this, i was on a 100mg fentynal patch and taking 40 mg x 3 of oxycontin a day and no matter what on the third day of the patch i felt like i weighed 500 lbs and felt suicidal. i tried every drug out there for chronic pain, i am an amputee with a disk problem among other back issues from working my whole life. finally i started taking 20mg of methadone once or twice a day and am also allowed oxycodone for break thru pain and it works better than anything ever has. but it is true there is definately a stigma associated to it because people dont realize its a 24 hour pain med that got hijacked by opiate dependancy clinics. so expect to be looked down at, expect to maybe not get a certain job you applied for..... but while thinking about those things consider this? if you have a chronic pain condition thats expected to last the rest of your days why worry about addiction, its not addiction its dependancy and dependency is the same for the chronic pain sufferer as it is for the person w/ high blood pressure or diabetes that requires the drugs to survive. if you can live on the opiates and it not diminish your life like some can please all means continue with that. but if you felt like i did then i can assure you if you just want to feel normal and not have pain for the most part try the methadone, just keep it real and dont take more than you need.
This discussion has been closed.